12-22-2021, 07:19 AM
Free Member

Hey,

I was thinking of using a Panasonic DRM-ES10. I have had a read through a few of the threads and have a few questions regarding some concepts that I have not been able to grasp.

If I use a VCR with an in-line TBC then my understanding is that I would need to disable that on the VCR for it to function on the ES10. Is the TBC on the EMS10 known to be superior or would it be a case of trying it out and checking it?

Second, are there any disadvantages or advantages if I record my VHS tapes straight to DVD using the EMS10? Or is it better to use the EMS10 as a passthrough device? I was thinking of recording to DVD, and then ripping the DVD.

At the moment, I won't be purchasing a dedicated TBC as it is out of my budget.

Thank you
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-22-2021, 09:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja99 View Post
If I use a VCR with an in-line TBC then my understanding is that I would need to disable that on the VCR for it to function on the ES10.
The first line TBC wins. So enable JVC, and Panasonic does nothing (but sometimes, less often, makes signal worse, line TBCs fight each other). In that scenario, the ES10 becomes mere non-TBC frame sync, not overly useful, but still better (minimally) than nothing.

Quote:
Is the TBC on the EMS10 known to be superior or would it be a case of trying it out and checking it?
JVC S-VHS and ES10/15 line TBC are not better/worse, just different. The ES10/15 is stronger+crippled. The crippling, enforcement of anti-copy, is why. It has holes carved in it, swiss cheese TBC. Natural errors can look like artificial anti-copy errors.

Quote:
Second, are there any disadvantages or advantages if I record my VHS tapes straight to DVD using the EMS10?
Panasonic DVD recorder quality is infamously crappy, some of the worst DVD recorders ever made in terms of visuals and encoding. These ES models further made really stupid choices with bitrates, so actually worse yet.

Quote:
Or is it better to use the EMS10 as a passthrough device?
Yes.

Quote:
I was thinking of recording to DVD, and then ripping the DVD.
This is viable, just not with this model, unless you want chunky noisy videos.

Quote:
At the moment, I won't be purchasing a dedicated TBC as it is out of my budget.
Then perhaps wait for the full project.

What will happen is this: at some date, you'll regret a cheap/lousy conversion, and redo it all. Maybe not 100% of the tapes, but some good % of them. I've seen this happen so many times over the years. I'd easily wager a large double-digit minority of current site traffic is doing just that. Many of my hardware buyers (my marketplace items) are not 1st-timers, but 2nd-timers trying to get it right. (Some are also redoing work as DIY, because the quack "service" botched their transfer job.)

Right now, get familiar with the process.

As the zen monk said: "To know where to begin, you begin."

Get a ES10, those are cheap. See these things for yourself. Start learning the workflow. Don't rush,. Don't make mistakes -- especially not a primary mistake of thinking quality is "fine" as seen from small preview window on computer, and not your huge TV or large computer monitor full-screen.

Then hold, patience, save, upgrade, then proceed with it seriously. That's my seasoned advice for you.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Ninja99 (12-22-2021)