digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   JVC HR-S7600U ejects tape after 15 seconds? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/11301-jvc-s7600u-ejects.html)

originalsboy11 12-25-2020 03:22 PM

JVC HR-S7600U ejects tape after 15 seconds?

After biting a bullet and buying a "working" JVC HR-S7600U off eBay (yes, not a good idea, I understand) , I have gotten it to notice that it will accept a tape and after 10 seconds of playing it (with a clear picture on the screen), it would eject the tape. The same thing for fast forward as well. However, when I try to rewind it, it would simply power off and when I power it back on, it doesn't do anything until I hit a command (play, rewind, etc.).
Here's a video of it attempting to play a tape with the hood off.

It appears when I play something I hear a soft "tick tick" noise so I don't know if that could be something part of the problem.

My question is, is this something salvageable or is it toast?

latreche34 12-25-2020 04:20 PM

The dynamic drum problem usually kicks in within 3 to 4 seconds, This is 15 seconds ...hmmm! Was both the drum motor and capstan motors spinning? To be honest this is not something that can be diagnosed over a forum, If I have the deck I would be looking at overheating components, Loose or obstructed feedback sensors, checking voltages at the power unit ...etc.

originalsboy11 12-25-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 73610)
The dynamic drum problem usually kicks in within 3 to 4 seconds, This is 15 seconds ...hmmm! Was both the drum motor and capstan motors spinning? To be honest this is not something that can be diagnosed over a forum, If I have the deck I would be looking at overheating components, Loose or obstructed feedback sensors, checking voltages at the power unit ...etc.

It appeared that the drum motor and capstan motor was moving. However, I've never heard or a feedback sensor. May I ask what would that look like?

latreche34 12-25-2020 06:49 PM

Sensors that detect tape presence, spindles movement ..etc. If you are not familiar with this stuff just return the VCR or take it to someone who can fix it, it won't be cheap though.

lordsmurf 12-25-2020 11:38 PM

In a word: Nope.

Let me guess ... "tested' and "working". :rolleyes:

In this condition, if more than $50, return it.
In this condition, at any price, if unwilling to tinker, return it. (And honestly, you want to convert videos, right? Not try to make a VCR function correctly. That's an extra project you didn't want.)

A typical bad eBay buy. Most eBay VCRs are this way. Problems. The seller often blames UPS/Fedex/USPS, but that's rarely the actual cause. Their garbage (literally) is what they're trying to foist onto you.

Sometimes the eBay seller name helps. There are known VCR scammers on eBay! :old:

There's a reason that my JVC decks cost what they do (in marketplace subforum here), and why eBay decks cost what they do. Mine actually work correctly! Cleaned, maintained, refurb'd as needed. Or you can keep playing the eBay VCR lottery, but odds are not in your favor (15:85). So on average, that means 85% of all decks are trash (some properly listed as "for parts", some BS'd as "working" or "tested"), final 15% are range from needing work to actually functioning. I'm not exaggerating here, I wish I were. TBCs are 50/50, with capture cards often missing essential parts. Never, ever, buy a Panasonic deck from eBay, odds on those is more like 1:99.

eBay was never really a marketplace for video gear.

latreche34 12-26-2020 02:19 AM

Indeed, ebay lately became the graveyard of VCR's.