04-19-2020, 09:24 PM
Free Member

Recently, I ordered a JVC SR-V101US on eBay for a little over $300. Been doing a lot of reading and it sounds like I could have done better for the money. Not looking to spend much more than $300 on a VCR here, but I want to make sure I do the best I can (within my budget).

Should I turn around and sell this unit then look for something else? Or will any improvements from a similarly priced unit be negligible?

Also, I haven't gotten a capture card yet but the ATI 600 USB seems to be the most recommended here. Any reason not to go with that?

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-19-2020, 09:37 PM
Free Member

Why? What's wrong with the VCR? Have you tried it?
04-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Why? What's wrong with the VCR? Have you tried it?
Hasn't arrived yet, but after finding more and more negativity regarding this unit, I'm wondering if I should look for something different before I get started with the conversion process. Didn't want to let it get away since it was the only one I could find for the price. If I could do a lot better for the same price with a little more patience, then that's what I'll have to do.
04-20-2020, 12:13 AM
Free Member

Well I think it's one of the later models when every manufacturer started using plastic on every part they can, but it doesn't mean it is not going to be adequate for decent playback, It is a S-VHS deck with a line TBC after all so I don't think it is going to be as bad as a low end composite only VHS machine. Try it, post short samples here and the members will have a look and tel you how good or bad it is.

JVC is listing it as a pro VCR:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/f...l_id=MDL101505
04-20-2020, 02:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Buying on eBay is always risky, and some models more than others.

The SR-V101 units are often mediocre at best, with most getting a B- or B+ on my grading scale. Tracking VHS tapes is a tell on a combination of VCR traits and conditions, namely head quality, headwear, and transport tolerances. The 101 is somewhat "loosey-goosey"/imprecise due the plastic content.

Some have earned A- after my tweaking, and I've seen a rare few A+ decks. But in general, probably 80% of those decks were B- or B+, even after tweaks, thus mostly only suited for SP mode VHS tapes.

Just let the VCR arrive, see how it works. I get regular PMs on multiple forums, and we often see posts, detailing how eBay dealings were disappointing or bad, especially for VCRs, but also TBCs. These are all items that can wear badly over time, and often do. It takes knowledge and effort to restore those to optimal condition, if even possible (as some units were so mistreated or misstored that salvage isn't possible, and it becomes a "parts deck" to fix other units). Returns/refunds on eBay are often a hassle, sellers are uncooperative (even those with good/perfect feedback), making it a chore, a time suck, and you're back where you started.

The ATI 600 USB is great card, but the clones work equally well, and there are a few other non-ATI/clone as well. (Note: I currently have some listed in the marketplace.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs