Quantcast Help with Hi8 or VHS conversion? - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
04-09-2022, 07:16 AM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello!
(I can feel awkward because I am not good at English!)

I am doing indie music in South Korea!
I'm trying to get an analog video source for MV production.
so I have a few questions.

I have a hi8 camera (Sony CCD-SC7 Hi8 NTSC)
I have a usb capture card (I-O DATA GV-USB2)
No VCR or TBC(Maybe there is no tbc in CCD-SC7)

At first, I was going to convert it to a digital 8 cam.
Then someone said, "Why do you use digital methods while pursuing analog aesthetics?"
He recommended the Videonix MX-1 to me.
There are retro aesthetics and TBC functions, is that a good choice?

If I need them, do you have any VCR,TBC,etc. model recommendations?

Is this enough capture card?
I found out that ATI AIW card and Window XP OS are good,
Are they necessary?

I think the budget is around $1000.
If you need more budget, it will take time, but more is possible.

and.. I'm willing to use the VHS camera later.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
04-09-2022, 09:10 AM
Hushpower Hushpower is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 411
Thanked 70 Times in 68 Posts
Carrying on from your other topic, here's some stuff on VHS VCRS:

Background info on VCRs:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...VHS-VCR-or-not

VCR recommendations from DigitalFAQ:
VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional) for restoring video

(I reckon that topic should be in "Workflows", not "Capture".)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
04-09-2022, 10:50 AM
jsj2251 jsj2251 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Carrying on from your other topic, here's some stuff on VHS VCRS:

Background info on VCRs:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...VHS-VCR-or-not

VCR recommendations from DigitalFAQ:
VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional) for restoring video

(I reckon that topic should be in "Workflows", not "Capture".)
oh thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
04-09-2022, 11:45 PM
Hushpower Hushpower is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 411
Thanked 70 Times in 68 Posts
These are thoughts I have picked up from this site and others:

Best VCR is a SVHS VCR, even though your tapes may be only VHS.

For PAL VCRs, this site is recommended: https://vcrshop.com/category/vcr/vid...a-format=s-vhs

Ebay can be hit or miss.

For NTSC VCRs, best to talk to Lordsmurf (owner of this site).

If getting a VCR without an inbuilt TBC, also get a DVD Recorder for passthrough, which acts as a line TBC. Best for this is the Panasonic ES-10 or 15.

Lordsmurf will also recommend a Frame TBC. In my experience, you could try capturing without one first. By the looks of it, a Frame TBC is the by far most expensive part of the workflow, and you may well get away OK without it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
04-09-2022, 11:57 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,926
Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
I'm trying to get an analog video source for MV production.
I don't know what this means.

Quote:
Then someone said, "Why do you use digital methods while pursuing analog aesthetics?"
So you're shooting analog video?

Quote:
He recommended the Videonix MX-1 to me.
There are retro aesthetics and TBC functions, is that a good choice?
The mixer is fine, but basic compared to even intro NLEs these days. The TBC is pretty crappy, tends to harm the image, not necessarily make it better. The TBC is not for passthrough, but made for the mixing.

Quote:
If I need them, do you have any VCR,TBC,etc. model recommendations?
VCR Buying Guide (S-VHS, D-VHS, Professional) for restoring video

Quote:
Is this enough capture card?
I found out that ATI AIW card and Window XP OS are good,
Are they necessary?
Not all ATI AIW are good, the Radeon post-128 AGP/PCI/USB (not PCIe) are what you want. XP only. Necessary for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
These are thoughts I have picked up from this site and others:
Best VCR is a SVHS VCR, even though your tapes may be only VHS.
For PAL VCRs, this site is recommended: vcrshop.com
Yes.

Quote:
Ebay can be hit or miss.
Mostly miss.

Quote:
If getting a VCR without an inbuilt TBC, also get a DVD Recorder for passthrough, which acts as a line TBC. Best for this is the Panasonic ES-10 or 15.
ES10/15 is strong+crippled line TBC, with non-TBC frame sync. The unit has side effects, adds a "digital" quality to videos, various artifacts, issues. It's a budget attempt to bypass TBC, and is very iffy, hit-or-miss. Mostly good for SP mode camcorder tapes, not anything made on VCRs, definitely not retail anything.

Quote:
Lordsmurf will also recommend a Frame TBC. In my experience, you could try capturing without one first. By the looks of it, a Frame TBC is the by far most expensive part of the workflow, and you may well get away OK without it.
Rarely "okay" without it. It's almost always an essential tool for conversion.

- line cleans the image
- frame cleasn the signal
You need both.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: jsj2251 (04-10-2022)
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need help with Hi8 or VHS conversion. jsj2251 Videography: Cameras, TVs and Players 0 04-09-2022 07:13 AM
Hi8 conversion: DVD, or BluRay? RyfromNY Restore, Filter, Improve Quality 0 02-20-2017 02:35 PM
SECAM-L conversion to DVD? photoguy1234 General Discussion 3 10-28-2016 03:15 AM
Question about VCR for VHS to DVD conversion pete General Discussion 9 03-14-2012 03:48 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM