Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Free Member

Hello friends

I have an old (1982) NTSC VHS tape with a stereo Dolby audio soundtrack.
On all the VCR I have tried it plays in mono.

As I don't despair to grab this soundtrack in stereo I'm in search of references
for VHS decks that were able to play this kind of audio.

With that, I hope to find a deck for sale somewhere, somewhat, somehow
and buy it for a digital transfert.

Any help on that matter appreciated.

All the best from France.
Jean-Manuel
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
NJRoadfan seems to be the member most familiar with Dolby.
PM him, ask him to reply to this thread (don't ask for help in PMs, do that in-thread).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Free Member

I suspect that this was recorded on one of the few VCR models models that had a stereo linear track? Some of them offered Dolby noise reduction as well, and the offerings faded away as stereo Hi-Fi was introduced to VHS machines. If played on a more common VCR with a mono linear track you will hear mono sound, and there very likely is no Hi-FI track.

If this is the case you will have to find a machine with a stereo linear track and Dolby, or a similarly equipped service provider. I once had a RCA VKP900 dockable/portable VCR with a stereo linear track (in the 1980s). There were other nameplates sold as well, but i do not have any other make/model numbers at hand. You still see them on eBay and other auction and used gear sites, but their condition can be problematic. The machines date back 30+ years, and many components such as belts and rubber drives/idlers have aged accordingly.
05-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Also: You'd just use it to capture audio. The video will most likely be crap quality. You'll re-merge in an NLE, using a capture from a better setup for the video..

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Free Member

Yes Dolby Stereo was the Dolby encoded stereo linear edge tracks. Very hard to find decks to play those now - but in the UK many of the Panasonic AG industrial range have this option - maybe the same for the US?

What I find interesting is that these Dolby Stereo tapes were being made (albeit often unmentioned on the tape packaging) right to the end of VHS production. Most pre-recorded tapes are linear stereo.

Sometimes this linear stereo sounds better than the degraded HiFi track with its pops and buzzes.
06-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Free Member

What I hate is when the ruin movies on VHS!!!

Example: ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING (1987)

On the box it says "PRESENTED IN DIGITALLY PROCESSED HIFI STEREO"

Well thats fine but I DONT WANNA HEAR THAT THIN GARBAGE... I want the original analog audio of this movie!!

WHY IS THE LINEAR TRACK ALSO RUINED?? (It has the same thin digitally processed sound)

Alot of movies have been ruined on VHS from the mid 80s on ..... MOSTLY BY USA COMPANIES!!
06-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Free Member

Its hard to find really good sound on movies. So many have been released over and over again but never as good as original theatrical release. My grumble is muddy dialogue with too much treble boost so it sounds harsh and unlike a voice should. Perhaps they are trying to boost the surround sound effect? Same for video. I have some 1980's releases of Laurel and Hardy on VHS that look much better than the new DVD's which have jacked up contrast.

Its refreshing to hear some early HiFi VHS tapes with excellent clear sound. I collect these.

Tags
dolby stereo, linear soundtrack, vhs