Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Free Member

I have 60 captured VHS files currently in compressed AVI format. Each file has about 4 different family clips -- Smith Kids, Jones Kids, Johnson Christmas, Brown Wedding, etc... I need to assemble DVDs for each family that includes the clips of their kids without all the other content they may or may not be interested in.

I'm thinking my fastest workflow is to encode the captured AVI files into MPEG-2 and then CUT/EDIT using TMPGenc Authoring Works to assemble Family-specific MPEG-2 files -- then author them to DVD.

I would do this to save all the time spent rendering AVI clips into Family-specific files -- seems it would be more efficient to just encode them as is and then CUT/EDIT into final MPEG-2.

Here is the money question -- will this reduce the quality that ends up on the DVD? I'm hoping that once the MPEG-2 clips have been created they can be rearranged and written to DVD without loss of quality.

What do you think?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-07-2018, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rks84093 View Post
I'm thinking my fastest workflow is to encode the captured AVI files into MPEG-2 and then CUT/EDIT using TMPGenc Authoring Works to assemble Family-specific MPEG-2 files -- then author them to DVD.

I would do this to save all the time spent rendering AVI clips into Family-specific files -- seems it would be more efficient to just encode them as is and then CUT/EDIT into final MPEG-2.
Keep in mind nthat lossy encodes like MPEG and h.264 are final delivery formats. Final delivery formats are named final because they are designed to be final versions, not designed for modification without re-encoding and quality loss. Smart-rendering editors like TMPGenc are the only way to edit them without too much damage, but the GOP's around the edit points will be re-encoded.

Quote:
Also, I'm having trouble getting Avidemux to read the Huffyuv files created by VDub -- Lagarith was fine.
I don't use Avidemux, but I never heard of that app having problems with huffyuv. I use huffyuv for capture because it's CPU-friendly, but most people use Lagarith for lossless intermediate working AVI's, especially since many work files are saved as YV12. Huffyuv can't compress YV12 files.

Quote:
Why fix the stain rather than just writing over it with a black border? Its great education (thanks!), but what if I just AddBorders() and maintain the proper aspect... Is there a downside to such an approach?
Your choice. The script posted below for an interlaced version crops 24 pixels off the left-hand side before making new border pixels.

Quote:
I won't be de-interlacing, but should I still DeNoise? If so, should I use the QTGMC scripts or other?
Some filters require deinterlacing, and you have some aliasing, sawtooth edges, motion shimmer and tyhe remnants of floating tape grunge to clean up. That's why I used QTGMC. Denoisers won't clean poor interlacing. The script posted below re-interlaces after cleanup.

Quote:
Don't know if it is worth the time investment to encode with two-pass VBR. What do you think?
I think you would be making a mistake. Two-pass variable bitrate encoding is the DVD standard for the most efficient encoding and best use of bitrate, especially with videos that are marred by jumpy camera motion.

Here's the script I used for the attached interlaced 29.97i mpeg version. It's msimilarv to the previous script but there are differences in the way QTGMC is used, the vInverse plugin is used to calm excessive combing on playback, the FixVHSovertsharp plugin is used to reduce edge halos, I omitted the stabilizer, and there is no anti-stain routine.

Code:
AVISource("D:\forum\faq\rks84093\Sample 1b.avi")
ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields()
FixVHSOversharp(20,16,12)   # <- for right-edge halo
FixVHSOversharpL(20,12,8)   # <- for left-edge halo
Weave()

ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)
QTGMC(preset="medium",border=true,ChromaNoise=true,DenoiseMC=true,GrainRestore=0.3)
vInverse2()
ChromaShift(L=-4,C=-4)
LimitedSharpenFaster()
AddGrainC(1.25,1.25)
Crop(24,0,-8,-8).AddBorders(16,4,16,4)

# ---- re-interlace ---- #
SeparateFields().SelectEvery(4,0,3).Weave()
ConvertToRGB32(interlaced=true)
return last
The FixVHSoversharp dll plugin is attached.

The vInverse/vInverse2 dll plugin download wiki page is at http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Vinverse. The plugin requires the VisualC++ 2012 runtime, which is linked on the download page. If you installed the QTGMC package, you have the 2012 files.

In VirtualDub I applied the same RGB color filters that I mentioned in the previous script.

Attached Files
File Type: zip fixvhsoversharp_25_dll_20030723.zip (16.7 KB, 14 downloads)
File Type: mpg Sample1b_29.97i.mpg (9.69 MB, 2 downloads)
11-07-2018, 11:02 PM
Free Member

@sanlyn, I think some parts of your response are for another thread started by the same user: rks84093

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ove-video.html
11-08-2018, 02:55 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naripeddi View Post
@sanlyn, I think some parts of your response are for another thread started by the same user: rks84093

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ove-video.html
Yes, the new script does refer to the other thread you mention. I should have included a link to that thread in my response. My bad.
11-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Free Member

Thank you!