Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Free Member

im in need of a good epson printer, i have looked on amazon but for every good review there is a bad one.
whats the best epson you can get for under £100 ?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-29-2008, 07:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Remember that reviews often reflect the stupidity of the person, not the quality of the item. And the ratio of of good to bad reviews is excessively skewed negatively, because people inherently prefer to complain rather than praise.

If you order from Amazon, remember to use our referral link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...reservation-21

Why do you need an Epson brand, anyway? I personally prefer Canon for the smaller/cheaper printers. Epson is better at the higher-end inkjets at the moment. For laser, I go with Konica-Minolta.

Show me a printer you were interested in, and I'll analyze the feedback for you, and see if the reviews are legitimate complaints, or whiny nonsense from idiots.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
So far, the first 4-5 negative comments on the 4400 are by stupid people. All printers come with low-capacity carts (keeps costs cheap), the noise and speed of all inkjet printers is about the same. Clogged nozzles is the nature for inkjet printing, it happens to them all at some point. Trying to use third-party carts is not suggested, and hard to do for most all inkjet printers now. Grain/pixel issues are usually from low-res images printed from e-mail. I don't single ONE SINGLE VALID negative comment in there. It's all ramblings of morons.

I have to say, I don't like all-in-one printers. They ALL refuse to scan, fax, etc -- unless the ink cart is full and ready. I prefer to have a separate scanner and printer these days. That is the one valid complaint I saw, under the 8400 model. Of course, if you plan to keep ink ready on hand, and don't heavily rely on a scanner like I would, then not a worry.

The negative comment writer for the SX200 model is another idiot. All inkjet printers have hissy fits if it has too much paper jammed in that micro-sized top loading tray. The same person seems to have left a comment under SX100, and the logo thing is user error, no doubt. The lack of USB cable is cheap on the part of Epson, but consumers demand dirt-cheap printers, and skimping cables lets them do it. Buy a cable for $5 and quit crying.

The R285 complaints are somewhat valid -- it does use ink at startup/test, it does have various mechanical issues that plague the entire run of printers. But it's random, not every unit does it. Few do. The usual "it hates non-Epson ink" stuff is written by idiots, they should understand Epson makes money off ink, not printers, so they've done all they can to dissuade third-party ink use. HP, Minolta, Canon, Xerox -- they are all the same way about it.

I've not read anything that say "DO NOT BUY". I see lots of crybabies and dummies, however.

Personally, I prefer Canon inkjets for home use. Epson is better for the higher-end machines for business use (printing large photos, charts, etc). But these Epson printers look fine to me, should you choose one.

And again, PLEASE USE THE referral link in my last post, when going to Amazon.co.uk, as it will give credit to this site, which is one way we can raise funds. We won't get credit any other way.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to wayshway
I have the R260 which uses the Hi Definition Ink and prints on the discs as well.

There are some nasty tricks Epson does with their printers.

1. Never turn it off. Every time you have to turn it back on, it charges and sucks down the ink.

2. Never let a cartridge run out completely. If you let this happen, the cartridge case will not move so you can change it. You'll have to shut it off and turn it back on so it charges and sucks down the ink. Then it will charge again once you replace the ink.

3. You're only allowed so many prints until the printer shuts down and tells you that you have to service it. You'll need to download a program that overrides it.

4. There's always plenty of ink even though it says you're running out. You'll also have to download a program that overrides that as well.

ttyl
12-02-2008, 05:46 AM
Free Member

thanks for that info. i always turn my off i wont anymore
12-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Free Member

went for the r285 i used the referral link
12-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Free Member

wayshway

whats the name of the program that overrides it and were can i find them ?

thanks.
12-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to wayshway
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by d.smyth

wayshway

whats the name of the program that overrides it and were can i find them ?

thanks.
It's been a while but I'm sure its SSC Service Utility
for Epson Stylus Printers.
http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

You can also poke around the printer forum at:
http://www.printerforums.net/epson-f12p7.html

ttyl