02-12-2022, 09:07 PM
Free Member

Hi all, I'm working on a project to digitize some family home videos stored on VHS and Hi8 tapes and post them to YouTube.

Hardware:
JVC HR-S4800U for VHS tapes
Sony DCR-TRV510 for Hi8 tapes
DataVideo TBC-1000
Panasonic DMR-ES15 for in-line TBC
Pinnacle 510-USB capture card
PC laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit) with 32-bit VirtualDub 1.9.11

Software:
Windows 7 (64-bit)
VirtualDub 1.9.11 (32-bit)
Huffyuv v2.1.1 - Multi-Threading Patch v1.0 for lossless capture
Hybrid 2020.12.13.1

Capture flow for VHS:
JVC > ES15 (in-line TBC) > TBC-1000 > capture card > laptop
Note: I utilized composite for audio and s-video for video

Capture flow for Hi8:
Sony Camcorder > ES15 (in-line TBC) > TBC-1000 > capture card > laptop
Note: I utilized composite for audio and s-video for video

I captured the footage with VirtualDub with Huffyuv MT compression and I've done some trimming of the videos within VirtualDub, saving the work as Huffyuv MT via direct stream copy. I'm ready to deinterlace and export the videos to YouTube.

I've tried deinterlacing with two methods:
1) VirtualDub with "deinterlace" filter (based on Yadif)
2) Hybrid 2020.12.13.1 with QTGMC (Vapoursynth)

My preference is to deinterlace with QTGMC in Hybrid but when I do, the resulting deinterlaced video looks strange (see Not_OK_Hybrid_Deinterlaced.png attachment). Basically the video seems to be inverted and split into 8 horizontal sections. When I use "deinterlace" (based on Yadif) in Virtualdub, the resulting videos don't exhibit this inversion and splitting issue (see OK_VD_Deinterlaced.png attachment).

Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to resolve? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: png OK_VD_Deinterlaced.png (803.0 KB, 30 downloads)
File Type: png Not_OK_Hybrid_Deinterlaced.png (852.9 KB, 37 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-14-2022, 12:11 PM
Free Member

Hi all, I did some more investigating and it appears that the issue was some kind of foul play between Huffyuv MT and Hybrid. I was able to resolve by converting the captured material from Huffyuv MT to UT Video in VirtualDub. I was then able to use Hybrid to deinterlace with QTGMC and export for YouTube with no issues.

Cheers!
The following users thank herlev for this useful post: msgohan (04-13-2022)
04-13-2022, 06:30 PM
Free Member

If I may ask, what settings are you using for deinterlacing? I have been a similar setup however I am running VirtualDub on a 98 machine and then bringing it over to my modern machine to deinterlace in Hybrid which so far I haven't been able to make the Bob deinterlace output good quality. The standard even QTGMC Vapoursynth deinterlace I attempted looks smoother.
I followed the settings I have found on this forum but they were from 2020 and not sure if things changed.

Thanks