01-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Free Member

Hello all
I am tasked with backing up the VHS and Video8 recordings for my family
I live in North America so its NTSC

I currently have a GE VG4253 but its not on your approved list so i guess im getting new/used gear

I am planning on the following workflow

JVC HR-S4500U Super VHS VCR S-VHS Stereo SVHS S-Video With MANUAL and REMOTE
https://www.ebay.com/c/1224609284

ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB Hybrid (Digital or Analog TV) Tuner
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Unused-...sAAOSwdHlfvfU0

I wanted to get a TBC but just cant justify it seems like its at least $500 or more

Question #1
i was reading that a Panasonic DMR-ES10 or Panasonic DMR-ES15 acted like a poor mans TBC and only helps with the video portion is this accurate?

Question #2
Is there a difference between the 10 or the 15?

Question #3
I am asssuming you just connect the
Output of the VCR to the input of the DMR-ES10/ES15
Output of the DMR-ES10/ES15 to the input of the capture capture card

QUESTION #4
Im guessing the answer is a NO but....

What are your thoughts of passing through a USB capture card to a Virtual Machine to capture the video

I am running
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800 X
RAM: 16 Gigs of RAM

I could easily spin up a Virtual Machine with windows 7 and pass through ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB Hybrid and install the drivers and VirtualDub

Thanks in Advance
Eddie
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-03-2021, 01:07 PM
Free Member

If you are willing to pay $200 for a VCR get one with line TBC, Basic S-VHS VCR is still better than a VHS VCR but I wouldn't pay that much for it especially if it has the dynamic drum system, that's a timing bomb waiting to explode if it hasn't been already exploded.
01-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
All GE decks are terrible, yes, replace it.

JVC 4500 ... eh.
Non-TBC decks are often fine when paired with ES10/15, but the 4500 is old, from around 1995. And for $200, from a non-video seller, it's a bit rich. The "only used in a church" isn't an "only" whatsoever. That means the deck was heavily used, and by non-video folks (church members). eBay is a gamble with VCR. You're not buying, you're gambling. I don't think this is a good buy at all.

Remotes for JVCs are simple to find for under $20, sometimes under $10.
User manuals are worthless, it doesn't tell you best settings for capture anyway.

It's just a few years later model, but features and construction differ for the better. I'd feel much better with a 4600 or 4800.

That ATI 600 USB should be fine, good deal on it. My cards are wee bit more in the marketplace, but I also test all my gear. I've found bad ATI 600 cards before, including "new in box" cards. The box doesn't matter when it was stored in an outdoor storage shed for 10+ years, and heat melted all the board leads (and/or cold cracked them).

The ES10/15 is not a TBC, not really all that close. What it does have is a crippled line TBC that works on passthrough (unique feature to these models, other DVD recorders do not have it), along with a basic frame sync found in all recorders. Frame TBC aka framesync TBC is NOT a basic frame sync. It is a very minimalist TBC(ish), ideally fortified with the DVK units which have weak frame TBC. The ES10/15 will have a fail rate, some/many tapes will still have issues or drops, but you can try it. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. ES10/15 has side effect, often image quality hits/reduction, but it is a good budget solution.

The ideal solution is an actual TBC. In terms of costs: buy it, use it, resell it. It holds value. This is a project purchase, not a forever purchase.

Correct: VCR > ES10/15 > capture card
Ideally: VCR > ES10/15 > DVK > capture card, for good budget workflows

For budget options, you can also use composite TBCs, not s-video. I have one in the marketplace forum right now. But for it to work best, you'd want a with-TBC VCR. Or non-TBC VCR > ES10/15 > composite TBC. But at that point, DVK better option.

I like Linux myself -- prefer it, actually. But for video capture, it's a terrible OS. No good software, almost no software at all. Save yourself headaches, boot in Windows. OS are tools, use the best tool for task.

Capturing does not work in VMs. Native hardware access needed, no virtualization allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
If you are willing to pay $200 for a VCR get one with line TBC, Basic S-VHS VCR is still better than a VHS VCR but I wouldn't pay that much for it especially if it has the dynamic drum system, that's a timing bomb waiting to explode if it hasn't been already exploded.
You're not going to find a deck with TBC for $200 unless it's "for parts". Don't falsely get his hopes up.

Even if the person swears that a TBC deck is "tested" and "working", it's BS, unless the person has vetted video knowledge on VCRs should operate. This is 2020, not 2000, these late 1990s decks are often in a bad state unless properly serviced by somebody like me or Deter, or some of you (members here at this forum) that have learned how to repair and clean these decks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-03-2021, 06:48 PM
Free Member

Thank you
@latreche34 and @lordsmurf

@lordsmurf
so you are saying

At minimum it should be
VCR > ES10/15 > DVK > capture card

but with the risk of buying 4 things from ebay and hoping they all work perfectly the chances are low

i cant say i disagree with that

So another option is that you are possibly selling an entire workflow minus the computer and it is coming from a reputable person that has taken care of the equipment which again makes sense

A workflow i am assuming is a

VCR with TBC
a standalone TBC
Capture Card

What would something like that cost?

Have you ever considered a renters fee like charge the full amount and then return 75% upon receiving the product if its in the same condition on how you sent it out?

Thanks in Advance
01-03-2021, 08:51 PM
Free Member

I'm not keeping anyone's hopes up, I just stated that $200 is too much for a VCR that doesn't have TBC. Maybe I should have said pay a little more and get a TBC one but I though it was clear.
01-07-2021, 06:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes, minimum VCR > ES10 > DVK > capture card

Yes, eBay is a risk. With video gear, it's gambling, not buying. VCRs and TBCs especially, ES10 and capture card moderate. Read this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post74039

Yes, I do sell workflows in the marketplace, at times. See those listings/threads, feel free to PM me.

Rental is not an option. However, I have bought back my own gear before -- which is a rental of sorts. Other times, I've connected the person with a new buyer. Because my continued advice is to buy it, use it, resell it, as the gear holds value. It really is a good feeling to know that my refurbished gear is helping others to convert their projects. And always take your time, do a good job, don't rush. Renting has an aura of rushing, while ownership does not.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs