Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Free Member

Okay, my SR-V10 arrived yesterday. Looks to be in good condition. It even came with an unused remote and new batteries. The manual was included as well, which I quickly realized was a very good thing.
Anyway, I connected to the TV for a brief playback test. I only had time to test a few tapes- it played my SP tapes fine, but the EP tape I tried was terrible as far as tracking. In both auto and manual tracking I could not get close to a good track.
I guess from what I've read this is somewhat inherent with this deck?
I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a second deck for EP stuff, but I'm guessing I might.
In this case the Panny AG-1980 would be a decent choice correct?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

You aren't alone, my HR-S7800U (older model, exact same innards as your SR-V10U) has the same EP tracking issues. Don't be surprised if it has poor Hi-Fi audio tracking as well (buzzing, random dropping to linear audio track). I'm awaiting my AG-1980, but I can endorse the JVC HM-DH40000U/SR-VD400U DVHS units as great EP tape trackers.
05-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Free Member

Thanks NJRoadfan
Since you are awaiting your AG-1980, I assume that means you feel it's still a better deck in some ways than the JVC HM-DH40000U?
If I bought a JVC HM-DH40000U, would I still want to use my SR-V10 for SP playback? or would the two decks be about the same for SP?
I would like to get an AG-1980 for EP playback, but they seem a little pricey (on ebay) for my current budget.
05-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
You aren't alone, my HR-S7800U (older model, exact same innards as your SR-V10U) has the same EP tracking issues.
This may be alignment related. I have several SR-V10 JVC VCRs, and one of them plays better than the others, though all are what I would consider excellent playback decks. Because all equipment is in production use, I've not really had the ability to do A/B/C/D test clips, and then A/B against 1980s and others.

Sometimes I think the smallest millimeter of alignment difference can make/break EP tracking perfection.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
05-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymation View Post
Thanks NJRoadfan
Since you are awaiting your AG-1980, I assume that means you feel it's still a better deck in some ways than the JVC HM-DH40000U?
If I bought a JVC HM-DH40000U, would I still want to use my SR-V10 for SP playback? or would the two decks be about the same for SP?
I would like to get an AG-1980 for EP playback, but they seem a little pricey (on ebay) for my current budget.
As kpmedia said, its likely alignment related. These machines according to other users are very hard to keep perfectly aligned, either way I'm not fooling around with the 7800U as it plays SP tapes with no problems. I would keep the SR-V10 for SP playback over the Panasonic. An old AG-1980 has its own possible problems due to aging capacitors. Things like herringbone noise, buzzing audio and fading front panel displays are common on those units. I'm picking one up because it was cheap and many here say its less likely to eat VHS-C tapes in the adapter (JVCs aren't friendly to VHS-C tapes).

The HM-DH40000U may have a better tape transport for EP as digital tape playback isn't very tolerant of poor tracking. Otherwise the only advantage it has over the SR-V10 is the fact that it has continuous frame sync on its outputs (you don't need an external TBC) and you can use the tape stabilizer with Digipure turned on (but only for EP tapes).