Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Free Member

Hi all. I have some home videos from the late 90's that were recorded on VHS-C tapes that I want to be able to view on my computer. I've looked into recommended workflows for this and I'm a bit confused about the distinction between hardware and software. I see that higher quality gear will result in a better overall conversion of the tapes. My question is whether or not this is comparable to cleaning up the footage with software.

Basically, what is the difference between using high quality equipment versus budget equipment with software editing? Will budget equipment plus software editing be close to the same quality as using high quality equipment?

Thanks in advance!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokun View Post
Hi all. I have some home videos from the late 90's that were recorded on VHS-C tapes that I want to be able to view on my computer. I've looked into recommended workflows for this and I'm a bit confused about the distinction between hardware and software. I see that higher quality gear will result in a better overall conversion of the tapes. My question is whether or not this is comparable to cleaning up the footage with software.

Basically, what is the difference between using high quality equipment versus budget equipment with software editing? Will budget equipment plus software editing be close to the same quality as using high quality equipment?

Thanks in advance!
The confusion comes from trying to cram all concepts into a single workflow.

1. capture workflow
2. post-capture workflows (editing, restoration/filtering/cleanup, encoding, authoring)

A capture workflow is all hardware -- except for the capturing software/program (usually VirtualDub).

But the post-capture workflows are all software, using the captured video files.

The difference between budget hardware, and higher-end hardware, is mostly just quality. However, remember that all capture workflows MUST contain 3 things:

from http://www.digitalFAQ.com/editorials...g-workflow.htm
Quote:
A basic/minimalist/essential workflow is
1. the tape player or camera
2. something that does timing correction and/or frame sync
3. digital device (computer capture card, DVD recorder, DV capture box/camera)
Quote:
But since analog video signal are chaotic, it’s not as simple as using any VCR, any capture card, or any device claiming to be a “TBC” (or have TBC functionality). Therefore, the suggested minimal workflow is:
1. JVC or Panasonic S-VHS VCR, with internal TBC (to the clean image quality)
2. external TBC (to clean the signal quality); usually DataVideo TBC-1000 or green Cypress AVT-8710
3. internal ATI AIW card, known-good USB capture card, or LSI chipset-based DVD recorder
Budget workflows may use low-end JVC VCRs (sans TBC), ES10/15, and a decent capture card. You'll probably still have issues, and quality won't be archival/best. But it's better than a POS VCR from your garage, a $5 Chinese capture card, and nothing else -- a "workflow" that will not work, and isn't even considered a workflow. Upgrading VCR, add DVK for TBC(ish), will boost the budget workflow in quality and stability.

It's almost impossible to get a workflow, even budget, for under $500, with the best workflows currently in the $1500 range. And pricing in between depending on devices, and conditions therein.

(BTW, those on Youtube that insist some $5/whatever magic doodad from Amazon/eBay/Wish/Aliexpress/etc are in denial, head in sand, no idea what quality looks like, nor concepts like dropped frames and timing errors. Their own samples are trash.)

Does this all make more sense now?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
vhs, vhs-c