Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-13-2021, 05:00 AM
Free Member

Hi Guys,

my family and friends are asking me what we can do to re-watch old tapes(PAL and NTSC) so I decided to help them and take care of the digitization process. but after watching some videos on YT and reading the forum I'm confused, so I have questions for you for help and suggestions

1) VCR - i have option to buy hr-s9200 or hr-s9500, they are good? or should I wait and look something better?

2) what to insert between the VCR and capture card ? I can't afford real tbc.
whether the Panasonic ES-20(40-50$) will be decent? or maybe DMR-EZ48V(150$) ? or Sony HXD 870 ?
or maybe ADVC 110 will be enough?

on YT I saw that advc 110 with blackmagic Intensity Shuttle is recommended or using the upscaler with hdmi capture card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLUxRkPMdA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7PoNzrECG4

but on the forum I read that ADVC 110 is crap and is not a TBC

3) capture card - I have the opportunity to buy :
Hauppauge WinTv HVR-1700 PCIe, its good ? (30$)
Hauppauge ImpactVCBe ? (70$)
Hauppauge USB-Live2 ?(15$)
or look for something better like Avermedia CE310B (but it is not available in Europe)?
or should I dig in basement for old PC with AGP and buy some ATI AIW?

4)Scaler - whether it is appropriate to use the mini AV2HDMI upscaler ? like here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC5Z...ist=WL&index=6 - the dude is convincing

I also saw someone using extrona dvs 204
or maybe it will be enough to use software and upscaling?
or TV will do it for me

thank you in advance for your help

Last edited by sn1p3r; 12-13-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-13-2021, 05:30 AM
Free Member

You can see the JVC HR-S9500 and the Hauppauge USB Live-2 in action here (with the YT compression): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMs...h1MmNAs7I8nu4g

In my case, no DVD-R pass-through used (lineTBC of VCR is enough), neither a frame TBC. But this depends on the conditions of the tapes.

HDMI / Scaler / DV capture are not recommended.
12-13-2021, 06:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Random Youtubers are often using bad methods. They have zero experience with video, aside from their own tiny stash of tapes. Many of them make the silly mistake of thinking the tiny preview window on their computer shows (or doesn't show) quality. What matters is when the content is actually watched (HDTVs, fullscreens, etc), and that's when their half-baked methods fall apart.

DV throws out 50% of your color data, adds blocks, and overall just makes video mush. DV was the conversion method of the 1990s. What you want is the conversion methods of the 2000s for analog tape conversion. (HD was the 2010s, and you want to avoid that as well.)

DV is passable for PAL, 4:2:0 instead of 4:1:1, like DVD-Video specs. But still, not ideal, not 4:2:2.

Blackmagic cards are infamous crap that drop frames. BM cards also don't report the drops, so you're flying blind. These make for great HD cards, and piss-poor SD cards. SD was a very lousy afterthought feature that should have been left off.

Do not upscale. That requires losing massive quality by messing with interlacing. You gain nothing, you lose much. Leave the master conversion 720x480 interlaced lossless, and then convert a carefully deinterlaced (QTGMC) version from it for streaming as needed. Youtube demands silly high specs, but the streaming world isn't just Youtube. So a 640x480 stream is just as viable as whatever Youtube's has decided on spec of the month. Streaming conversion has nothing to do with capturing, those are choices for post-capture.

JVC 9200 is ridiculously old and worthless. The 9500 (NTSC, not PAL) is passably decent, though the real quality of JVC decks didn't start until the x600 lines (9600, 7600, etc). Those 9500 are 25 years old now, and you must be careful buying. Those have a lot of potential problems. FYI, I generally avoid DD 9000s models. There are better JVC EOL decks, both quality and reliability.

Do not make the newbie mistake of running to eBay to buy VCRs, nor trust the ridiculous claims of "tested" and "working". Seeing lights (clock, etc) isn't working, and seeing any quality image on screen from a ratty old retail VHS tape (TMNT, Home Alone, whatever) isn't testing. Insane. At least 85% of all eBay decks are crap, including most of the "tested" and "working" nonsense. Most VCRs are sold by recyclers and estate sellers, and they really don't understand a VCR any better than a toaster.

PAL is PAL.
NTSC is NTSC.
Machines were made that "play both", but do so quite poorly.
PAL VCRs often play NTSC, but in a quasi format that cannot be captured (not to any spec).

ES20 will not work.
ES10/15, ES25 (warning: mixed results here), EH75V, maybe few others in PAL lands

- DV boxes are not TBCs.
- DV boxes do not contain TBCs. (Anybody claiming that is damned moron. I get tired of that myth, which started due to B&H putting wrong info on their site many years ago. I called them out on this, first in private, then in public, before that BS was removed.)
- The exception is the ADVC-300, which has the super-weak laughable line TBC. So weak that it may as well not exist. The byproduct of a frame TBC is literally more powerful line-wise than the 300 line TBC.

No, not Hauppauge 1700
I've never heard of the ImpactVCBe, and that's probably not a good thing.
Live2 is passable, but mixed usage results there. Some like it, many do not. I'm neutral on it.

AIW really is the pinnacle of the capture cards for SD videotapes. (Amusing, the Pinnacle brand has some decent USB cards, certain subversions of certain models, but not the pinnacle of quality. Not living up to the brand name!)

Don't dig the basement, pull out some awful single-core P4 with IDE drives. You''ll think the AIW is bad, but it's the computer. You can build a nice system with 2010s specs, anything from budget SATA/dual-core systems, to even 7th gen Intel i7 CPUs and post-2015 motherboards. Do yourself a favor, install the unofficial patched/backported XP Integral edition. (Warning, the guy that makes Integral is a kook, so don't read his blog beyond the XP page. You'll just get dumber.)

Never scale videotape. The end.
The HDTV will scale as needed. Computer player software is the same.

The Youtube "dude" (the "little weird" capture method guy) is a dumbass, one of those people that pretends to know stuff. He fools newbies, but anybody with even passable knowledge on video knows he's out of his depth (and mind). He's been trashed online for years. In actuality, he's one of those folks that doesn't know a VCR from a toaster. The HDMI converter method is probably one of the most piss-poor method to convert VHS tapes, even worse than infamous Easycaps (which earned the nickname Easycrap).

Extron gear has always been interesting at face value, but never actually usable. Nobody even use it for anything. It's just stuff that gets passed around on eBay, antiquated broadcast gear with no consumer analog videotape usage scenarios.

Now then...

So your 9500, fine, be careful, but only if NTSC.
If PAL, no.

ES20, no. DVD recorders are not TBCs. Some Panasonic models were unique, allowed passthrough of line TBC (and non-TBC frame sync), but it's minimalist, and there's a fail rate. ES10/15/etc, and then fortified with DVK, actually gives a 99% TBC(ish), but still with DVD recorder downsides. But that's the price of budget. Save money, costs hidden.

If you can do the AIW, you'll thank yourself later. If you just insist on post-XP, not building computer, etc, then look for certain cards known for quality, like ATI 600 USB and clones. If Win10, then you have limited choices, like certain Pinnacles (for now, at least, until Microsoft nukes those too).

Remember to see the marketplace subforum of this site, some of us have extra gear. And some people are done with their projects. (Buy it, use it, resell it. The gear holds value.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-13-2021, 06:24 AM
Free Member

PAL HS-S9500 should be fine, though I would maybe consider a different JVC without the dynamic drum system if you have the option. Only thing it lacks compared to the PAL HS-S9600 really is the ability to use the soft and sharp picture modes that you don't really want anyhow, otherwise the internals are very similar. The one thing about that lineup that differs otherwise is that the PAL S7500 lacks TBC, while all the later S7xxx (and the NTSC S7500 which is very close to the PAL S8500) models had a TBC.

ES20 lacks the stabilizing functions of the other panasonics as noted, I know the NTSC DMR-EZ48 is not good, though there are some difference between NTSC and PAL for the newer Panasonic DVR-recorders so the PAL variant may be good, but I don't know for sure.

The Sony should also work pretty well in most cases. It is a bit more prone to dropping frames than the panasonics on very bad tapes but on the plus side it doesn't have the issues with clipping very bright that the panasonics can have.

The pcie cards you mention are all based on similar chipsets (impactvcb, related to the chip used in the hauppauge live dongle, not sure how the drivers are on those cards though. The IO-data gv usb2 is also an option if you want something that works fine with win10, though you have to order it from japan so it will take some time to ship (just recently got one of these).

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
12-13-2021, 06:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Random Youtubers are often using bad methods....
you are truly the Lord, you share your knowledge and you care that people do not spend unnecessary money, I appreciate it very much.

what i could buy is: s9500 ms so i have to wait to buy something better. as i guess i need two VCR for NTSC and PAL system.

so if ES-10 is sufficient, thats better for me, it's even cheaper ($ 15)

with regards to capture card, i will try to find something on usb for my current computer, if it fails it will build a second one with ATI AIW 800XL(build PC its no problem for me)

I also found:
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER X600 128MB PCI-E
or
ATI All in Wonder PCI 3D Rage Pro 8 MB ?
they are good?

Quote:
Don't dig the basement, pull out some awful single-core P4 with IDE drives. You''ll think the AIW is bad, but it's the computer. You can build a nice system with 2010s specs, anything from budget SATA/dual-core systems, to even 7th gen Intel i7 CPUs and post-2015 motherboards. Do yourself a favor, install the unofficial patched/backported XP Integral edition.
any recomendation about motherboard ? I am curious what motherboard will support the agp and I7 processor?

Last edited by sn1p3r; 12-13-2021 at 07:27 AM.
12-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Free Member

That Babydav again in your first youtube link? He was banned from videohelp because of his argumentative behavior, He swears by his stupid ways of capturing video.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
12-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Free Member

If buying used cards such as the AIW, be sure you get the breakout cables that go with it. Some will sell a bare card, but no cables and that becomes a problem because the cables needed to connect s-video or composite video are difficult to find.

The methods you select will depend on your ultimate goals and time budget (including time on learning curve) as well as money you can afford to spend up front, and quality standard for the end product. Do you plan to do restoration, color grading, or other editing of the video? What is you intended distribution format?

VCRs are electro-mechanical devices. Rubber and plastic parts age and harden, crack, stretch, crumble, wear, etc. Some electronic components values change, weaken over time, especially electrolytic capacitors. Thus two machines of the same make and model may well perform very differently with the same tape. Also, apparent performance of gear often depends on the condition of the tapes it is fed. Some tapes may play well in almost any VCR, others may be very fussy. Similarly capture card behavior often depends on the quality of the signal it is fed. Out of spec sync pulses and levels can baffle some cards while others digest the same signal with relative ease. Line and frame TBC's can mitigate this issue.

VHS and Video8 were consumer formats so don't count on professional or broadcast gear as a solution to quality. The broadcast industry used different formats, and the equipment they used was used heavily and sold when beyond economical repair or rendered obsolete by changes in standards. FWIW the VHS tape duplication services (not the ones used by main stream film studios) I have visited operated with racks of consumer VCRs fed by distribution amps making the copies.

As notes buying off ebay or other auction sites is a crap shoot at best. If you do buy be sure you have return rights and exercise them quickly if the gear you buy does not match what was advertised. If trolling garage sales and thrift shops for gear, take a test tape and a small monitor along to check basic operations.
12-13-2021, 11:08 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
If buying used cards such as the AIW, be sure you get the breakout cables that go with it. Some will sell a bare card, but no cables and that becomes a problem because the cables needed to connect s-video or composite video are difficult to find.
found the AIW X800XL with cables. Is processor selection important when it comes to video capture? or any celeron or P4 sufficient?

when it comes to VCR it's hard to find something from the JVC S9XXX series in europe in good price.

Last edited by sn1p3r; 12-13-2021 at 11:19 AM.
12-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Free Member

which capture card will be more appropriate

ATI AIW X800XL 256MB PCIe or ATI ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500 128MB DDR AGP ?
12-13-2021, 03:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

Do not be in a rush, and start randomly buying things. Research more. For example, I want to post again, but it may be a few days, time limited here for me.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: sn1p3r (12-13-2021)
12-13-2021, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Here's a discussion that might be useful. It includes links to others on this subject.

AIW X800XL vs. 8500: there are pros and cons. The PCIe card opens up the choices for motherboards and CPU's vs. the AGP which can make finding the supporting hardware more difficult. All of the PCIe cards require later MMC software that does not work as nicely to create MPEG files directly so some will shun them on that basis. For lossless capture there are less disadvantages but all of the PCIe cards capture with an offset image which puts a narrow black band on the right side of the image. Since one is most likely going to mask the image anyway after capture (to cut out the head switching noise at the bottom at minimum) this is not really a big problem since the offset can be negated at the same time. Another complaint about the PCIe cards is that most, including the X800XL (I believe) are a bit power hungry and therefore heat generators within the PC so require better case ventilation, etc. All that said, there are many dedicated forum members that are very happy with their PCIe capture cards.

As has been stated above, for any AIW, you need to get the correct input/output cables for them to be useful. I'm not that familiar with the 8500, but I think it requires a peculiar 29 pin cable which provides all of the analog I/O. It's the same connector style as the AIW 9600's use but it is not the same pinout or cable.

You might do a bit more digging on this forum using it's internal Google search function.
Possible useful searches:
"best motherboard for agp"
"silver stab connector"
"aiw pcie"

Good luck,
BW
The following users thank BW37 for this useful post: sn1p3r (12-15-2021)
12-15-2021, 05:41 AM
Free Member

after 2 days reading I come back with thoughts and questions.

I decided to build a PC for capture only

MPEG 2 capture works best with ATI MMC and the best choice is ATI AGP slot card.

And if I want to capture a lossless AVI file with VirtualDUB, I can choose PCIE and it will give me the same quality as ATI AGP card and after all i can convert the file to MPEG2 on my main PC with the same results like capture MPEG2 wih ATI AGP.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any alternative to Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card? any modern PCIE or USB cards?
12-15-2021, 09:31 AM
Free Member

MPEG2 is an outdated compression scheme, It got replaced by more efficient and better quality modern codecs, For the same quality of MPEG-2 you get about 1/4 the file size in h.264, for the same size of MPEG-2 you get better quality, let alone lossless h.264 and h.265.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
12-15-2021, 09:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
MPEG2 is an outdated compression scheme, It got replaced by more efficient and better quality modern codecs, For the same quality of MPEG-2 you get about 1/4 the file size in h.264, for the same size of MPEG-2 you get better quality, let alone lossless h.264 and h.265.

you say that i should capture Lossless AVI file and convert with H.264/h.265 codec?

so I'm curious why some people still capture mpeg 2 files?
12-15-2021, 10:35 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1p3r View Post
you say that i should capture Lossless AVI file and convert with H.264/h.265 codec?

People can use whatever they want, Some people are still using black and white CRT TV's.
12-15-2021, 11:33 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1p3r View Post
Because they don't care about quality and they aren't planning to do any kind of restoration, they just want a quick and easy way to capture and their hardware encodes directly to MPEG-2 (or DV or H.264 or whatever).
12-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

VCRs:

Let's clarify:
- 7500 = no TBC
- 9500 = TBC, or no TBC? ... and I thought not

Almost of bigger concern is the DD, or lack of DD. And some models do seem to hold up better. The NTSC 9600-9911 have mostly fallen apart by this late date (2020s).

MPEG:

MPEG-2 can be fine.

Bitrate matters. DVD-Video compressed highly, 9mbps max (usually far less, 5-6 max used)
Blu-ray is 15mbps
Broadcast is 50 max. MPEG is still in wide use by broadcasters.

I'm a TV/toon hobbyists from way back. A lot of my 90s and early 00s recordings are S-VHS. There's zero reason to convert lossless, I just want a clone of my VHS tapes. (FYI, not a crappy "clone", but using S-VHS decks and TBCs.) 15mbps MPEG gives that. If I want to do anything more special, I can recapture lossless. Or just convert from the MPEG masters, because it's just TV and commercials. (Only when something is rare and unreleased, such as my 1977 SP mode master recording of the Star Wars Holiday Special, does lossless matter.)

I dumped a lot of family tapes to MPEG-2 some years ago. And then I went back and re-captured lossless anything the needed it. But that was then. HDDs are far larger now, CPUs faster, etc. No reason to not capture lossless these days. That was also before VHS degrading started to hit mainstream, so I was able to take several captures without gritting my teeth.

There is no good alternative to TBSC, no. I tried Xonar, but wasn't impressed.

12-15-2021, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
VCRs:

I dumped a lot of family tapes to MPEG-2 some years ago. And then I went back and re-captured lossless anything the needed it. But that was then. HDDs are far larger now, CPUs faster, etc. No reason to not capture lossless these days. That was also before VHS degrading started to hit mainstream, so I was able to take several captures without gritting my teeth.

and that's what I'm saying, if loseless capture is the best option, is PCIe a good choice?
now hdd/sdd is cheap, e6800 also. if you have ATI PCI card, b75 intel chepset option its good to.
if AGP is overall bettter choice is what i wanna know.

the only thing i think of a pcie card is that i can build a mATX board and the pcie card is more available

sorry but i missing the link, what i should test before buy the VCR?

Last edited by sn1p3r; 12-15-2021 at 04:27 PM.
12-15-2021, 05:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
VCRs:
Let's clarify:
- 7500 = no TBC
- 9500 = TBC, or no TBC? ... and I thought not

Almost of bigger concern is the DD, or lack of DD. And some models do seem to hold up better. The NTSC 9600-9911 have mostly fallen apart by this late date (2020s).
For that year's models (1998):
PAL: Both the HR-S8500E_ (which I have one of) and HR-S9500E_ has TBC and DD, HR-S7500E_ does not have either. The TBC works on PAL and NTSC playback, but not for MESECAM on models that have it.

Same for the MS variants (SECAM) though I don't know whether the TBC is active with SECAM or not on those. THose also have a SECAM->PAL converter (The 9500MS converts both ways.)

For US models, the S9500 and S7500 has TBC and DD, the S4500 has only DD, S3500 has neither.

There is also a HR-S5500AM (not to be confused with the much older models named HR-S5500) which is NTSC/PAL multi-system/multi-voltage with DD but no TBC, and a few HR-DD models that are normal VHS hi-fi but feature the dynamic drum system like the HR-DD858E and the HR-DD750U.

There is actually a full list for that year in this doc showing which models have the digital boards (though it seems there may be some minor changes after the doc was published.)

There are of course also going to be japanese equivialents but don't know much about those.
12-16-2021, 06:18 PM
Free Member

Quote:
what about that card:
https://retrosoundcards.wordpress.co...heater-xp-6-1/

have the same chip like TBSC and have own DSP procesor.