Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
continued from private message...
To get the advice of lordsmurf, always post at the digitalFAQ.com forums.
Thanks!
I'll get an email that you've posted and take a look at your issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzblaster
Hi Mr. Lordsmurf,
your advice has been very helpful. I really appriciate it. I posted these but I really would like your personal opinion.

I'm planning to digitize some very valuable video tapes using the canopus 110 through firewire into Sony Vegas.

My friend had a great idea "why not back it up on a DVD recorder at the same time the tape is making a pass" It sounds like a good idea to me. I'm using a JVC HR 9600 with S video outputs on the front and back. Are the S video and audio ports on the front of the deck for going IN our are they going OUT, and if they are both going OUT will the signal be coming out of both at the same time. Or is there any other way to do this, with a splitter or something that won't degrade the signal to the computer or the standalone DVD recorder. Or is there any other way I can do this. It seems like a great way to have a back up in case I lose the data from the computer or some other technical catastraphe occurs. I know I could use the regular video out from the deck to the DVD recorder. Since these are mostley S VHS tapes would I lose much quality that way. And do the S video outs and regular (yellow) video out put out a signal at the same time. And since there might be only one set of audio out jacks would I be losing audio quality if used a splitter for those (If the front ones are in and not out).

Also, while I'm asking. As I have stated, I'm using the JVC HR 9600 you advised me to get. Playing tapes into the canopus 110 into a PC running XP using Sony Vegas 7 pro.

I know you say the 110 is no replacment for a TBC, but the tapes look OK and I do have that JVC. Should I play the JVC in the edit mode and if so how do I use it. I have an old JVC remote that works with it, but no edit mode funciton. If I should use "edit mode" should can I turn it on from the machine?

Also, are there any settings in sony vegas I need to use to get the best DV (AVI) files. Should I use the default settings or do I need to customize them. I would hate to spend all that time and possibly use my last chance to archive the tapes in a setting that is infirior to a setting that would give me a better capture.

Much thanks again
Fuzzblaster

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!
Thanks
Hi, glad to help.
I'll quote and make replies as I read your issue....

Quote:
I'm planning to digitize some very valuable video tapes using the canopus 110 through firewire into Sony Vegas.
Canopus into Vegas will work. A better idea would be to capture directly to an AVI file with WinDV. Bypass Vegas, as NLEs (non-linear editors) like Vegas or Premiere can cause loss of audio sync or dropped frames. Great editors, lousy capturing apps.

Quote:
My friend had a great idea "why not back it up on a DVD recorder at the same time the tape is making a pass" It sounds like a good idea to me.
I see no problem with this.

Quote:
I'm using a JVC HR 9600 with S video outputs on the front and back. Are the S video and audio ports on the front of the deck for going IN our are they going OUT, and if they are both going OUT will the signal be coming out of both at the same time. Or is there any other way to do this, with a splitter or something that won't degrade the signal to the computer or the standalone DVD recorder. Or is there any other way I can do this.
One input on front, one input on back, one output on back. To get two outs, you need a distribution amp. The DataVideo TBC-1000 has a built-in four-way output. This is my suggestion.

Right now there are some $50 "as is" TBC-1000's on eBay. No guarantee that they are not DOA duds, but it's not likely. It's hard to break a DataVideo TBC from what I've seen through the years. No power supply, but a quick trip to Radio Shack and $25 will fix that. Specs for power supply should be written on the TBC sticker on bottom or back. (Or find another TBC-1000 owner online/offline and ask him/her what the AC power adapter specs are, as shown on the label of the AC adapter.)

That may be a good inexpensive option!

Quote:
It seems like a great way to have a back up in case I lose the data from the computer or some other technical catastraphe occurs.
Agreed.

Quote:
I know I could use the regular video out from the deck to the DVD recorder. Since these are mostley S VHS tapes would I lose much quality that way.
Lose quality, yes.

You did not think of it, but you also SHOULD NOT capture the output from the DVD recorder with the Canopus, as most DVD recorders are going to be outputting filtered or even encoded video. You'll be another generation removed from your source.

Quote:
And do the S video outs and regular (yellow) video out put out a signal at the same time.
Yes.

Quote:
And since there might be only one set of audio out jacks would I be losing audio quality if used a splitter for those (If the front ones are in and not out).
Technically, yes. In practice, no, not really.
A better option would be an audio mixer board with multiple outputs.
This is a good option: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000J5XS3C
You'll need the proper wire adapters, of course, but it's just RCA to whatever-it's-called (I always forget the name of the "not mini" stereo connector). Best Buy has them. Don't get the mixer at Best Buy, however, overpriced compared to Amazon.

Quote:
I know you say the 110 is no replacment for a TBC, but the tapes look OK and I do have that JVC.
The Canopus box won't affect tape quality positively in this way. At most, it can compress the analog video to DV AVI with that "DV compressed" look to some colors, mostly reds and greens. Blacks and whites can also be cooked, as well as colors and shades haevily based on black, white, red and green.

Quote:
Should I play the JVC in the edit mode and if so how do I use it. I have an old JVC remote that works with it, but no edit mode funciton. If I should use "edit mode" should can I turn it on from the machine?
EDIT mode is turning off all filters. I know you have another thread on this, so I defer to my posts (and the posts of others) as already made there on this topic.

It's in the menu, not on the remote. The 9600 can be fully operated without a remote. The only thing good about the remote is the ability to clear the counter, set the VCR timer, and one-button adjust the audio input (mono, L, R, or HiFi).

Quote:
Also, are there any settings in sony vegas I need to use to get the best DV (AVI) files.
As per earlier in my response, just don't use it for "capturing" (transferring) the DV to the computer. Use WinDV. Save Vegas for editing after the AVI files are on the hard drive.

I think that's it. Hope it helps. Good luck on the project!
If you need anything else, post back, and I'll reply when time allows.

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Site Staff | Video

continued from follow-up private message...

Quote:
Sorry to bother you but I just wanted to let you know someone came up with a good solution. The 110 has another set of S video and audio out, for monitering. So I could use that.

I have the firewire going into the machine coming out of the front of the unit because the firewire cable that came with the power adapter to the 110 has a four pin plug that fits into the front. And the firewire port on my computer is the same size as the six pin end of the cable, so I must use that for the PC. Does it matter if the DV signal comes out of the back or the front of the 110 unit for getting the best quality into the computer.

Still need to know about playing the JVC in edit mode or not and if I need to change any settings in sony vegas.

Thanks again.
To answer each piece separately...

Quote:
someone came up with a good solution. The 110 has another set of S video and audio out, for monitering. So I could use that.
I would be wary about the output from the Canopus box. Is it unprocessed video, or are you now encoding DV to MPEG-2? That may not be a concern for you, but it's something I would not necessarily like. If you're okay with what you see, do it. Otherwise, I'd look into truly creating separate recordings by splitting the video and audio before any capture box gets a hold on it.

Quote:
I have the firewire going into the machine coming out of the front of the unit because the firewire cable that came with the power adapter to the 110 has a four pin plug that fits into the front. And the firewire port on my computer is the same size as the six pin end of the cable, so I must use that for the PC. Does it matter if the DV signal comes out of the back or the front of the 110 unit for getting the best quality into the computer.
If you take the box apart, you'll probably notice the front port is wired to the same card (or motherboard location) as the rear one. That's how all of my computers are, whether built or bought.

An out is an out.
An in is an in.
Location should not matter, for this conversation.

Quote:
Still need to know about playing the JVC in edit mode or not and if I need to change any settings in sony vegas.
As per above.

10-01-2010, 04:07 AM
Site Staff | Video

More PM comments worth sharing...

Remember to always post tech question, follow-up comments, etc in the forum, so others can benefit from your information and our conversations!

Quote:
HI, I just wanted to say that the Can. 110 going into my toshiba recorder (about backing up to another capture with the DV capture) made some of the best looking DVD's that I've gotten from the Toshiba. I sent an S video signal from the 110 into the standalone Toshiba DVD recorder. Really super results. Maybe the 110 converters are better and it just captuered that signal. Thanks for the input. Anything you have to say, I'm all ears.
Don't really have anything to add, no.
What little I had to say was written at http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...ur-Canopus-110

Good luck on your recordings and transfers!