Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Nothing is committed until a new file is saved. A file that is currently open for processing cannot be overwritten in Windows.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: willow5 (03-15-2019)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-19-2019, 03:22 PM
Free Member

Hi Sanlyn,

I have been systematically working my way through the useful information you provided but I got stumped at the first hurdle. So I downloaded QTGMC zip as instructed and created subfolders in a new plugin folder for each zip I found but when I proceeded to the next steps, I cannot seem to find the avs scripts you are referring to in the QTGMC package. Am I doing something wrong?

"Now for line-by-line details on the Avisynth script in post #5 :

Import("D:\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\chubbyrain2.avs")
Import("D:\Avisynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveDirtMC.avs")"
03-19-2019, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

I think you have to pay a little more attention to post #17. The text says that chubbyrain2.avs is attached at the bottom of that post. If you continue reading in the text, you'll see download links and details about every Avisynth filter and command and every VirtualDub plugin mentioned.
03-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

There are two images of VirtualDub dialog windows in post #17. For some reason they show up properly in XP browsers but don't show up at all in Windows 7 or Win 10. I'm re-attaching them here along with the original text from the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
How did I save that Avisynth script and Virtualdub output?
This was a very slow Avisynth filter that processed at a measley 3 to 4 fps, notably slowed by chubbyrain2 and to a lesser extent by the re-interlace statement. Because this would be the last processing step before encoding the video to MPEG or h.264 or web mounting, I saved it in VirtualDub using these steps:
- Click "Video", then click "Color depth...".
- In the "Video Color Depth" dialog, in the right-hand column under "Output format to compressor/display", select the round radio button for "4:2:0 planar YCbCr (YV12)". Why? Because if the next step is to encode to MPEG or h.264, the video will be converted to YV12 anyway. You may as well do it now, because saving as its current state of RGB will make it a much bigger file for no reason.
- Click "OK" to close that dialog window.

- Click "Video" again, then click "Compression...."

- (#1) In the "Select video compression" dialog, click "Lagarith lossless codec." You don't have Lagarith? Better get it, you'll need it. Get their Lagarith Installer (v1.3.27)" for 32 and 64 bit systems. Why? Because huffyuv can't compress YV12. Why not utvideo codec or some other? Go right ahead. Many PC media players can't read other Codecs, so get somethingn else if you want to live with that inconvenience.
- (#2) After you select Lagarith compression, Click "Configure".
- (#3) In the Lagarith setup window, in the "Mode" box , Click "YV12"
- (#4) Click "OK" to close that window.

- Click "OK" again to close the compression dialog.
- In VirtualDub's top menu click "File..."
- Click "Save as Avi..."
- Give the new file a location and name.

In VirtualDub, if you don't specify an output color depth and compressor, then by default the file is saved as uncompressed RGB. This would be several times the size of a losslessly compressed file.

Attached Images
File Type: png Video Color Depth.png (118.3 KB, 92 downloads)
File Type: png Lagarirth Codec setup for YV12.png (106.6 KB, 93 downloads)
03-20-2019, 01:59 PM
Free Member

Thanks Sanlyn - I was going to ask about those images. I am running XP and they didn't show up in my browser in the first post but they do now.

Anyway - thanks for pointing out that I did not read your full message. I now have a folder full of plugins and I attempted to run your script but I am now getting this error message. I searched your posts before posting this so hopefully this can be answered:

Avisynth open failure:
Script error: there is no function named "mt_convolution"
(....\chubbyrain2.avs, line 11)
(....\script.avs, line 14)
03-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

mt.convolution is a function in MaskTools2.dll, which is a plugin included with the QTGMC package. MaskTools is used by dozens of Avisynth filters.

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-20-2019 at 09:45 PM.
03-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Free Member

Hi Sanlyn, thanks for confirming. So here is the strange thing, I now have folders for all the plugins including MaskTools but for some reason the script is unable to locate it. I am running the script from a folder called: F:\Avisynth Plugins\ and the masktools plugin is located in F:\Avisynth Plugins\masktools2. Am I doing something wrong here ?

Also a question on encoding to MPEG or h.264 or web mounting - how is this achieved ? Do the steps you outline in post #24 define this or is there something else I need to know ?

Last edited by willow5; 03-21-2019 at 02:48 PM.
03-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Is "F:/Avisynth" the location where you have Avisynth installed? Or is the Avisynth program installed in another location, such as "C:\Program Files (x86)" ?
03-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Free Member

Avisynth installed here: F:\Program Files\AviSynth (F: is my C: drive - for some reason the letters got swapped round)

I think my update crossed your reply so I am repeating it:

Also a question on encoding to MPEG or h.264 or web mounting - how is this achieved ? Do the steps you outline in post #24 define this or is there something else I need to know ?
03-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

All Avisynth plugins that you download should be copied into F:\Program Files\Avisynth\plugins.

Your other "F:\Avisynth\plugins" area and subfolders are holding areas for all the extra files that get downloaded with most plugin packages and zip files. You don't want all that stuff in your Avisynth program folder, all you want in F:\Program Files\Avisynth\plugins are the dll, avsi, or avs files that you download.

The working files that you get from filtering and other repairs are saved as lossless AVI. These are intgermediaste working files. When you are ready for your final encode of DVD, h.264, or other final format files, you use an encoder. If you want optical disc such as DVD or SD BluRay with menus, etc., and burning to disc, you use an authoring program. Lossy final output encoding is the last step.
03-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Free Member

Thanks Sanlyn, I guess I was taking what you said here very literally:

"Create a new folder somewhere on a hard drive. Call it "Avisynth Plugins" or "Plugins Storage" or whatever. Then, for each new plugin that you download or for any docs or articles that you want to add for it, create a subfolder with that plugin's name on it. Download the plugin or package to that subfolder. "

I shall copy all dll's, avsi and avs files into the plugins folder now. Question: why copy and not move?

Also on the final encode process, please can you elaborate on the encoding process as I need to upload a cpuple of videos to youtube (for family to see) while I am cleaning the videos up (and learning from you).

Finally, it actually makes sense to me what you are saying about weaving the 'a' video into the 'b' cleaned up video...question I have is how do you "measure" the number of pixels that need cleaning?
03-22-2019, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow5 View Post
I shall copy all dll's, avsi and avs files into the plugins folder now. Question: why copy and not move?
I usually copy rather than move, so that I'll have a backup in case something blows up on t5he main drive. Of course, tyhe backup folders in my system are not on the "C" drive with my operating system. They're on a different drive and are also copied occasionally to an external USB drive. Reason for that? Some years back i wasted 4 days searching for all my old filters after Windows developed problems and I had to reinstall. And some of my favorites had disappeared from the internet.

Quote:
Also on the final encode process, please can you elaborate on the encoding process as I need to upload a cpuple of videos to youtube (for family to see) while I am cleaning the videos up (and learning from you).
What you're going to need is an enrtry-level NLE editor that will let you assemble your video segments, apply transitions or title or other effects you might want, then encode for internet posting and for optical disc, which are two different encoding systems. I'd suggest Corel's Video Studio line, which always sells at considerable discounts. My own encoders are several versions of TMPGenc products. There are free encoders around but they have few features, are not user-friendly, and you pretty much have to know what you're doing to make sense of them.

In the meantime: if you want to post to Youtube or similar sites, you have to submit deinterlaced videos that have been resized to square-pixel format. In any case, YouTube will resize to several downloadable formats and will re-encode everything. They usually want mp4 encodes. the best way for you to deinterlace and resize is with Avisynth. Then you need at least an entry-level editor and encoder such as Corel's software, which is the best way for you to learn the finalizing operations because you're learning from scratch.

Quote:
Finally, it actually makes sense to me what you are saying about weaving the 'a' video into the 'b' cleaned up video...question I have is how do you "measure" the number of pixels that need cleaning?
Sometimes it's an estimate. Often you have to run it once, check the results, and adjust the settings. The easiest way to get a "visual" measure on the bad area to be covered is to capture a frame to the clipboard and open the image in Windows Paint, which shows pixel positions in the bottom of the Paint window. Pixels are numbered from left to right (the "x" values) and top to bottom (the "y" values). Pixel numbers start with zero (0).
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-24-2019)
03-23-2019, 05:44 PM
Free Member

Hi Sanlyn,

So after copying all of the plugins to the plugin folder, I am now getting this error which I cannot resolve. Please can you help further ?

Avisynth open failure:
Script error: there is no function named "expand"
(DeHalo_alpha.avsi, line 21)
(....\script.avs, line 28)
03-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Hm. I see where Dehalo_Alpha is being changed yet again ( three times in less than 1.5 years. Gimme a break!). Rather than get involved with a whole bunch of new esoteric plugins involving the new Dehalo_alpha's (some of which don't work in XP, others of which won't work in Win7/10), just download the .dll for the older MaskTools 1.5.8: http://manao4.free.fr/MaskTools-v1.5.8.zip.

Note that the plugin in this .zip file is called MaskTools.dll. At this point with the QTGMC plugins you already have MaskTools2.dll. So note that maskTools.dll and MaskTools2.dll are two different plugins, and you can have both in your plugins folder because their internal functions have different names.

Meanwhile I'll have to convolute my own system to accommodate these vast changes for conflicting versions of DeHalo_Alpha....

On second thought, I just went thru that song and dance about 9 months ago. So I'll leave my plugins as-is for the time being, with MaskTools.dll and MaskTools2.dll in the plugins at the same time. Hasn't been a conflict with that setup for some years now, and I'm not about to change everything in sight just for one plugin like DeHalo_Alpha. Anyway, you would need both MaskTool versions sooner or later because there are other filters that use both.

Sorry, that change slipped on me during the past month or so.

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-23-2019 at 07:15 PM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-24-2019)
03-26-2019, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Thanks Sanlyn, that seems to have done the trick.

Now, how do I view progress while the script is running as I am currently getting an egg timer. I understand from previous posts that this is like 3 frames a second which could take a while to execute on long clips...
03-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

It's a slow script because you need some strong cleanup, and strong cleanup takes time. Something more "normal" (is there such a thing?) would easily run 8 to 16 fps, sometimes up to 25 fps.

Maybe you didn't notice, but when you formally start running scripts by clicking "save as Avi..", a small window pops up with Virtualdub specs and timing totals. That progress window will also have a separate VirtualDub icon in your Windows taskbar.