Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-20-2018, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Perhaps this will save you and others some time and effort:

During the past few years the discussions, questions, answers, hardware, software, and methods for VHS capture have not changed. The only change has been that proper hardware is more scarce and more expensive, and the longer you wait the worse the situation will become. Panasonic DMR EH595 or DMR EH65 are hard drive recorders and PAL equivalents if you can't find a PAL ES10 or ES15. However, there have been some complaints about the "EH" models because their interfaces were changed and abbreviated several times.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (05-20-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-20-2018, 10:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
If you don't see ... you don't understand
That's what we're doing here: teaching him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerowalker View Post
I had a break from the VCR stuff for several years (life).
Yep, precisely. Even I have to step away from certain video topics, sometimes months. So while it may seem as if I've been confused for a year, in actuality I was busy doing other stuff for 364 days of it. It seems our friend Zerowalker is the same. Video is a complex topic, and I see this all the time.

Quote:
then maybe you should let my posts in these questions pass, neither you or i want to waste another ones time
Nah, that's not needed. A mutual understanding apparently needed to be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
During the past few years the discussions, questions, answers, hardware, software, and methods for VHS capture have not changed. The only change has been that proper hardware is more scarce and more expensive
This is mostly true.

The only "new" aspect is that some of us are looking more in-depth at what our hardware can and can't do. And we're seeking alternatives to the most popular devices, hoping to have overlooked something in decades past. I do this constantly, and generally report my findings, as have some others -- though gains are small, if any.

And we have USB cards now. Not really "new", but a late 2000s / early 2010s update.

Defective TBCs, too. Those 2010s Cypress units are ugly creations.

For me, the main advances have been in post-capture restoration. Some of the stuff I can do now was merely fantasy and dreams in the 90s or even 00s.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Free Member

I apologise if i sounded harsh, tried my best to not make it sound that way xd

I do understand that not much has changed, but still there seems to be some opinions here and there, and i find it at times hard to pinpoint stuff from facts.

I have learned a TON from when i did work on it before, i can restore and capture quite decently in my view.

Now the differences for one is that my VCR as said doesn't have good Line TBC (or whatever it has xd).
So i am kinda prioritizing that part, rather then giving the VCR to an external thing that does that work.

(which kinda confused me still, as i thought Line TBC was VCR only, and anything else was external).
Maybe it's that lousy TBC term, or me confusing stuff again;P

I am on the lookout for those DVD, and thanks for the HDD ones, will add them to the list,
don't care if the menu or something is different, as long as the results are the same

Thanks and sorry!