Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Free Member

Gentlemans,
I am back. I was away for a long time because I had to focus on my investment. Now I have every device that I possible need I suppose:

From top to bottom: (in order of the size, not the capability)
  1. Canopus ADVC-300 [Line TBC]
  2. DataVideo TBC-1000 [Frame TBC] (with utmost respect to lordsmurf )
  3. DataVideo DVK-100 ["TBC-ish" with DMR-ES10]
  4. Panasonic DMR-ES10 ["TBC-ish" with DVK-100]
  5. Panasonic DMR-EH65
  6. JVC HR-DVS2 (SR-VS20) [Line TBC]

Next to the tower the dedicated PC's parts are:
  1. Motherboard- Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 Rev2.0
  2. CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E7600
  3. RAM - 2 x 2GB Kingston 800 Mhz DDRII
  4. Video Card: Ati All-in-Wonder 9000
  5. Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
  6. HDD #1 - IDE 500 GB Seagate
  7. HDD #2 - SATAIII 2 TB Seagate BarraCuda
  8. Operating System: Windows XP SP2

I get these devices and parts by the informations that you give to me guys and I am very grateful for it.

Please help me to specify workflows. Which devices should I plug together in what order. If somebody is curious which workflow is better and why, just ask and I will do my job. I am also looking for the best workflow to work with and digitize my VHS tapes.

All devices have S-Video input and output. Besides the DataVideo DVK-100, all of them have RCA Video, Left and Right audio. I can get better quaility with S-Video instead RCA Video?

Does the brand, material quality or the diameter matters at the cables?

If the device has some configuration interface what parameters should I set? The capturing software also has a lot of parameter to set. I read about the Huffyuv codec but I still don't know about it much.

How can I evaluate the result? After I finish the footage capturing how can I exactly calculate the quality of it? Count the number in the capturing software, like the dropped frames; the lower the better? Or I should post all the capturing here in the forum and you will judge it?

Thank you all of your help. Now only one step further and I can product some results after a long time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201012_191121.jpg (74.6 KB, 61 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-12-2020, 03:25 PM
Free Member

What do you need the Canopus ADVC300 and DataVideo DVK-100 for? You have line TBC in the VCR and only add a frame TBC in the chain if you have problems such audio sync or frame instability, which TBC 1000 will suffice. Too many components in the workflow is not always good, too many A/D D/A conversions which lead to luma/chroma signal levels change.
10-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
What do you need the Canopus ADVC300 and DataVideo DVK-100 for? You have line TBC in the VCR and only add a frame TBC in the chain if you have problems such audio sync or frame instability, which TBC 1000 will suffice. Too many components in the workflow is not always good, too many A/D D/A conversions which lead to luma/chroma signal levels change.
ADVC300 was a mistake. I don't want to make one workflow with all the devices connected together. Maybe some alternative workflows. There is a rumor here in the forum that DVK-100 and ES-10 is almost as good as the workflow with TBC-1000. I just wanted to compare them, not connect to eachother.
10-12-2020, 03:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
The DVK can also act as proc amp, or as a backup TBC(ish) with ES10/15, or for a 2nd workflow with another VCR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
A There is a rumor here in the forum that DVK-100 and ES-10 is almost as good as the workflow with TBC-1000. I just wanted to compare them, not connect to eachother.
Not rumor, confirmed! But that TBC(ish) setup has ES10/15 drawbacks, quality hits. In PAL, it presents as luma changes, in addition to possible posterization and aggressive NR (even when off) like NTSC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-12-2020, 04:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Not rumor, confirmed! But that TBC(ish) setup has ES10/15 drawbacks, quality hits. In PAL, it presents as luma changes, in addition to possible posterization and aggressive NR (even when off) like NTSC.
Oh, sorry. "Discussion" should be the correct term. I meant that this fact appears time to time in the topics. I am sure that somebody already confirmed that, i just want to see it with my own eyes if i am able to notice the differences.
10-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Free Member

I shouldn't be so scared from capturing? I often overthinking everything, just don't want to make any harm to the devices. Maybe just start digitizing and come back if i have question or some result.

I installed the audio card with a zip that i found here, but the video card was recognized by the OS. Should i reinstall the driver from a different source, from here maybe. VirtualDub is good for beginning or Avisynth, perhaps something else?
10-12-2020, 05:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
just don't want to make any harm to the devices.
In the photo -- and emailed video (I've not had time to reply yet) -- the biggest mistake I see is environmental.

- dust
- carpet, floor

Never let that much dust settle on the gear, because it could get in the gear.

Never place the gear directly on the floor, especially not carpeted floor. Dust puffs up from a floor, gets on everything. This gear needs to be on a clean dust-free desk or shelf.

If your environment is just dusty, invest in rags, vacuum cleaners, and "canned air" (air duster). My area can be dusty, and I'm forever wiping everything down, keeping it clean. Always vacuuming, then cleaning the cleaner. I don't blow out the VCR insides often (as it can also be a bad thing), but I do blow out the computers regularly.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs