Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-06-2018, 10:58 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the info.

And in your opinion which is best in terms of quality colour corrections, Vdub or Premier Pro?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quality color correction (inn the video business it's called "color grading" or "color timing") is arrived at through experience, a knowledge of color theory and essentials, and clean processing controls. VirtualDub has clean-working color controls, some of which mimic those in expensive NLE's -- gradation curves, Color Mill, aids such as histograms and vectorscopes, pixel readers, and a few others. Go with Premiere for those same controls plus many others more sophisticated, such as detailed multi-color levels, saturation, curves with color substitution and range selection tools, and so forth. Learn basics such as staying away from "brightnesss" and :"contrast" controls most of the time and working with levels and curves. Correction and quality comes from knowing the controls. If you buy into Premiere and just use the same simplified Red-Green-Blue sliders that come with even the lowest-cost NLE's, instead of using more sophisticated Levels and Premiere's ColorFinesse plugin, you're wasting your money and can do better with VirtualDub.

One thing the Adobe community offers all over the internet are free color tutorials for Premiere and AfterEffects from many websites. That's a good way to learn to use the controls. Another good way is to get a standard book on digital color correction, one that's easy to read and popular with the general public. A good one is Color Correction Handbook, by Alexis Van Hurkman, an international standard used by hobbyists and pros alike. Not exactly a cheap book, but it has little competition for new and advanced users, and it takes you from the basics to the big time.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-06-2018)
05-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Free Member

Thanks yet again.

I've gotten hold of some samples with noises. Shall i post them in this thread for getting an even better understanding & gain some experience as well for dealing with removing noises?
05-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

If the noises are a different type besides scratches they'll require different filters, so I suggest a new thread.
05-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Free Member

Some of them have Grain like spots.
05-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

I'd start a new thread in the restoration forum (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/).
05-07-2018, 02:41 AM
Free Member

Oh... Alright!
05-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

The following query was received in PM. Moderators ask that requests for tech or scripting information should not be submitted in PM. That's not what PM is for. Questions like this belong in the forum, where other readers can share information:

Quote:
Btw, how did you create the combined video of the original bad frames and the repaired good frames?
The video referred to is Chinnvar bad frames before_vs_after.mp4, attached to post #33 and discussed in that post. The video frame has two images side by side, with the original damaged frames on the left and the matching, repaired frames on the right.

Two lossless Avi's were produced. The first one was a short edited clip of bad frames, the second was the repaired version of the same frames. The images were combined in an Avisynth script that produced a third video which combined the two images. Using plain language to show how this works in Avisynth, the script opens two video files at the same time:

Code:
vid1=AviSource("drive:\path\to\damaged.avi").Spline36Resize(640,480)
vid2=AviSource("drive:\path\to\repaired.avi").Spline36Resize(640,480)
The video was encoded to h.264 with TMPGenc Video Mastering Works.
Return StackHorizontal(vid1,vid2)
StackHorizontal(): http://avisynth.nl/index.php/StackHorizontal
This plays best with non-interlaced and non-telecined video.
The resulting lossless Avi was encoded to h.264 with TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5.

Last edited by sanlyn; 05-09-2018 at 09:19 PM.
05-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

You know, I can't believe the errors I'm getting with this old Dell keyboard. Whole lines just don't display in the correct position on the screen. The sceript in the post above has an entire line of text in the wrong place. Time for this old Dell to take a hike.
Jeeze.

The script above should read:
Code:
vid1=AviSource("drive:\path\to\damaged.avi").Spline36Resize(640,480)
vid2=AviSource("drive:\path\to\repaired.avi").Spline36Resize(640,480)

Return StackHorizontal(vid1,vid2)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-10-2018)
05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Free Member

I did put the NicAudio dll file in the plugins folder but it's not working. Please help.
05-10-2018, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Hm. Sorry you're having a problem.
If you get an error message, what does it say?
You should also post a copy of your script when you have Avisynth script problems.
05-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Free Member

This was my script:

Code:
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\MDG2.avs") 
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\RemoveDirtMC.avs") 

aud=NicMPG123Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\"
   \+ "Chinnvar Movie Comedya PID 125 L2 2ch 48 256 DELAY 5ms.mp2", 
   \normalize=false) 

vid=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\Chinnvar Movie Comedya.d2v") 
AudioDub(vid,aud) 

Source1=last 
a=source1.SelectEvery(3,0).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2() 
b=source1.SelectEvery(3,1).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2() 
c=source1.SelectEvery(3,2).RemoveDirtMC(50,false).RemoveSpotsMC2().MDG2() 
Interleave(a,b,c) 

LimitedSharpenFaster() 
AddGrainC(1.5,1.5) 
return last
I've attached the error message.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error Message NicAudio.jpg (37.9 KB, 2 downloads)
05-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for posting.

The script looks OK to me. I suppose you've checked that NicAudio.dll is in your Avisynth plugins folder at "C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins".

If this still doesn't work, you can use FFMS2 to pull audio directly from the same .ts file. But try NicAudio again to be sure everything's where it is supposed to be. Actually there are several ways to do this, including telling VirtualDubb to load the audio mp2 when running the script.

I tried it with FFMS2 if NicAudio refuses to cooperate, but offhand I don't see why you get that message. FFMS2 requires two plugins: ffms2.dll and ffms2.avsi. They should load automatically if they're in your plugins folder.

I did it this way, changing my script to reflect the same paths you seem to be using. Correct the .ts file name if it's not correct below:

Code:
aud=ffAudioSource("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\"
   \+ "Chinnvar Movie Comedya.ts")

vid=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Adithya TV Comedy Collection\Chinnvar Movie Comedya.d2v") 
AudioDub(vid,aud)
It's a rather clunky way of doing it, but it worked just now. FFMS2 is ok for audio most of the time, but for the video track it's not as accurate as DGindex/MPEG2Sourtce. FFMS2 was used earlier in the scripts for your mp4 samples. FFMS2 in 7zip form is here: https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releas...2-2.22-msvc.7z. The file unzips into a folder named "ffms2-2.22-msvc". Inside that root folder you'll fine ffms2.avsi. Copy that to your plugins. In a subfolder named "x86" you'll find the 32-bit version of ffms2.dll, which also goes in your plugins.

If you don't have 7zip, it's very handy. And its free. https://www.7-zip.org/. Use the 32-bit version. The installer is simply nothing, and it adds a link to 7Zip in your right-click context menus. Why do so many plugins and add-ons use 7Zip? Beats me.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-11-2018)
05-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Free Member

Hey sanlyn one error after another.
Now i get an error message on SelectEvery(). I'm attaching the error message.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Error Message SelectEvery.jpg (26.7 KB, 3 downloads)
05-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the error msg (almost unreadable, too blurry. Use .png format, not jpg). But I can't see the statement in question, so I don't know what to say.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-11-2018)
05-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukukuhi View Post
attaching the error message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
unreadable, too blurry.
When using Windows, use Greenshot.

Capture just what's important, markup if needed, etc. I've used it for 6+ years now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-11-2018)
05-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Free Member

Ok I'll post a clear one tomorrow.

@ lordsmurf
Thanks for the share.
05-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Note that if you're getting a message about a line in a script, include a copy of the script. Can't do anything without the script itself.
05-12-2018, 06:28 AM
Free Member

I'll type out the error message as the blur effect is caused only after the upload. It's clear on my end.

The error message is as follows:

VirtualDub Error

Avisynth open failure:
Script error: Invalid arguments to function 'SelectEvery'
(c:\Users\SGK\Desktop\Chinnvar Movie Comedya.avs, line 12)

And i've attached my script.

Attached Files
File Type: avs Chinnvar Movie Comedya.avs (744 Bytes, 2 downloads)
05-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

I tried to submit a detailed and color-formatted answer, but the forum's censoring text scanner thinks there's a dirty word in there some where and refuses to let me post the explanation. I don't see any nasty boo-boo's in the text and I'm tired of looking fort it.

Basically, your script contains a disabled statement that causes the error. The statement in your script is:

Code:
#AudioDub(vid,aud)
If you remove the "# comment mark and allow that statement to execute as it originally did, the script will work. I have attached a detailed explanation in the form of a zip'd Rich Text File (.rtf) that can be opened by any app that can read .rtf, including Microsoft Word and the free Windows WordPad that comes with all versions of Windows from XP to W10.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Explanation_rtf.zip (1.8 KB, 1 downloads)

Last edited by sanlyn; 05-12-2018 at 05:10 PM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: yukukuhi (05-13-2018)