Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-14-2020, 10:26 AM
Free Member

Hi everyone! This has been a 3 month journey but I now have all the equipment in place and am now in the restore phase but I do have a few questions about my overall workflow and would like some advice if you have the time as I’m sure I am making a few mistakes along the way.

I will mainly be converting VHS home videos from the 80’s that were recorded with a JVC Camcorder. I would like to convert for streaming for easy access for my family but will also be placing a few on DVD/Bluray. In regards to the entire capture/restore/encode/author process, I understand some concepts but others are blowing right past me.

I currently have a JVC S9911U (S-video) → AVT-8710 (S-Video) ---> Pinnacle 700-USB ---> Windows XP Dell Desktop with Virtual Dub using Lagarith YUY2

I then drop the footage onto a Fantom Drive and transfer it over to my Windows 10 Laptop for restoring through Virtual Dub and Avisynth.

I have a few questions regarding all this thus far so I guess I will list them below:

-Do I always capture in YUY2 instead of YV12? I do plan to do some cleanup/deinterlace in Avisynth and from what I understand it only works with YV12, so in the script I will always convert to YV12 before using any avisynth filters, is that correct?

-Do I use fast recompress for this? Will the file size be the same? Is there ever a time I will use Direct Stream Copy or Full Process Mode?

-I’ve read on some threads to crop the bottom part of the video but on others I see it is suggested to mask. What are the latest thoughts on this?

-Once the script is complete (I can post the script later, still working on it and have some questions, just gathering some general thoughts for now) does the avi stay as YV12? Does it ever convert back to YUY2?

-I’m having trouble understanding what to do with the file after, if I want to use a few Virtual Dub filters, do I fast recompress again with the filters loaded and save as avi?

-After this, if I wanted to take this into Adobe Premiere, are there any other steps besides loading it and then doing my edits and then converting to mp4 or whatever file I would like?

-If using Adobe Premiere, can I still edit in here and create a file to drop onto a DVD or should that conversion happen on another program?

-FYI, I am using Lagarith because I was not able to use Huffy in Adobe for some reason but I’m not totally opposed to using Huffy if I can get it to work.

That is what I have for now but I will be working on the script and can post my results for critiques after. Thanks so much for all the info on the site so far, it is a bit overwhelming at first but once you actually start practicing, some things start to fall into place.

Talk to you all again soon!

-X
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Hello, and welcome! Thanks for being a premium member.

YUY2 is how you should capture. Lagarith is fine. it supports same color spaces as Huffyuv (YUY2 for 4:2:2, YV12 for 4:2:0) and is a bit more efficient at compression, so your files will be a bit smaller. Read this and continue to refer back to it. http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html

You should be able to keep the avi file in 4:2:2 (YUY2) the whole way through. You see a lot of Avisynth script examples using ConvertToYV12. That is necessary for things such as temporary use of the Histogram commands so you can analyze your video, of which there are many example threads showing how the histograms can help show you how to redo your capture for proper levels, or fix in post with Avisynth. At least older versions of QTGMC required ConvertToYV12, because it did not support 4:2:2 color space. I have read that this is no longer true if you get a more recent version of QTGMC. Of course, there's a lot of avisynth plugins required to use QTGMC. Or you could try Hybrid if you are not into a lot of script writing. Not sure what version they use there. I think there was a thread recently discussing how you can keep 4:2:2 all the way through, so long as you don't need any Avisynth plugins that cannot handle YUY2 or YV16 (4:2:2).

Direct Stream Copy is used to for things like frame edits only, or remuxing new audio file to existing video. Those are cases where Virtualdub will not apply any Virtualdub filters or Avisynth filters/commands to your video. It does not re-encode any video.

Fast Recompress is used when you are not using Virtualdub filters, not to be confused with Avisynth filters. Avisynth filters/commands are called from the .avs script file. When you do a Save as AVI in this mode, it will save to whatever settings you specify in Video -> Compression. Also setup Video -> Color Depth with Decompression Setting of Autoselect, then Output format to compressor/display to YUY2. I believe that setting tells it how to read the file into Virtualdub. The Compression setting is what settings to use to save the file.

Full Processing Mode is necessary if you are using Virtualdub Filters (Video -> Filters). Virtualdub filters work in RGB color space (i.e. completely uncompressed lossless files which are about 3x bigger than Huffyuv or Lagarith lossless compression). Virtualdub will process anything in your avisynth script first, then it will process the list of Virtualdub filters you have. When you Save As AVI, it uses the settings previously discussed to convert back to your format of choice. You can use both avisynth and virtualdub filters in the same step, so long as you are in Full Processing Mode.

Use Avisynth crop function to trim out noise on the edges, and the addborders command to replace the same number of pixels you lost with the trim function, so that your output has the same 720 x 480 dimensions. Look them up on this forum, or https://avisnyth.nl. There are some restrictions on some values having to be divisible by 2 or 4, so don't use odd numbers when cropping.

I don't have Adobe. If you want to make frame cuts, it can be done in Virtualdub, but can be a bit clunky if you want to merge two files together. But it is ok for deleting ranges of frames. Or you can use the avisynth trim command. For example trim(20,1000) ++ trim(1050,0) if you want to trim out frames 0 to 19 and 1001 to 1049. You can chain as many of these trim commands together as you need. You can also combine sections of multiple files together with avisynth, such as v1.trim(20,1000) ++ v2.trim(1050,0)

Forum often cites software such as Mainconcept, ffmpeg, and Avidemux (certain versions, search forum for more) when converting to MPEG2 or MP4.

Hope that helps answer your questions.
The following users thank keaton for this useful post: juiceycow (03-01-2021)
06-14-2020, 02:43 PM
Free Member

I never had a problem with 4:2:2 (YUY2). What I have problem with is 10 bit captures. I wish QTGMC and FFMPEG will have updates for 10 bit AVI files.