07-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Free Member

We have already talked about that. For the analog capturing with Windows XP the dual core (thread) is optimal. Can it do any harm if i put a quad core processor in my config? I don't mind if the PC would be more powerful. Maybe the plus 2 core would never been used for that type of procedures in the XP era. Most of the application are optimalized for dual core execution. Does quad core CPU have any advantage in this config? Maybe the OS will boot faster or i can use the other two cores for another process without bothering the capturing.

It would be a one-time payment and i can count on it afterwards.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-15-2020, 09:29 PM
Free Member

I'll throw my hat into the ring and say that a quad core will not affect your capture; I am pretty sure I was using a Intel i5 with Windows XP 32bit with no issues. If anything, it'll improve your whole machine.

I'll go out on a limb and say the faster and the bigger (RAM, HDD) the better!
07-16-2020, 03:15 AM
Free Member

Thank you for the reply. I wonder for what purpose do you need an Intel i5 with Windows XP. What kind of process

I have the same idea to get the maximum power for my capturing computer without overclocking or do any harm.
07-16-2020, 03:52 AM
Free Member

I got it to speed up rendering times; unless your graphics card is used in the rendering process, it's the CPU that does all the hard work when rendering and faster is obviously better. Looking back at some emails, I used my i5-720 with WinXP 32bit for around 5 years, until XP "died" and I moved to Windows 7.

My recent captures (same i5 and Win 10 64bit) have not dropped one frame capturing into Lagarith. I'm using an ES-15 in the workflow (make the more stable?), and there is not even a hint that the computer can't cope. I do have 12gb of RAM though, which probably helps with capturing. The CPU use is low, and I can do other things at the same time.
07-16-2020, 04:12 AM
Free Member

I think rendering and capturing are quite different processes. Rendering needs more resources. I remember when i cut home videos with Sony Vegas and needed my best PC to render with. Now i understand why you need that powerful PC. I have to continue my searching after Intel QX6800 from reliable sources. On eBay i only found CPUs from China.
07-19-2020, 06:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
For capturing, the per-core speed matters most.
Higher clock speed on dual core = better than quad with lower speed.

I also am not a fan of heat. Pay attention to TDP ratings. More is usually hotter, not good, you end up paying to both power computer AND cool home in hotter months.

CPUs from China are too often fake or reject. Same for RAM, flash memory, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-22-2020, 04:49 PM
Free Member

Hey lordsmurf, welcome.

TDP's unit is set to Watt. I assume it is energy consumption. The more energy the CPU consume it will be hotter? I try to find the best per-core speed CPU with the lowest TDP, not ordered from China.
07-22-2020, 05:12 PM
Free Member

I made a quick search and the CPUs with the highest frequency are:

E7500 (65W) - 2 Cores
X6800 (75W) - 2 Cores
QX6800 (130W) - 4 Cores

with the same 2.93 Ghz.

But i definitely remember that in the supported CPU list there was a E7600 CPU. It has only two cores but the TDP is 65W and it has the highest 3.07 Ghz with the same 1066 FSB. The best thing that i bought one before and i have it on my shelf. So i think it will be the best choice.