Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I am writing this thread because I am in need of a s-video to hdmi upscaler as I do not have any monitors that have am s video input (new or old). With thag being said I thought of resorting for an upscaler that has an s video input, however, im assuming that upscalers are more or less the same when it comes to the quailty of upscaling. With the use of nearest-neighbor interpolation, bilinear and bicubic algorithms. So that begs the question if their is a "good" s video to hdmi upscaler on ebay or amazon and was wondering if anyones knows of a good upscaler.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Free Member

Yes quality of the upscaling matters just like capturing, Whatever you do don't buy a Chinese one, There are good ones made by Gefen few years ago and can be had for as low as $50 on ebay.

https://www.gefen.com/product/compos...MPSVID-2-HDMIS
12-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Free Member

I have found another upscaler called the Orei XD-901
However, I do not know how well the scaler works becausd the one you list seems too expensive. It says the scaler works well despite it being used but I wanted to know if you had any thoughts of it.

Here is the link of the ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orei-Compos...8AAOSwf-dfHiOF
12-09-2020, 11:14 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Hardware upscale is getting to a point where it's inferior to software.

The main concerns with upscale are
- deinterlace (s-video, so assuming consumer analog here),
- sharpening,
- non-cubic/linear resize/upsize (fractal, etc).

On more aggressive and complex upscales, there can be "jiggle" issues -- dancing pixels, data not sure where to site itself. This is usually resolved by doing 2x-4x more than the final (4K upscale, 1080p downsize) -- but that has downsize issues to consider, such as linear jaggies, blurring due to pixel site loss.

There's no perfect way to up/downsize.

Most hardware upscalers are cheap dumb boxes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchy Windows 3.1 View Post
I have found another upscaler called the Orei XD-901
However, I do not know how well the scaler works becausd the one you list seems too expensive. It says the scaler works well despite it being used but I wanted to know if you had any thoughts of it.

Here is the link of the ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orei-Compos...8AAOSwf-dfHiOF
That's a no name Chinese crap. It is actually expensive because they put a fake brand on it hoping to fool someone, Generic adapters with the same chip are around $15-$20.
12-11-2020, 12:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Yes quality of the upscaling matters just like capturing, Whatever you do don't buy a Chinese one, There are good ones made by Gefen few years ago and can be had for as low as $50 on ebay.
So im assuning the scalers Gefen has made were from a while back as they are listed at $190-$300 on ebay and other websites. And they were in the $25-$70 range four years ago from a video I saw. With that being said, they are very expensive and are they still worth buying for $200+?

The video that showed gefen scaler listings at the 2:10 mark

https://youtu.be/_f8k1T8ypmM
12-12-2020, 01:40 AM
Free Member

Yes, prices of pro gear use to be cheap 5 to 10 years ago, But when people start to discover them due to high prices of new gear and the shitty quality they provide the demand sky rocked so the prices went up, I myself bought one for one specific reason that my HD monitor that I use to repair VCR's won't display NTSC in 4:3 from its S-Video input no matter what setting I use, PAL is fine. So had to get a S-Video to HDMI upscaler and use the HDMI input of the monitor instead of S-Video input and the choice was back then the Gefen for a whopping $45 almost brand new in the box.