Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for streaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-09-2021, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

Hello Lordsmurf/Staff and members!
It's been awhile
I finally converted my win7 PC to win10.
I have DVD video that I'm pretty sure were made from VHS to DVD using a Magnavox or Phillips VHS to DVD combo unit about 2002 to 2006 or so?
Would like to extract the video files from them, so I can post them on the inter-web
I think it's the video ts file, but it's been a long while since I have fiddled with all this stuff!

Plus Was wondering if win10 had any any different opportunities than win7 had to accomplish this operation, I also have a new samsung A32 phone which might open some possibilities too, if I can transfer extracted video files to it for conversion to mp4?

Note: I still have winXP PC with ATI card for VHS capture that I put together using the FAQ guidelines back in (about 2010?) It still works great along with Mitsubishi 2000 VHS deck, but haven't captured anything from VHS for about a year or so, using that equipment, I'm almost afraid to see how much RFI interference is captured, which is more and more "in the air" now around me, in my apartment, with all the wi-fi and 5g, plus LED light bulbs and everything surrounding me here, (a subject I have posted about on this site in the past)
But that's another subject, I will post the results of that
Later on after I get brave enough and find time!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-09-2021, 08:15 AM
Free Member

Rip your DVD losslessly to an MPEG 2 file with https://www.dvdvobtompg.com/ (maker of ISOBuster).

It occasionally it has a hiccup and only rips VOB1. If so, just close it and try again. Otherwise, it's great; just "does what it says on the tin", as it were.

You'll then have an MPEG 2 file to play with. You can then encode it to MP4 for the interweb.
07-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

You can use make mkv, get mkv interlaced files without any re-encoding.

Or extract them using DGindex http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163369 then call the .d2v files in an avsisynth script and encode the files depending on the issues they have.
07-10-2021, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

I use either Handbrake - https://handbrake.fr or Wondershare's UniConverter https://videoconverter.wondershare.com to extract video from DVD and Blu-ray.
07-10-2021, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Handbrake is an untamed beast if not used properly, it has a lot of options and therefore it makes a lot of modifications if he uses the wrong options (example: bad de-interlace if wrong de-interlace option is selected). A more transparent tool like MakeMKV is better if he does not plan do re-encode the files.
07-10-2021, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanks folks! I will try the suggestion from Hushpower, the other suggestions are a bit too complicated for me at this point in life, but I do appreciate those suggestions also, never got around to, or had time to understand scripts or line codes,etc,

Can I use VLC to encode mp2 to mp4?
That's the program I am used to using to convert .avi to mp4
07-13-2021, 04:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Handbrake is usually terrible at detection, and makes a mess more than not. (Whatever the opposite is of artificial intelligence, AI, is what Handbrake is. It's pretty stupid.) Sometimes you can't even make Handbrake manually behave. The deinterlacers are also all lackluster to terrible. I sometimes use it, rarely.

The best extraction method is still DVD Decrypter in IFO mode. That gives the raw MPEG files. Then you can do whatever you want. And I usually want to use Hybrid for H.264 encode to MP4/MKV containers.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs