digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Is JVC SR-V10U better than basic VCR if using Elgato? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/11559-jvc-v10u-better.html)

yakima 02-26-2021 07:43 PM

Is JVC SR-V10U better than basic VCR if using Elgato?

I am a grandma with lots of family VHS tapes from 70's, 80's, 90's. Having them professionally digitized is not an option due to quantity and cost. I switched computers at retirement to a MacBook Pro. I got my old VCR out of storage to find it won't work. I purchased an elgato video capture, before reading info from you professionals.

I do not expect to produce a product like most of you would aim for, since I don't understand most of what the posts are talking about. I also don't want to waste money and time and have unwatchable memories.

My main question now is, if I am going to only use a low level product as Elgato, does it make any difference what VCR I use? I see many used ones out there, but again, have no idea what all the jargon means. On the guide list on your site, a JVC SR-V10U, is listed and I'm wondering if I should bid on one currently on ebay. If so, at what price? Or, if I am only using the elgato, will using a lower level VCR produce the same end result.

Sorry, if this is not the right site for a grandma out of the know. Thank you.

lordsmurf 02-26-2021 08:08 PM

Nothing will fix the awful quality from an Elgato aside from not using the Elgato.

A better JVC S-VHS (with TBC) VCR will help with quality over a standard lousy VCR, but it's a separate concept from the capture card. Both need to be good, it's not either/or.

Some posts go into detail on restoration, but that's not capture.

Capture is a simple recipe: VCR > TBC > capture card
Not any, but good models known to work.
Mac is not a great OS, wrong tool for the task, but workable if you must. Windows capture options better.

Elgato will often give you unwatchable videos. That's not what you want. Highlights blown out, just bad video. The included junk software makes it even worse, throws away data while compressing horribly. Wrong products. They made these dumb things for video games, not quality analog capture.

So get a better card, better VCR, and probably the ES10/15. That may suffice. Good quality, preserve those memories.

Another good option is a non-TBC JVC with ES10/15, better capture card, if you're on a budget. Because ES10/15 is not a true TBC, but a DVD recorder with line TBC and non-TBC frame sync, some tapes may fail. But you can worry about those later.

What you don't want to do is starting buying random stuff, hoping it will work, later learning you made some wrong choices and have bad quality after capture.

latreche34 02-26-2021 09:57 PM

What you could try is a combo VHS-DVD recorder and copy directly from tape to DVD, not something I usually recommend but for your situation as you stated you are not familiar with tech stuff this is as plug and play as it gets, The quality will be up to the standards but at least you don't have to deal with computer, OS, drivers, capture devices ...etc. Just pop in a blank DVD disc and push the dub button.

lordsmurf 02-26-2021 10:32 PM

I would not suggest that at all.

The combo VCRs are usually the worst VCRs ever made. Ditto for the DVD recorders. And no TBC whatsoever. That will look worse than even what the Elgato is doing. And it earned the nickname "Elcrapo".

Probably half of all people coming to this site are redoing projects, because they made the mistake of creating lousy DVDs years ago. Those will look worse and worse with age.

latreche34 02-26-2021 11:21 PM

Sorry it's a typo, I meant "the quality will not be up to the standards"

yakima 02-27-2021 01:03 PM

Thank you both for your input and knowledge. I will give this project more serious thought and probably be asking further advise. Thank you again.

yakima 02-28-2021 03:52 PM

Capture is a simple recipe: VCR > TBC > capture card

If I am able to get the JVC SR-V10U SVHS on e bay is that a good choice? What should I expect to pay?

Then can you guide me in specifics to look for TBC and capture card?

yakima 02-28-2021 04:01 PM

I should have first asked, any budget workflows for sale?

latreche34 02-28-2021 04:26 PM

It's not about just buying a VCR, It will need a basic cleaning and lubrication as those are 20 years old or over assuming you will be lucky that is not defective, Unless you know someone who can do this for you don't just go and buy any VCR even if it says fully serviced, That just means it has been wiped out from the outside with a paper towel. Buying a guaranteed fully serviced VCR from one of the members here or a reputable online merchant is in the range of $500-$1000. An external TBC is around $1000 and a good capture card is about $100-$150.

I believe Lordsmurf sells complete PC capture workflow includes everything you need.