Quantcast FFMPEG, AviSynth, VirtualDub - Which tool for which purpose? - digitalFAQ Forum
Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
07-03-2018, 06:23 AM
naripeddi naripeddi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 244
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I am new to video restoration. I have captured all my VHS family videos into DV-AVI (using Canopus) (I know it is not recommended, but I am in PAL world and have a very good VCR) and Huffyuv. Used DV-AVI for some VHS tapes (before I had access to the ATI 600 USB). Then used Huffyuv for the remaining cassettes once I had the ATI 600 USB stick and recently the Diamond VC500 stick which my friend brought for me from the USA. Using Windows 10 Home edition.

So, all my VHS tapes are captured and safe. Family is happy with the quality of the DVD encodes. These are the wedding videos of my relatives and friends.

Before I get into serious restoration with the source files, I wanted to learn some basics and have been going through DFAQ forum posts, guides, VH posts.

I see FFMPEG, VirtualDub, AviSynth mentioned in almost all places, but I am not able to see which tool is for which purpose, and which tool is best for a specific task.

For example, I know AviSynth is script-based and does a lot of video processing functions. But is it superior to VirtualDub filters for vidoe processing in all respects? FFMPEG also seems to have some filters such as resize??? Do VirtualDub and AviSynth do everything that FFMPEG can do and in a better way?

I am simply unable to connect these things together. I need general guidelines so that I can head in the right direction (in learning).

Any reply will help me understand better.

-- merged --

Is this question too generic to answer?
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
07-05-2018, 01:02 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,643
Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
I am new to video restoration. I have captured all my VHS family videos into DV-AVI (using Canopus) (I know it is not recommended, but I am in PAL world and have a very good VCR) and Huffyuv. Used DV-AVI for some VHS tapes (before I had access to the ATI 600 USB). Then used Huffyuv for the remaining cassettes once I had the ATI 600 USB stick and recently the Diamond VC500 stick which my friend brought for me from the USA. Using Windows 10 Home edition.
So, all my VHS tapes are captured and safe. Family is happy with the quality of the DVD encodes. These are the wedding videos of my relatives and friends.
It sounds like you did an excellent job there.

Quote:
Before I get into serious restoration with the source files, I wanted to learn some basics and have been going through DFAQ forum posts, guides, VH posts.
I see FFMPEG, VirtualDub, AviSynth mentioned in almost all places, but I am not able to see which tool is for which purpose, and which tool is best for a specific task.
ffmpeg never mentioned -- just an encoder engine (used by other apps, or as direct command line to ffmpeg).

VirtualDub = many filters, always AVI encoder used
Avisynth = advanced filter, passed to VirtualDub for processing (and chaining with VirtualDub filters possible
AvsPmod = preview for Avisynth

Avisynth has both 32- and 64-bit versions.
For 32, the 2.6 is current and suggested.
For 64, the Avisynth+ x64 is current and suggested -- but know that install can be screwy. You install this first, then the regular non+ 32.
Some filters only work 32, some only 64. Some both, but better in 64.
Example: KNLmeansCL on in 64, QTGMC in both but best in 64.

Quote:
For example, I know AviSynth is script-based and does a lot of video processing functions. But is it superior to VirtualDub filters for vidoe processing in all respects?
No superior, just different. For example, VirtualDub's CCD is far superior to any current Avisynth chroma noise filter. But in Avisynth you can do chroma offset, and independent tweaking of Cb vs Cr. Avisynth is more granular, more powerful. But still different.

Quote:
FFMPEG also seems to have some filters such as resize??? Do VirtualDub and AviSynth do everything that FFMPEG can do and in a better way?
Yes. As far as I know, can remember, anything ffmpeg can do is superior, faster, and easier in VirtualDub/Avisynth, in terms of filtering. It's an encoder, for the most part.

Quote:
I am simply unable to connect these things together. I need general guidelines so that I can head in the right direction (in learning).
Any reply will help me understand better.
I'll keep explaining as needed. You'll get it.

Quote:
Is this question too generic to answer?
Never.
Generic = I want to do stuff with video stuff.
Not generic = your question.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
07-05-2018, 02:18 AM
naripeddi naripeddi is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 244
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thank you. Got a better idea now with your reply.

I will ask more specific questions as needed. I am eager to write that first AviSynth script and will make an attempt in the next few days...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to load VirtualDub plugins in Avisynth? lordsmurf Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 0 02-13-2018 06:29 AM
VirtualDub and Avisynth filter help? pinheadlarry Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 46 09-17-2014 10:50 PM
Best settings to save an AVI in VirtualDub filtered from Avisynth? Zoink187 Project Planning, Workflows 7 07-23-2014 05:45 AM
Good VHS filter guides? (VirtualDub + Avisynth) premiumcapture Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 3 02-25-2014 11:24 AM
The Purpose of Virtualdub's Chroma Smoother tool? Belmont Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 5 07-19-2012 01:20 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM