Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Free Member

This is related to information in the thread http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ermittent.html. I am splitting this question out because the process required to use a user-defined function and some filters in AviSyth can apply to different situations.

Ok, I'm running on the edge of understanding using user-defined functions and using plugins that contain more than just a dll. I'll start with what I think I know.

Post 10 of the related thread calls for the use of the function ContrastMask. It is not listed anywhere in the AviSynth wiki. I finally found a link in DigitalFAQ. ContrastMask is a script as opposed to a dll. After rereading the AviSynth wiki I figured out that this script is a user-defined function. To get it to work you have to change its extension from avs to avsi and load it in AviSyth's plugins folder. This way it will be loaded automatically by AviSynth.

Now for the really fuzzy part. The script that Sanlyn suggested for my really dark video clip calls ContrastMask. When I run the script, ContrastMask is found but I get an error that the filter GaussianBlur cannot be found. I found GaussianBlut in the AviSnth wiki as part of the broader VariableBlur filter. I'm stuck trying to figure out how to install/use VariableBlur filter. There's a dll and sub-folders to go with it. How do I place this in AviSynth's plugin structure?

Thanks,
Steve
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-16-2018, 03:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You seem to already understand this.

Complex scripts loaded as avsi usually call upon multiple filters, some of which have multiple functions.
It's very case-by-case.
You have to locate not just each filter, but sometimes a specific version of a filter.

For VariableBlur(), just load the variableblur.dll in the plugins folder. The subfolder in the zip file is just source code, not needed. and a readme that is also not needed (in that plugins folder).

Attached Files
File Type: zip variableblur.zip (83.1 KB, 8 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: stevevid (09-16-2018)
09-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

For VariableBlur(), just load the variableblur.dll in the plugins folder. The subfolder in the zip file is just source code, not needed. and a readme that is also not needed (in that plugins folder).
Thanks!

I had read this somewhere in the past. But, when faced with an actual situation, I didn't recognize this was what the instructions were for. Result: I failed to follow the instructions.
09-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Most Avisynth filters and many VDub filters are supplied as compressed "packages" of multiple files, including the filter and usually some documentation such as instructions or html help, or even source code. Don't download those packaged zips into your plugins folder, because when you decompress them you'll get all kinds of files that don't belong in your plugin folders. You'll soon have a plugin folder that's a huge mess.

Create folders on a hard drive on your PC or, better, on an external drive. Use those one or two folders as dedicated areas for filter downloads. Make a subfolder for each filter (I have about 500 of them) and download into those subfolders, where you will unzip those downloads. That way, you'll always know where your original download is located and where you can find other links and docs for those filters. All you need in your plugin folders are copies of the original filters. And if you have a system crash or reinstall, you'll always be able to find all those downloaded folders and filters.