12-01-2020, 01:49 PM
Free Member

Hello,

So I am creating this thread because at the library I currently go to school has many VCR's, one being a JVC SVHS-ET HR-S4600U VCR (see attachment "JVC HR-S4600U"). Now I have obtained a VCR before in the same school for free so, assuming it is working, I could get it for free. Now I was wondering what this VCR is good for as I am not totally knowledgeable with SVHS devices. However, if im not mistsken you could record on vhs tapes with that VCR because of its( -ET ) extention in its name? Or does it just allow regular VHS tapes to only be viewed?

Thank you,
Glitchy Windows

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVC HR-S4600U.jpg (54.2 KB, 13 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Free Member

SVHS-ET was a function that let you record in SVHS (with slightly reduced quality compared to normal SVHS) format on a standard VHS tape. It is a SVHS VCR so it can record and play back both SVHS and standard VHS recordings as well. It lacks the TBC/DNR function the top of the line models had, but it should be a decent VCR otherwise.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-29-2020)
12-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
SVHS-ET was a function that let you record in SVHS (with slightly reduced quality compared to normal SVHS) format on a standard VHS tape. It is a SVHS VCR so it can record and play back both SVHS and standard VHS recordings as well.
Ah thank you for clarifying on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
It lacks the TBC/DNR function the top of the line models had, but it should be a decent VCR otherwise.
Yes I am aware VCRs like this dont have a time base corrector which is something I would lile to buy in the future
12-02-2020, 02:31 PM
Free Member

If you can get that HR-S4600U for free or cheap, and you are sure it works, then just get it.

The front panel looks identical to my HR-S3600U, except mine doesn't have an extra S-Video input. I use mine for playing/digitizing VHS tapes, and I am happy with it, though it is not a high-end model. I'd say for VHS playback, it's about 10% better than my consumer-model Sony deck. The S-Video output is barely any better than the composite, but there is a slight improvement in detail.

See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post52570 to understand what the main settings are in your JVC deck. My relevant settings:
  • Video Calibration = OFF (dynamic tracking, rarely helps, can cause frame jitter)
  • Picture Control = EDIT (disables sharpness filter, maybe more) (AUTO or SOFT might be better for some tapes)
  • Video Stabilization = OFF (unless confirmed to reduce frame jitter on a specific SLP/EP tape)
You will still probably want something to fix horizontal stabilization problems. A popular TBC substitute is a Panasonic DMR-ES10, which is a DVD recorder, but you just use it as a filter. I am happy with mine, which I found for cheap on eBay. My relevant settings:
  • Black Level Control (in Settings): input = Light, output = Dark (the defaults are swapped and result in much lighter output than input)
  • Line-in NR (Display > Video menu) has very little effect but I prefer to leave Off for best detail & to avoid frame jitter (I might change my mind on this next time I run across a visually noisy tape though)
The following users thank mjb2019 for this useful post: lordsmurf (12-29-2020)
12-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,442 Times in 2,075 Posts
4600 = 3600 + flying erase head

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs