Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Free Member

Hi, I have a few questions about these steps that you gave me awhile ago..

"Cut the first part of the video, delete the video/audio after it.
Export it to a new file, such as "Tape 1 video 1.mpg"
When done, close the little export box.
Press the back arrow to the right of the timeline, in the toolbox there. It's the same as pressing CTRL+Z, or "undo". This will undo your delete.
Now delete the first part. Move the existing audio and video to the start of the timeline.
Cut the second part, delete the video/audio after it.
Export is to a new file, such as "Tape 1 part 2.mpg"
When done, close the little export box.
Press the back arrow to the right of the timeline, in the toolbox there. It's the same as pressing CTRL+Z, or "undo". This will undo your delete.
Now delete the second part. Move the existing audio and video to the start of the timeline.
etc etc etc -- Repeat until all your parts are cut up. "

Question 1 - Ok..for step 1 "Cut the first part, delete the video/audio after it." I used the scissors icon (I assume that's the cut tool?) at the end of the 1st part, and then I clicked everything after the 1st part, and hit delete and the rest of the video disappeared, and then I did the same thing with the line 3, and that also disappeared. Did I do this step right?

This is the workflow that I've developed- (if wrong on any step, please correct me, this is the first workflow I've ever made for myself)

1 - Capture
2 - Edit video in Womble
3 - Seperate the audio from the video
4 - Encode video in MC
5 - Bring the encoded video back into Womble, seperate each part on the video (as you listed in the steps above)

I'm confused on the next steps however. The audio is still mp2 on step 5. The entire video is different recordings (parts) and I'm splitting the video into seperate parts, saving each one (as you told me to above) and restoring the audio to each part one at a time in SoundForge.
So, would I need to bring each part into Goldwave one at a time, and save each part one at a time as WAV, then go into SF, restore each part one at a time, then go into TMPGE AC3 and convert each one into AC3 one at a time as well?

Sorry for the confusing question, but I'm to the point now where I'm finally getting this set ready to make to DVD, which is what we've been preparing me for on here for the last several months, and I just want to make sure I do every step perfect.

Thanks so much.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

That sounds right, I think so, yes. Your question is a bit confusing, but I think you've got it. Now go and do it, see what results you get.

You're turning a VHS tape into a big digital capture, you're cutting it up into pieces, re-encoding the captured video to a DVD-Video compliant spec, and fixing audio. Not necessarily in that order, but that's all you're doing.

Remember to see the forest, not just the trees.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Free Member

Ya, I figured it'd be kinda confusing..I know what I want to ask, just trying to figure out the best way to ask it is the hard part lol..you know the "parts" of my videos that I'm referring to...the entire video tape is several different "parts"/recordings, so for the audio restoration steps..
1. - Split the video in Womble into seperate "parts", save 1 at a time
2. - I bring each "part" serperately into Goldwave, save as .wav (1 at a time)
3. - Take the wav into SF, restore it (1 at a time)
4. - Go to TMPGE AC3 convert to AC3 (1 at a time)
07-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Free Member

Oh, and when I split it in Womble, I was kind of confused about how it was looking, and not sure if I was doing it right...

Ok..for step 1 "Cut the first part, delete the video/audio after it." I used the scissors icon (I assume that's the cut tool?) at the end of the 1st part, and then I clicked everything after the 1st part, and hit delete and the rest of the video disappeared, and then I did the same thing with the line 3, and that also disappeared.
After the rest of the video in 1 line and line 3 disappeared, is that when I'd save it?
Did I do this step right?
07-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Free Member

I just noticed something, disregard my 2 most recent posts above....when I bring the encoded video back into Womble to split it up into parts, there's no audio with it because I seperated it from the video in my 3rd step in my workflow.
So when I bring the encoded video into Womble to split the whole video into serperate matches so I can restore the audio for each match seperately, there's only video in line 1, and no audio in line 3.
If I do it this way, the video will be split, but the audio won't be split with each match, so I wouldn't be able to restore the audio match by match, as we discussed before. At least I don't see how I could?
What should I do? Should I alter my workflow?
Here's what my workflow is now..
- Capture
- Edit junk off video in Womble
- Seperate Audio from video in TMPEG
- Encode video only in MC
- Bring the encoded video back into Womble, seperate each match on the video (this is where the problem lies, because the video & audio are seperated already, and the audio doesn't get imported into Womble, only the video does, so there's video in line 1, but no audio in line 3)
- Convert audio MP2 to WAV in G.Wave
- Restore in SF
- Convert restored WAV to AC3 in TMPEG AC3
- Author
- Burn
07-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Drop the audio into Womble MPEG Video Wizard too, on the 3rd timeline. Export the audio, then the video, piece by piece.

07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Free Member

After I split the video up into seperate parts, would I then need to go back into TMPEG and seperate the audio from the video for a 2nd time before I take it into Goldwave, SF etc...?
The reason that I ask is, I just went into Goldwave to do the next step, and I realized the audio and video are together again for each seperate part, so I thought I might have to seperate them again.
07-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Free Member

Disregard my last post....I've been so worried about the video lately, that I forgot that GoldWave only does the audio, and I don't need to do anymore splitting
07-19-2009, 07:42 PM

Your workflow is messed up.

- Capture
- xxxxxxxxx
- Restore in SF
- Author
- Burn

During step 2 (in above workflow) is when you're supposed to split your clips up by individual recording.

It sounds like you've made a mess, so you may be repeating a bunch of steps again to get it back like it needs to be. You really were not supposed to re-encode the entire captured video file in MainConcept, only the smaller recordings. To fix this, just repeat all of the TMPGEnc demux steps, after re-merging audio+video in Womble to cut the clips up (using the big whole-tape audio and re-encoded video file as the source). Another way is to save audio and video pieces one by one in Womble, but I guess you're not understanding that part. You do not have to save audio+video together, you can save the individual streams, too.

I guess you can plod along like the last post said, but now you'll have an AUDIO+VIDEO MPEG and a new audio file too. So you'll need to be sure the authoring software ignores that extra audio track. Otherwise you'll have another mess to sort out.

07-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Free Member

Now that I think about it tho ..wouldn't I have to split it again before I save it as .wav because wouldnt there then be 2 audios? the one attached to the match, and then the one im restoring?
07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Free Member

I think we sent those 2 posts at about the same time..yeah I think I did mess up
If I'm reading your post right, I think you answered my q before I sent it in the post right under yours..so then, now that I have the parts split up, I will have to go into TMPEG and split the audio from the video on each one..and then do gw, and sf, right?
07-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Free Member

Also, I already encoded most of the videos that I already captured (encoded the whole video, which u said i shouldnt of done in your last post) so...am I going to have to delete everything and start totally over?
07-21-2009, 06:58 PM

No, don't delete and start over. Just do some extra steps for now, do work properly on next round of captures/encodes.

Pull the MC-encoded video into Womble MVW, with the MP2 source audio. Video on top timeline, audio on third. Cut both separately.

Now refer to method mentioned before to edit. Say there are 4 clips in one video capture. So cutting into 4 pieces. Cut audio and video timelines at SAME SPOT (important!), then delete long video piece that is still parts #2-4. Now also delete audio. Save #1 video. Go back, undo to bring back audio, delete video. Save #1 audio. Go back, undo undo, to bring back parts #2-4. Delete parts 1 audio and video. Move #2-4 forward, then cut between the #2 and #3 clips. Delete #3-4 clips. Delete #2 audio, save video. Undo delete, delete video, save audio. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Do you understand that now?

07-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Free Member

Ok..I do think I got that..so save audio and video seperately in Womble until I get everything saved the way you explained....then, go into goldwave...save as .wav , go into SF, restore, then TMPEG AC3...right?
Can you give me an updated workflow so I dont miss a step or whatever..heres what ive been doing..
- Capture
- Bring the encoded video back into Womble, seperate each match on the video (this is where the problem lies, because the video & audio are seperated already, and the audio doesn't get imported into Womble, only the video does, so there's video in line 1, but no audio in line 3)
- Restore in SF
- Author
- Burn
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Bring the encoded video back into Womble, seperate each match on the video (this is where the problem lies, because the video & audio are seperated already, and the audio doesn't get imported into Womble, only the video does, so there's video in line 1, but no audio in line 3)
You shouldn't have any more problems now. Import audio, too -- drag in from Windows onto third timeline.

Otherwise, yes, that should work, based off what you have already done.

Number your steps next time, so it's easier to refer to. Hopefully there won't be a next time, though, as I think you've got it now.

07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Free Member

k, so I dont need to seperate the audio twice in tmpeg, as I was asking earlier, correct? thats the big thing I got confused on. Just do it once in step 3 and that's it? Correct?
1 more q I forgot to ask, so instead of encoding the entire video, i only encode each match, 1 at a time, right? still using the settings elem. video and dont encode audio, correct?
07-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Free Member

Updated Post

Ok, based off the steps that you gave me a few posts ago, that's actually exactly what I've been doing in Womble. So I already had that part down and understood.

Here's the problem that I'm having, I'm not sure if you're totally understanding what I'm saying...

Ok, in DVD-Lab Pro, when I import an encoded video (a video that I encoded seperately from the audio because I restored the audio) the video file comes in immediately without demuxing first, and then I import the audio seperately, and that comes in immediately as well, with no demuxing.
In DVD-Lab, when you import a non encoded video that does not have the audio split from it (1 big file of video & audio together, in other words) it demuxes the video first, and then when that's done, it demuxes the audio, and then both are ready to go..

Ok, here is my problem....

I now have 2 video, and 2 audio files, for 1 video.
I have the full, encoded video with the split audio in 1 folder, (I know you said I should've encoded each split match seperately, but I did this before you made that post) and then I have the video split up into 5 seperate matches (the matches have not been encoded seperately, because I already encoded the full video before I seperated them) with the audio attached to each match.
So for example, Match 1 with the spilt audio for that match attached to that in it's own file, then Match 2 with the audio split attached to that for that match..etc..(these were split in Womble the way you told me to)
However, I just now realized that I have the new, restored audio for each match seperated by itself, for example match 1 new audio.ac3, match 2 new audio.ac3... etc up to 5...(I didn't know the split audio with the original video was still with each match seperately, i split them both in Womble as you instructed me to do, the way you instructed me to do it)

Now.....I thought everything was ok, I thought the audio was seperated already since I already did it from the full video before I split it up into seperate matches, but I just found out it's not...this is why I asked you earlier if I had to seperate the audio again from the new, split matches because I thought I'd end up with 2 audios and that's what happened...
I went into DVD Lab to author the DVD. I went to import Match 1and then it started to demux it, and once that was done, it demuxed the audio, well it shouldn't of done this as I explained earlier. I should've had to import both, 1 at a time, and they should've appeared instantly, but they didn't, they came in together and were both demuxed, like they would've done if the video was never encoded and the audio was never seperated, and restored.

So this leads me to believe that I should delete the folder with the full, encoded video, and split audio because I don't think I need it now?
Then encode the seperate matches 1 at a time, as you suggested earlier BUT......here is my problem with the audio...from what just happened in DVD Lab, I think I have to split the audio from each match seperately, and if you tell me that's what I have to do, can I just immediately delete that audio file that I'll split because I already have each audio completely restored for all 5 matches...or should I delete all 5 of the audio restores I did, and just do them all over from scratch after I split the audio from each match?

Another question.....when I encode each match seperately, what bitrate should I use? Each match ranges from about 15 - 45 minutes, should I use CBR 8-9,000? Also, Elemen. Video?
07-23-2009, 08:20 PM

This is getting too confusing. I don't understand what you're saying, no.

07-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Okay, looking at the images from the e-mail, it's just a matter of using common sense, I think. If you have too many videos or audios, then delete what you do not need.

From what you're saying, it appears that DVD-Lab is rather "stupid" software, when it comes to how it handles audio and video input. You have a .MPG with good video and bad audio together muxed in the same file, and a separate .AC3 file with your good audio. If DVD-Lab insists on using the bad audio from the .MPG, then yes, you need to demux your file beforehand. Don't ever let DVD-Lab have access to the bad audio. Only give it the .M2V/.MPV video stream, and the separate .AC3 file.

I do not have problems like this. My authoring software does not try to force me to use the audio muxed to a video. I can tell it to ignore the audio that is attached to a video file.

Bitrates...

You've asked about bitrate a few times, too. I've answered a lot of these so far, but it's probably time you started to use a calculator for this task. I did a quick Google search, and this one looks decent: http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/index.html -- note that you'll use the "kiloBits/sec" (not kilobytes), and set the size for 4400 MBytes (about the size of a DVD-5 single-layer disc).

A more complex calculator is at http://dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php#Calculator and some can be downloaded at http://www.afreecodec.com/bitrate-calculators

I actually use a normal calculator equation for my own estimates, or I guess a number based on past experiences at various lengths.

07-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Free Member

Ok, the basically I'll have to do what I thought I was going to have to then, seperating the audio in TMPEG from the seperate video file...and delete the "bad" or, unrestored audio

Should I adjust any of the steps in my workflow? Like move them around any, or should I keep them how it is?

I'll try the new calculator, the old one I was using kept giving me the same bitrate of like 9500 something for every video that was under an hour, that's why I asked if I should try 7-8000

Do you think I should try a new authoring software? What would you suggest?