12-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Free Member

I am embarking on a VHS capture project of around 45 old VHS tapes, mostly from a camcorder from the 1980s. I am awaiting a VCR that I purchased via this site, as well as an ES-10 that I bought on eBay, but I currently have the USB capture device and I have already started experimenting with it using a VCR that I happen to have at the moment.

I am doing this on a 2017 MacBook Pro, with a 3.1GHz Core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM. I am using a Diamond VC500 that I bought on Amazon for around 40 dollars:
http://www.diamondmm.com/vc500mac-di...e-usb-mac.html

I am trying to come up with a strategy of how to initially capture and how to compress afterwards.

The software that comes with the USB device - Empia - has several options for compression including MPEG4, H.264, and several others.

I am thinking however that it makes sense to use Apple Intermediate Codec or DV initially and then compress to H.264 with a tool like Handbrake afterwards.

I am also wondering if there is ideal "frames per second" and "key frame every..." rate. Do VHS tapes have different frame rates? Or can I assume that everything is 24fps? The default is "Best", but I am wondering if there would be an advantage to explicitly setting it to something.

Finally, once the video is captured and I am going to compress it, I would likely go with H.264, but is there any reason to do MPEG4 instead? (Let's just say that I am probably not going to keep the original DV forever after the video has been captured and compressed.)

Will choosing H.264 put me at a disadvantage if I want to burn it to DVD one day?

And is H.264 even any good with transferred VHS tapes that were captured on a handheld camera? (I understand that some of the H.264 optimization accounts for steady camera motion.)

Thanks for any help/advice!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Busy now, but quick reply...

Mac is terrible at video capture, but if that's what you must use, then DV is your only real option. Mac was a DV-only workflow in SD era (and does nothing in HD era). Windows was always the OS for video work. Realize I'm platform agnostic: Mac for photo, Windows for video, Linux for internet/web. I dislike DV, it has drawbacks -- cooks color, over-compresses chroma. But again, DV is the only real choice with Mac capture. Software choices are also pretty miserable, nothing like VirtualDub is available.

I'm not sure that's a good card for Mac or DV. When working in DV, a specialized DV box is best. I think your current card is software DV, and a hardware DV encoder is vastly superior from a dropped frames and stability stance.

Don't use H.264. It's a delivery/output format/codec. Capture to DV, lossless, or even MPEG. DV and MPEG semi-archival, not huge files. Lossless as intermediaries for editing or restoration, usually not ideal as archive due to huge sizes. Of course, only 45 tapes, just a 2tb drive probably all that's needed.

H.264 handles interlace poorly. Most devices expect progressive, most non-pro/appliance encoders encoder it poorly. H.264 only decent when making viewing copy of archival master, and after proper deinterlace (usually QTGMC, sometimes a Yadif).

DVD is set spec of MPEG-2 only, very specific.
Same for Blu-ray, etc.

Do yourself a favor: keep the DV. You'll kick yourself in a decade or two (or your kids/grandkids/family will). Even H.264 is showing it's age, and I'm seeing the beginnings of it being shelved for H.265/x265.

NTSC videotape is exactly 29.97, the end.
PAL is 25.
Nothing is 24fps. NTSCfilm is 23.976.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs