05-15-2020, 03:09 AM
ciallie

First of all, thanks for everyone contributing to this forum. It has been a treasure chest online when finding out how to go about converting old tapes to digital. After some homework, I've come back to do a sanity check before proceeding with conversion of my tapes.

Current Need:
- Conversion of PAL Video8 Tapes (Not Hi8 or Digital8) to Digital without loss of quality

Future Need:
- Conversion of VHS Tapes to Digital without loss of quality

What I have:
- Avermedia PCIe S-Video Capture Card (Probably not the *best* quality)
- S-Video Cable (Gold plated, shielded, decent quality)
- DCR-TRV340E Camcorder (S-Video output)
- PC running Windows 10

My current plan:
1. Connect Camcorder using S-Video cable to Avermedia Capture Card
2. Install VirtualDub on PC to record and follow VirtualDub guide on this forum at (http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html and http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...card-best.html)

Questions:
1. Is this the best approach?
a) My research says that using the Firewire connection to my PC will degrade the quality of the tape as it is not a Digital8 Tape, is this correct?
b) Is VirtualDub the best option? Apparently ScenalyzerLive only supports Digital8 tapes
c) I recognise my Avermedia Capture Card might not be the best quality, I am currently working on finding a better card
2. When I need to convert my VHS tapes to digital in the future, I plan to get a S-VHS player with S-Video out and connecting that up and capturing using VirtualDub as well. Would this work?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors