04-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Free Member

I need to download a password protected video from Vimeo. I have authorized reviewer access to view but need a copy to play offline until the DVD is released. Has anyone had any success downloading these types of videos?

EDIT: Figured it out - if you are using Chrome, you can right click and select inspect element. It will display the video file, and if you click that link it will only play that and you can right click and save once you are there.
^ No longer works.

Admin edit:

You want one of these:
- Replay Media Catcher
- Replay Video Capture
- Replay Capture Suite (both of the above in one package)

- Sometimes the password-protected video will "capture" (download the actual stream), and sometimes not.
- Sometimes screen recording is needed, actual downloading is 100% impossible due to the encrypted stream. And Applian/Replay is one of the best and oldest -- ie most experienced! -- companies that makes this sort of software. I've tried a lot of other tools, and dropped frames is a major problem. (For the video unsavvy, dropped frames causes audio/video sync problems and jerky motion.)

The capture suite is the best deal, both the capture and record software.

I've had a personal license to some of their tools for at least 6 years now.

Yes, spending money on software sucks, we all want freeware. But this is simply one task where you're not going to find free methods. And you'll find the Replay software will come in very useful over time, as you run into more and more sites where downloading isn't easy or isn't possible. In 2017 alone, I've had download problems probably once per month.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 10-24-2017 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Added 2017 update info to thread. -LS
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Did you try any of those browser plugins first?
- I use Downloadelper in Firefox for non-Youtube videos. http://www.downloadhelper.net/
- For Youtube, I use "Download YouTube Videos as MP4" from https://github.com/gantt/downloadyoutube < No longer works.

One of those works most of the time. I find that anything not possible with it must use screen recording software (Hypercam 3). Hulu, for example, at the moment at least.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-23-2014, 05:18 AM
Free Member

None of those work when the files are password protected because the video is displayed differently, but since there is no DRM, if you can find the link in the source code you can grab the file yourself.

On another note, with the Elgato Game Capture HD, you can actually loop the HDMI back to the same computer, and since all the processing is done externally there is no stuttering. Still better to use the original.
07-23-2014, 06:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Odd that it does not work.

The plugins usually grab the source URL on playback. That's how they work, from what I understand. The "handshake" is missing on the Hulu videos (encrypted), so even knowing the URL does nothing, as fetching it returns nothing.

I've never had a desire to spend time learning streaming protocols. I just encode it.

PS - You appears to keep screwy hours like I do.

07-23-2014, 06:14 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
PS - You appears to keep screwy hours like I do.
I got *tired* of sleeping
05-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Free Member

Hi guys, always have the same problem with private password protected videos as well, try to follow your tipp, but can't figure out how find the video file link whne I go for inspect element ... Please help!
ThxS
10-24-2017, 04:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Dear spammers:

This site is closely monitored, so your junk links will be removed within hours. Don't waste your time or ours.

If, however, you own a site/tool that solves the Vimeo download issue, please contact us for a formal review of said tool/site. We welcome quality tools/sites. (To date, only spammy junk replies have been left, for sites/tools that did NOT solve this specific Vimeo problem.)