09-13-2021, 06:05 AM
Free Member

Hello everybody. I am setting up my workflow.

I want to do it like this

Panasonic NV-HS1000 -S-vhs-TBC-S-vhs-ati all in one

but....
I can't find a TBC in my budget.
I just want to digitize a few 10 or 15 tapes

I have already bought the vhs panasonic NV-HS1000 and I have an old dvd panasonic dmr ex77 and dmr es-10 "valid" as tbc

I prefer to try to find a good external TBC to follow the original flow

I have only found these cheap equipment, which I think may have tbc, but I do not know if they will give noise problems to the signal and works well

sony rme-700
sony xv-c700
sony digital seg xv-d1000 (i read dual frame synchronyzer)
Panasonic AG-MX70
Panasonic wj ave55

Do you recommend any of these? or i use panasonic dvd

Panasonic NV-HS1000 -S-vhs-Panasonic DMR ex77-S-vhs-ati all in one (I'm not sure if the tbc of the dvd works for the s-vhs output)

Panasonic NV-HS1000 -S-vhs-Panasonic DMR ES-10-S-vhs-ati all in one (with this, as I have read, it has some disadvantage.
and they lose two lines)

Panasonic NV-HS1000 -S-vhs-Panasonic DMR ex77-HDMI-Black magic. (this configuration is not recommended, but maybe is best than the others I say )

about the ati all in one

i can buy a ATI 64MB ALL-IN-WONDER 9000 or
ati all-in x800 is a good option??

dont have the av adapter

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by davidluab; 09-13-2021 at 06:47 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-13-2021, 08:43 AM
Free Member

The Panasonic mixers do, and presumably the sony mixer two. No idea about the color corrector and the editing/titler. I have the AV55, haven't tested it much on trouble tapes though as mine has some issue with it causing some noise and interference. The mx70 is a bit newer, tho also larger and heavier so depends how much you want to gamble on them working well.

Have you experienced any issues with just using the dvd-recorders?
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: davidluab (09-14-2021)
09-13-2021, 01:48 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
The Panasonic mixers do, and presumably the sony mixer two. No idea about the color corrector and the editing/titler. I have the AV55, haven't tested it much on trouble tapes though as mine has some issue with it causing some noise and interference. The mx70 is a bit newer, tho also larger and heavier so depends how much you want to gamble on them working well.

Have you experienced any issues with just using the dvd-recorders?
I have not yet bought the capture card, to test it together.

But with Panasonic vhs with Panasonic dvd's on tv works well

maybe i need to keep it simple and use panasonic dvd like tbc

How would it be better to capture the DMR-Es10 and ati all in one (i read lose two lines) or DMR-EX77 and black magic hdmi??

imagine the DMR-ES10. but the cut that makes lines makes me angry

Thanks!
09-13-2021, 03:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
s-video (wire), not S-VHS (tape)

HS1000 is good deck, has field/line TBC.

Frame TBC is missing piece.

The ES10/15 work for a minimalist TBC(ish), with a fail rate, added artifacts/noises. I'd not turn off that HS1000 line TBC, thereby making ES10/15 unwise here.

That leaves weak frame TBCs. Still a fail rate, but those EOL Panasonic VCR TBCs are decently strong. The DataVideo DVK is an option in this exact scenario. Mixers can work, maybe, sometimes. Mixers are generally very weak, sometimes so weak as to do near-nothing. Much like ES10/15, can add noises/artifacts, as transparency wasn't the goal with those.

Do not use a Blackmagic card for VHS. Dropped frames, even with TBCs. The card is junk for SD capturing, poor afterthought feature. There are better cards, and for less costs.

Normally I'd suggest to buy/use/resell an actual TBC. One on hand, it's just for 10-15 tapes. But on the other hand, 10-15 shouldn't take long, so it'd be a very temporary investment.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: davidluab (09-14-2021)
09-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Free Member

If you mean the black pixels on the left and right, most TBCs do that too, including the internal TBC in the panasonic and the commonly used datavideo and cypress ones. Some of them make the borders a bit softer though. There is usually not a lot of image there anyhow so it's not a big issue normally. (More annoying is the fact that the borders from some devices like the ES10 or the Datavideo TBC3000 can be very sharp and thus cause some very slight ringing around them.)

The EX77 will not have borders as far as I know if you use the HDMI out (but will on analog outputs, At least on the related EH57 I got.) You would need a HDMI splitter that strips HDCP though, also it won't work well if the tape has copy-protection, and you get blown out whites unless you manually attenuate the video input signal (with a passive audio volume control or something else). I don't know if/which TBC units gives the full 720 pixel output, maybe someone else here that has other devices would know.

A blackmagic is fine for capturing HDMI (Or other digital input), it's the analog inputs that are dodgy. Whether it's preferable to other cards that can do HDMI lossless I don't know though, allthough it's less clunky than the avermedia one I got at least.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: davidluab (09-14-2021)
09-14-2021, 09:50 AM
Free Member

Before buying a new capture card.

I think I will run several tests on the hardware I have now and on my old Avermedia USB to see what results I get. and decide

My family tapes give a good quality and the effect of the tbc is not appreciated much

Do you suggest a way to test for TB that is very noticeable? to compare hardware

I will count my impressions before continuing with the purchase of the capture card

Thank you