digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   How to handle tapes, multiple camera clips? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/12453-how-handle-tapes.html)

SeveralOrange7639 01-23-2022 06:15 AM

How to handle tapes, multiple camera clips?

The VHS tapes that I am wanting to digitalise are tapes that are made up of multiple short clips that were originally recorded on a handheld camcorder and then transferred onto these VHS tapes.

My plan for the end result was to have digital files of the full tapes, which I could store as captured. Then use these files and split the recording up into clips and then could give each of these clips names, this would save me searching through 5 minute clips on a 3 hour recording for example and make them easier to share.

So far with VirtualDub I have only changed the FPS, audio resolution, video resolution and compression. Should I be applying any filters or cropping etc before capturing, or should I be editing the capture after?

I was thinking of having two versions of the cut clip, one left in the lossless format, and another in a compressed format that I would be able to upload or play on devices without having the Huffyuv codec installed. I might also want to burn some to DVD for some of my family who still use them.

I have done some test recordings in VirtualDub and they play on my PC with VLC with deinterlace turned on without any problems. But I imagine the family members I would be wanting to share these with will get stuck.

latreche34 01-23-2022 01:29 PM

Never change the frame rate from its original one. you will have compatibility problems.

SeveralOrange7639 01-23-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latreche34 (Post 82176)
Never change the frame rate from its original one. you will have compatibility problems.

I changed it to 25fps as I am in the UK using PAL. Before changing this setting the audio was out of sync with the video and since changing appears to work okay. Is that correct?

latreche34 01-23-2022 05:42 PM

Why would you need to change it, it should be 25 fps in the first place unless you are capturing the wrong way.

lordsmurf 01-25-2022 05:51 AM

No crop/filter at capture time. Will cause dropped frames, if even captures.

Capture lossless, encode/filter copy in Hybrid. Don't capture twice, that's silly/nuts.

Yes, change fps/res/etc to PAL values, then done. VirtualDub isn't always defaulted to PAL.

You're on the right path. :)

SeveralOrange7639 03-20-2022 11:13 AM

Thanks for the help. I have captured a couple of tapes in Huffyuv, the files play okay in VLC and Windows Media Player on my PC.

I am now looking at splitting these captures up into smaller clips (Christmas, birthdays, days out) so I can share the shorter clips with family, and they can play on their PC or phone etc. without having to install anything extra.

Should I run the whole tape capture through Hybrid, and then edit the converted file in Premiere Pro to split it up into clips? Should I be applying any filters, or should I be editing the video after it has been converted/compressed?

I have had a look on the forum but can't find much about configuring Hybrid. Is there one available?