01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Free Member

I"ve seen dozens of tutorials on youtube, read some threads and have gotten answers from some very helpful forum members.

I have a few questions.

Are some of the tutorials about rendering in HD or even HQ widescreen talking about video shot on a digital or HD camera that puts out a bigger aspect ratio. Therefore when I use their settings for a template I don't get such great results.

The video I am rendering came from an S-VHS camera and was digitized using a canopus 110 into DV AVI files in sony vegas.

I was advised that I render a loss less AVI file and use another program to convert that to h264 for uploading to youtube

I would prefer not to add the other step and just render directly from Vegas to upload to youtube. I also tried the xvidps4p converter (or something like that) and there were so many settings. And I couldn't follow the tutorial on Youtube for using that.

I thought I read somewhere that vegas 10 can output directly to the 264.....is it X or H codec, but I don't see where.

Can you import it the codec......... or if you are willing to upload a fairly large video file there is no need to compress the file anyway and not use 264 at all.

Also is my video meant to be widescreen, will I lose quality if I am changing the aspect ratio. Would it be better to not have widescreen and have the black borders...I don't mind, but If I can get fullscreen with no loss of quality, I could go for that.
Most tutorials advise creating a template using various rates and frame sizes and aspect ratios, most render to WMV files, on version 10 that would be WMV11.

I have tried some of those settings with varying results. Not much better than some of my earlier Mpg4 rendered in SonyMain Concepts MPG4 which I know could look better.

I would greatly appropriate it if anyone can answer some of these questions and/or give me a link to a tutorial that would suit my needs or a thread that has the best settings in Sony Vegas for getting the best quality from the video source that I am using.

I know I didn't start with high quality video but I just want to maintain as much of the current quality as I can and also in a format that looks good on youtube as that is my main outlet for the video at this time.

Thanks much!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Just to clarify...
Is this Sony Vegas Pro 10 -- the professional program that costs about $500 USD ?
Or Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 Platinum HD -- the consumer program that costs about $100 USD ?

Although somewhat similar, these are not the same.
Need to know what I'll be working with here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the response.

I am using the pro one. The one that costs $599.00
01-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

First of all you must understand that YouTube does a compression job on the videos. Sony Vegas is not any good at rendering anything.

To understand how to get the best quality out of your YouTube videos you have to understand how YouTube compresses the video.

They do actually change this from time to time. The files can be massive pixilated pieces of junk. That was how it was for a while (starting in Oct or Sept of 2010) it has gotten better.

This is all hit or miss and you need to test out different methods and formats to find what works best for your needs. To get the best results it is a little bit more than that. However as stated before they do change the way they compress videos from time to time. Higher end more important accounts seem to get better quality compression.

To give away the secrets of how to master quality on YouTube are tricks that many would want to have.

It is complex and a bit tricky to do......What is the best hint....Hmm......It is always changing......
09-12-2013, 03:44 AM
Free Member

Hi,

There is a free extension for Sony Vegas Pro that does the trick:

Code:
http://vegasaur.com/Video4YouTube
Works in all versions, starting from Vegas Pro 8.
09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Why would I do this? Vegas ALREADY includes encoding to H.264.
If you have Vegas, you're likely a serious hobbyist editor (Vegas isn't really used professionally), and know what settings to use.
Why install a generic template plugin?

I'm guessing that was just a spam post. (And as such, the link was removed.)

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Free Member

LS's decision of course, but maybe not quite fair considering that the OP asked and did not know?

Must be a first for altarvic to be regarded as a spammer after a couple of thousand posts on several video forums. I did see it's his first here.
09-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkmestari View Post
Must be a first for altarvic to be regarded as a spammer after a couple of thousand posts on several video forums. I did see it's his first here.
It may be somebody else using the name. I can always check the email in the mod tools. When a person's first post is a link for buying something, especially sub-$50 Chineseware, while bumping a post from several years ago (almost 3), it's spam 99% of the time. Seasoned forum users would know this.

Notice that he wasn't banned right away.

The OP just needed what to set and where. Not necessarily install something else.

Thanks though. Your concern is noted.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
264, render, vegas 10, video, youtube