12-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Free Member

Hi there, you seem to be the person to talk with as I have searched these boards a bit.

I am wanting to convert my family vhs and hi 8 tapes to a digital format using my imac...I would like to store it on a hard drive and then be able to burn dvds if/when needed.

I have many friends who would like me to do their tapes if I can down the road and need to know the best place to start equipment wise.

I do not want to pay some company to transfer my tapes for 12+ bucks each. I would like to do it myself and perhaps for others down the road.

What equipment would give me the best quality? I have been learning about TBC's and wonder what you recommend.
I bought a new iMac a few weeks ago and wonder if I could eventually use it via firewire to import then transfer to harddrive.

I am willing to spend what it takes to get the right equipment. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Whew, big questions. This is a workflow discussion.

You'll need a good Mac card. That narrows the options a bit. What's your budget for this project? El Gato cards can be good, but Matrox cards may be better. The Blackmagic Intensity cards are another option. Being that you have an iMac, you're stuck with a USB option, or a DV converter box.

The most important piece of the puzzle, however, is not the card but the VCR. Quite a few VCR conversations have gone on here in the past, msotly centering around the JVC 7000/9000/SR series machines, as well as the Panasonic AG-19xx series machines. See some of those conversations at
Video is not as hard as some imagine it (advanced degree in video NOT required)...
...but it's also not as easy as some would think (buy device at local electronics store, take it home, hit GO button, await new DVDs like it was a microwave dinner).

I would suggest against taking in videos from friends. It's a lot of work if done well. Or a lousy job if done fast.

Services that only charge $12 are the "fast food" businesses of the video industry. They show you that pretty decked-out photo of the burger on their ads, but what you get in return is the greasy sloppy mess that is a poor excuse for a meal. Your videos are treated like a commodity, run through an automated system with zero attention or care. A good job
takes time, good gear, and a fair price. You get what you pay for. They mak emoney on volume, and rarely get return customers. I actually handle a lot of work that companies like that fouled up.

For TBCs, the standard AVT-8710 is my suggestion. Get it from B&H at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166 for the best price, from a reliable dealer. For something a bit more advanced, consider the one currently for sale on this forum: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...proc-1774.html
Maybe check out a DataVideo TBC-1000 available from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00009XV2R

If you have any more questions, ask them here!
Thanks.

Was this helpul? Sign up and then upgrade to Premium Member status. Premium members get the advantage of one-on-one specific advice, not generic advice like you find in so many places. Best of all, it's less than the price of most books or a couple of magazines! For the complex answers needed for workflow questions, Premium membership is highly suggested.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs