Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for streaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Free Member

Since Huffy didn't work for me but I needed better file sizes, I captured uncompressed and saved as Lagarith. Not sure if it is supported by your setup, but it worked on Windows 7 64 bit easily. You also might as well keep interlaced if you are looking to stay lossless, but if you are going to H.264 route then I would use 'Decomb' under Handbrake instead, much quicker and you will keep a lot more temporal and vertical resolution.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-25-2014, 09:07 PM
Free Member

Thanks, but I cannot change the video capturing format. I also wanted to use Wine because I am on a Mac. I also do not know the quality of a decomb output from Handbrake compared with Virtualdub's deinterlacing.
04-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsordawson View Post
Thanks, but I cannot change the video capturing format. I also wanted to use Wine because I am on a Mac. I also do not know the quality of a decomb output from Handbrake compared with Virtualdub's deinterlacing.
You don't need to change how you capture, but if you open your files in virtualdub and save in different lossless codecs without any degradation. I wouldn't use decomb if these are your archive files, but if you want a small copy for an iPad its the way to go.

See https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Decomb
04-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumcapture View Post
You don't need to change how you capture, but if you open your files in virtualdub and save in different lossless codecs without any degradation. I wouldn't use decomb if these are your archive files, but if you want a small copy for an iPad its the way to go.

See https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Decomb
Thank you but my original file is not a problem, I just need to make a deinterlaced version with the least degradation for online.
04-26-2014, 08:03 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsordawson View Post
Thank you but my original file is not a problem, I just need to make a deinterlaced version with the least degradation for online.
Handbrake or Vidcoder with decomb is the best way to go. You will get filesizes that are less than 500mb with very similar quality.
The following users thank premiumcapture for this useful post: Winsordawson (05-09-2014)
05-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
You have to install it via the DOS prompt in Wine. (Right click Wine icon on Mac menu bar.)

Try this:
Code:
 rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\huffyuv.inf
The syntax you tried looks wrong for DOS. It looks like shell (Linux ala Mac X terminal) commands on the "./huffyuv.inf" part.
I spoke to a technician and he said there is no DOS prompt in wine. Do you mean Dosbox? But how would I connect that to wine?
05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Free Member

Open in what?
05-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Open in what?
Loading a filter for virtualdub via wine. However, the filter only has an .inf file which cannot be directly installed. The DOS prompt in wine was suggested though I only have a wine folder, not a icon for it. Unless kpmedia was referring to the program's icon within wine. And when I ask a tech support person he said there is no DOS prompt within wine.

Quote:
Handbrake or Vidcoder with decomb is the best way to go. You will get filesizes that are less than 500mb with very similar quality.
I looked into Handbrake for the deinterlacing as you said, but I don't see an option for audio denoiser. I usually use premiere but the deinterlacing is horrible there.

I put a short video through Decomb, default, with weak Denoise. Can't seem to tell the difference between the progressive and the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktcD...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTS1...ature=youtu.be
07-21-2014, 03:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
I spoke to a technician and he said there is no DOS prompt in wine. Do you mean Dosbox? But how would I connect that to wine?
Then that tech is really, really clueless!

Screen shot 2014-07-21 at 3.43.58 AM.png

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Winsordawson (07-23-2014)
07-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Then that tech is really, really clueless!

Attachment 3979

Thanks for checking in. Isn't that from winebottler?
I could only instal VirtualDub on wine via the terminal--is there a way to get that icon on the menu bar?
07-25-2014, 03:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Yes, WineBottler -- the best way to run Wine in Mac.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
h264, mov, ntsc