Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-23-2021, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Hello,
I just bought lordsmurf's complete workflow & need some help setting it up.
He sent the jvc sr-mv45, Big VooDoo TBC, and the pinnacle systems gmbh 510-usb rev:2.0.
I'm very new to this & need help knowing how to set this up.

What do I all need for cords?
Do I need a remote for the JVC?
How is everything supposed to be wired together?
What software should I be running on my Windows 10 PC to get the output there?

I know that's a lot of questions but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.
Thanks all,
-Gartrand
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-23-2021, 04:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Lot to unpack here.

For others reading, required notes:
- Big Voodoo TBCs are mostly bad, should be avoided. But certain models, from certain dates, with certain chips, are very good, essentially best of DataVideo and Cypress in a single unit. I don't come across these often, and list them in the marketplace when I do.
- Pinnacle cards are overall not great. Certain Pinnacle cards had long production life, with mid-production changes. And the revisions didn't reveal this. Some sub-versions were good, some not.
- Obviously the OP here is using good BV and Pinnacles.
- And great JVC deck, but only if refurbished. That model is a problem in non-refurb condition, almost always severely in need of maintenance and realign.
- NTSC vs. PAL also makes a difference with every piece here, this is an NTSC only setup.

Alright, on to the questions...

svideo from VCR to TBC, another svideo TBC to capture card

JVC power cord attached, BV has OEM 5V included (must be OEM!), Pinnacle powered via USB

Yes, remote required. Get the RM-SDR013J from eBay, make sure battery cover is present, only buy listings that show no acid leaked in battery compartment. I'd also pay more for one that doesn't look dirty or moldy (yes, the rubber buttons can mold). Do not buy from China. My units do not include remotes, due to where/how I source them. In a pro environment, remotes are consumables, wear eventually. And this model was strictly a pro deck, sold to gov/edu/studio, from places like CDW and B&H.

This model JVC, unlike most others, saves the menu preferences session to session. Right now, all the VHS menu settings are correct, only the DVD side requires it. TBC on/off, Ch up/down (for manual tracking, if needed), play/stop/FF/REW are on the deck face plate. So you can start using it now.

With this exact card, Win10, right now (current Win10 released build), use VirtualDub2. If the defaults give any issues, there are workarounds. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is one of the few times VirtualDub2 (fork) is desired, and not VirtualDub 1.9.x (official).

You must use Crossbar Thing to swap input from composite to s-video, before launching VirtualDub2. Some systems save this change, session to session. Some forget at reboot.

And that should be enough to get your started.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: SouthernerMan (03-03-2024)
12-24-2021, 01:01 PM
Free Member

Thank you so much for the quick start guide, LS!!

So I need to buy two SVideo cables. Do I need to look for some specific specs on the cables? I know how important it is to ensure that your cables aren't your weak link in the system.
I assume I'll be using the USB-B to USB-A for the connection between the PC & the Pinnacle that you included, right?
I'll work on finding a remote. What's the purpose of having one if I can use the buttons on the player?

So the JVC & the Pinnacle I don't have to worry about switching settings, right?
For the Big Voodoo TBCs what settings do I need to change? What is manual tracking, what's it used for, & how is that fine-tuned?
So I'm supposed to use VirtualDub2 for the actual video recording software on my PC but what is VirtualDub2 (fork)? Is that a special connector or something?
And I'm assuming Crossbar Thing is the software to use with VirtualDub2 to ensure it can read my SVideo signal, right?

Thanks again as I get acclimated to this new world!