digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Starting From Scratch, Putting System Together for Video Conversion (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/3233-starting-scratch-putting.html)

rocko 06-28-2011 12:07 AM

Starting From Scratch, Putting System Together for Video Conversion

Just purchased AIW 9600 Pro (or XT)! "New" from ebay!. The seller's photos showed a 9600 with the "copper" fan shroud/heat sink,accessory packs labeled XT,and text for both XT and PRO?..We will see when it gets here!..He wrote me that he never installed the PRO but used the XT instead,(faster?)..I'm hoping that either version is great for capturing,I was told the PRO is the all time greatest card?...Anyway now I need to know what to tell my computer guy,so he can build an AGP based system (mobo,cpu,speed and all). Or, if possible, any suggestions where I might find an older system that's ready to go? or Used? Ect...Not really keen on building one myself! Currently have two Win 7 systems with pcie and pci only,One for video,One for music production. BTW,Ever hear of using a dual boot system XP/&7 ?? So I could use my current machine,but possibly with a pcie/agp mobo?/singl/dual core processor?or is that just plain nutts?? (Trying to avoid a third system!) Thanx

admin 06-28-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

(faster?)
Speed of ATI All In Wonder cards only applies to the graphics. If you're not playing video games, it won't matter. It does not affect video work in the slightest -- especially not capturing. Capturing is purely a process of disk I/O, some CPU, and a tiny sliver of RAM. The video card simply has to support XP basics (overlay, DirectX 9, etc).

Quote:

Anyway now I need to know what to tell my computer guy,so he can build an AGP based system (mobo,cpu,speed and all). Or, if possible, any suggestions where I might find an older system that's ready to go? or Used?
Offline, Microcenter sells a lot of pre-built AGP systems -- almost always refurbished Dells.
Online, Geeks.com sells a lot of pre-built AGP systems -- also various refurbs.

Outside of that, you'll have to build one one your own. Shop for cheap parts at Geeks.com

If you shop at Geeks.com, then use this link: http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?ca...&CJPID=3235990
That helps this site. Geeks shares tiny sliver of profit with us (2% of the sale, I think).

Honestly, building a computer sounds scarier than it really is. If you can put bread in a toaster, and operate a screwdriver, you possess all of the requires skills for the hardware. And if you can insert a disc into a drive, and read the instructions (as opposed to blindly just clicking on "yes", "ok", "next", etc), then you can install Windows XP. It's actually quite sad that so many folks either do not have those skills, or let fear control them. I promise that the computer will not burst into flames, implode, turn into a flesh-eating zombie, etc, if you do something wrong. At worst, you'll have to start over.

Quote:

BTW,Ever hear of using a dual boot system XP/&7 ??
Don't do it. You'll be sorry!

Quote:

Trying to avoid a third system!
An exercise in futility, I assure you. Simply do what the rest of us do -- get a good 4-port TrendNet KVM from Amazon.

lordsmurf 06-28-2011 01:59 AM

Get a good monitor, too.
Read this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/phot...html#post16236

It's not just a photo topic -- it's a video topic, too. A good IPS or S-IPS LCD makes a huge difference. :)

A good LCD is WYSIWYG.
A standard cheap LCD is WYSAWYG. (A = ain't)
The TV will look wildly different from the computer, when the work was done a cheap computer monitor.

rocko 07-02-2011 04:40 PM

OK! Received AIW 9600/PRO/XT ! (Was advert. as a 9600 PRO and New).What I got looks great,in an OEM box,the box lable says 9600 PRO,but photo of an XT,with offset copper heatsink/fan,Which matches the actual card In in box.The actual card's label says "9600" (no PRO or XT),and the small UPC label on bottom of box says 9600 XT DG 128MB AGP .The Collateral kit with cd's/instructions says 9600 XT also,with ATI Catalyst software ver. 180-v01085-100,Pinnacle studio ATI version 180-G3D051-800,and Matchware mediator 7 .Also the Anti-Static bag wasn't sealed,And The I/O cables are all here,But all in all,Looks legit!(The seller had exellent ratings) So now need a computer,I found exellent pics and reviews on www.FiringSquad.com,they mentioned a "tight fit" on small slot or compact comp. cases vs. a tower case.Looked at some good deals on Geeks.com but am wondering if compact form case is too tight for AIW Card + sound card + 2nd hard drive?Also if VGA output on AIW card will support VGA input on my Sanyo 42" Flat panel tv?Also what brand and interface type of sound card?:)

kpmedia 07-04-2011 03:54 AM

I would not use a compact case. It may fit, but it may not. There's really not a specific measurement on what can or cannot be decried as being a "compact" size. A friend of mine barely squeezed a card into a compact Dell refurb system last year, while somebody else I knew ended up having to leave the side of the case off because something did not fit. (Some cases don't assemble in a manner by which you can simply leave a cover open, so he got lucky.)

VGA is VGA. Just use a good "high bandwidth" or "high resolution" cable to achieve HD graphics output. Cheap and/or old VGA cables are noisy and blurry. Here's a supposedly high-res cable for $5 + free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000067SMH

rocko 07-04-2011 09:16 PM

Thanx for reply,And Happy 4th of July! ..A few questions regarding the above mentioned AIW 9600 XT/PRO I Recieved;

(1) Will That card support My Flat Panel TV's 1920x1080 res?.,(I Use it for monitor).
(2) Do I use the ATI VGA-to-YCBR component adaptor?(Card output is VGA),or is there a way to connect VGA to HDMI?
(3) Is the supplied ATI Software cd all I need to install ? (MMC Catalyst ver. 180-v01085-100)
(4) what brand/type/interface audio card?
(5)what is good computer specs to look for (RAM/SPEED/HD size,Ect...) I,m planning to purchase a refurbished AGP unit that's ready to go,either local, or from one of the places that you guys have suggested. A quick local search in person this Saturday was Used, Dirty,and Scary!(Stickers and Stuff!) It seems that refurb is the best way to go!??? Thank You!

admin 07-05-2011 08:05 AM

Question 1:

ATI cards go to at least 1650x1080 over DVI. Never tried 1920x1080.

My HDTV has a VGA connection. See if yours does (read the manual, maybe).
If not, then you'll need some sort of VGA>HDMI adapter.

Expect to pay about $40 for a VGA-to-HDMI adapter that does only 720p: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0016SN49Y
At least $75 for a VGA-to-HDMI 1080p adapter that's low quality: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002FJLEP4
Or $150+ for a high quality VGA-to-HDMI adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
All should include both VGA+audio to HDMI, not carry just video signal.

Don't forget to get an HDMI cable. Buy online for the best deal.
http://www.supermediastore.com/product/search?search=hdmi+cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957

Note: People used to suggest Monoprice.com for cheap HDMI cables, but SMS and Amazon are now less expensive.
The last 3 cables I bought came from SMS, as the price (including shipping) was better. Cable work perfectly.

Question 2:

I don't recall every seeing an ATI component output -- only composite and s-video.

Question 3:

Yes.

Question 4:

A Creative Sound Blaster card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
Several good deals from Amazon, from $30 shipped.

Or the Turtle Beach cards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
Also from $30 from Amazon, though many are now used, as TB makes very few cards these days.
The Turtle Beach Riviera is the current model.
Historically, some 5+ years ago, the Turtle Beach cards sounded better and had better clock sync to the ATI card.

Question 5:

Any Intel Pentium 4 computer with at least 2.0Ghz, or AMD Athlon with 2500+ or more, is perfect fine for the AGP model. There are even some dual-core options available, for AGP board. For the PCIe (PCI express bus) board, pretty much anything that you want may work. I suggest sticking to systems of that era, just to be safe, so you'd be looking at Intel dual core systems.

USE WINDOWS XP -- that's really the most important aspect.

What sort of budget do you have? I can help you find a perfect computer online.
And confirm that you have the AGP slot card.

rocko 07-05-2011 11:02 PM

Yes, my HDTV has a VGA input, sounds like easiest route to go,my question is if VGA on HDTV will give me good enough picture for judging capture results?(All captures will be from home VHS Tapes, -Mitsu D-VHSw/TBC -AVT8710 -AIW9600XT with VGA out to HDTV.) My budget is about $200 (or less) for a computer. In another post it was advised to stick with a single core Pentium or similar processor.I did find a IBM Think Center M50 Refurb at ComputerGeeks.com for 90.00 (or even "Name your Price"),with Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 865G Chipset,800FSB,1MB L2 cache,Intel hyper threadng tech.,1GB DDR RAM, 40GB hard drive,(NO Operating System)but has AGP and PCI 230 -watt Power supply,2 sata ports (good for adding 2nd "capture drive).Do You think that,s a good one?Is 40Gigs too small for XP OS? Plus AIW software&drivers,Sound card drivers,Ect..Ect..Or can I find a bigger drive with XP pre-loaded? I have a wireless Keyboard&mouse so no kvm needed! Just select VGA input on TV,and plug wireless usb dongle in! Any of your suggestions also would be most welcome,Maybe a computer with XP pre loaded would be easier for me?,Time-wise,many hours have already been spent on trial and error,cheap and lazy! But now I've finally surrendered to the thought that I Really Can Do This the Digital FAQ way!(Just got into computers a few years ago!)But have been tweaking with wires and audio gear "n" stuff for years now!So adding a few things to a computer that's almost AIW card ready is OK. Thanks

kpmedia 07-06-2011 04:04 AM

It sounds fine to me. You can install your own Windows XP copy. Even with several programs, you'll likely use less than 20GB of space on the main drive. Keep all the video on a secondary hard drive, and a SATA drive connection would be excellent.

ComputerGeeks.com = Geeks.com
(If you use our links, Geeks share a tiny % of the profit with us, which helps to support this site.)

I don't see that exact system there (may already be sold out?), but I see others.

For example, this one: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...&CJPID=3235990
- Pentium 4 3.4GHz Geek Kit™w/Case, 400W PSU,
- MSI MB, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, DVD±RW,
- Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers & More!
- Your Price: $169.99 (almost gone!)

These types "old" and "unwanted" computers make for perfect capturing boxes. :)

rocko 07-06-2011 11:05 PM

Geeks.com page has a "geekline NEW!" tab,Click on it and behold! theres stuff you can submit a reasonable bid on! There's the IBM (Lenovo?) ThinkCentre M 50 . They turned down my bid of 59.00,so I'm going to try again. The only thing that Bothers me is the 230 watt power supply,Does anyone Know the Minimum Power requirements for AIW9600XT? I also need to know where to find Win XP pro Copy,and then how to install it.(After searching around ,I found several different versions of this M 50, Most all had XP PRO Installed or, Sellers on E bay had some with XP with bigger drives and a bunch of extra programs and stuff added.But I think the pentium 4, and Intell parts on this machine are perfect for the 9600 card!

rocko 07-07-2011 01:03 AM

Post#2 today:Google search Found IBM Thinkcentre M 50's all over the place with XP pre-installed,from $300 to $120 but the lower cost ones said "XP license only",.(I guess means no disc?). All had various RAM & Speed Specs ,Most all had that 40Gig HD,230w Power supply,and Intel P-4 & MOB? And it looks like most are from that 2002 to 2005 era,And according to "LENOVO" website,Also looks like there's a lot of different models within the Thinkcentre line-up.(M 50-8189-58U) and so on.But any other suggestions from you are welcome.Need a system with XP pre-installed,with agp of course,and I think the AIW 9600XT was optimized for Intel P4 and Intel MOB (at the time it was made anyway) Also was wondering why sound card is required?

admin 07-07-2011 12:25 PM

230W is far too weenie for a decent capturing system. The minimum is generally 300W to support the ATI graphics + video card, audio card, a DVD burner and two hard drives. 350W-400W is better.

Windows XP is not really available for sale new that I know of off-hand. You may need to ask around, and see if friends/family have any copies. I know that "free" copies of XP are readily found online (torrents, etc), though I don't want to really support that method of acquisition. However, as more time passes, I'm afraid that may be the only way for somebody to quickly get a copy of Windows XP. I know that a lot of the cheap copies sold on no-name online stores or eBay are just the ill-gotten downloads ("fale" copies) resold by unscrupulous individuals. Many of them are in China. I don't really know what to advise here.

Just keep looking at what's available on Geeks.com -- that's your best bet.

NJRoadfan 07-07-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by admin (Post 16492)
Windows XP is not really available for sale new that I know of off-hand. You may need to ask around, and see if friends/family have any copies.

If the machine came with an OEM copy of Windows XP (should have the sticker with product name/type and key on the case), you have a legal OEM copy. The license stays with the machine. One just needs to find an OEM copy of XP Pro or Home depending on what the machine originally shipped with.

rocko 07-10-2011 05:41 PM

Does anybody have any suggestions on which Brand/Model # Refurb computers I can search for?The IBM think center M-50 would have worked,but I was told the 230W power supply is "custom" and can't be upgraded,Also the instructions for the AIW Card say that for non-Intel Chip based MOB's, You must install a custom "Virtual GART (AGP)" driver before installing your AIW card.So I was hoping to find a system with Intel/AGP to make things a little "easier"? (Uh-Oh!, there's that e-a-s-y word again!):eek:

rocko 07-10-2011 07:17 PM

Post # 2 today: Maybe the power supply can be upgraded on the IBM M-50,Or can it get tricky?I think the m-50 is a tower ,but the p/s is a physically a small one? The unit for sale at geeks.com is Thinkcenter M-50 8189-58U.

admin 07-10-2011 08:08 PM

Compaq and HP generally use off-the-shelf type parts, though it depends on specific model. Dell, Sony and IBM of that era were infamous for using proprietary custom parts (like the power supply) that caused a buyer boondoggle for them. That's a main reason those systems all come with off-the-shelf parts now. The attempts to force customers to buy overpriced replacements only from them was an utter failure.

If the PSU is known to be proprietary, run.

Honestly, I think building your own system is the best course of action. Get a good motherboard, good CPU, good PSU with a standard case, some RAM, a hard drive, and then hunt down a copy of Windows. I would not buy a used computer off eBay or the likes, because more used computers are filthy. Not sanitary, even! The refurbs are a good choice, when available.

Top store choices for this kind of gear includes Geeks.com, Tigerdirect.com, Directron.com and Microcenter.com
None of them seem to have anything AGP + Windows XP right this minute.

rocko 07-10-2011 09:13 PM

Thanks,Looks like the Geek Kits at Geeks.com are the way to go,as was suggested by admin awhile ago!:)

lordsmurf 07-11-2011 09:35 AM

I don't know that I'd suggest "kits" as much as I'd just buy all the right parts:
  • Case + PSU (maybe together, maybe separate)
  • CPU
  • motherboard
  • RAM
  • hard drive(s)
Most motherboard will have USB2, 10/100 networking, etc.

You missed out on the computer gear being sold by Site Staff here in May/June. (More may be available in a few months, but not anytime soon. I do know kpmedia has some internal TBCs for sale! So that may be worthwhile, if budget allows.) From time to time, some excellent hardware and software trades hands between members for moderate pricing.

rocko 07-13-2011 02:59 AM

:)(1)Hello,my name is Jim... and I am a Quick&Easy-Aholic...Before joining D.F.A.Q. anonymous,I was stumbling thru Best Buy and spending Hundreds of Dollars on VHS to DVD Recorders,Easy VHS Creators,and Fancy Win 7 Systems,...All which led in time to pitiful and un-watchable transfers,(Moving Mountains,Jiggly Lines and Weird Halucionations)..THAT WERE NOT ON ORIGINAL TAPE!!!...........I was Truly Hitting Rock-Bottom!!!...(2)This site reminds me of Substance Abuse Recovery programs...But for Video Recovery Instead!!!!:) (3)Well The Fog Has Lifted, and after 2 years of DENIAL ,I finally have accepted the fact that I have to BUILD MY OWN SYSTEM TO MATCH THIS BEAUTIFUL LITTLE 9600XT CARD Sitting here from Ebay!!!(GOT THE CARD,DriverCD,CABLES&ALL!!!)(4)All Kidding Aside,Thanks Lord Smurf for Your Input ,Now I Need a sort of"Cheat Sheet" on Specific Terms to SHOP FOR:A Shopping List if you will,customized for a novice Like Me,(MOB Brand,model with AGP,Min Chipset,Min Memory,Min.Power supply,Windows XP HOME,or PRO? (Media Edition Bad news)!!!...INtel pentium 4/2/3/ Sempron? Single Core?,1GIG RAM GOOD? (5) GOOD SYS SPECS FOR AIW 9600 CARD?

lordsmurf 07-14-2011 11:48 PM

In unison: "Hi, Jim!" :)

This computer may work perfectly for you: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...40&PID=3235990
Another ATI user recommends and uses it. Read starting here: http://www.tvpreservation.com/forum/...html#post55960

Or you can go the DIY build-a-bear computer method. That's what I do.