Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-16-2021, 08:18 PM
Free Member

I've always been against the use of video extension cords, fearing that it would affect the video quality adversely. However, I've been noticing the constant cable-switching on my Datavideo TBC-1000 is starting to weaken the physical durability on the front (especially with S-Video).

What are your thoughts on keeping cable extensions hanging from the front? That way, I can just swap cables without having to unplug and replug straight into the TBC. How about audio cables?

I know video splitters/switchers harm the video quality to a minor degree, but I'm super picky on my attention to detail. Thoughts on cable extensions?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-16-2021, 08:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestarswitcher View Post
I've always been against the use of video extension cords, fearing that it would affect the video quality adversely.
Same here.

But it's not just fear, but actuality. Extensions often do cause problems.

However...

Quote:
However, I've been noticing the constant cable-switching on my Datavideo TBC-1000 is starting to weaken the physical durability on the front (especially with S-Video).
What are your thoughts on keeping cable extensions hanging from the front? That way, I can just swap cables without having to unplug and replug straight into the TBC. How about audio cables?
I know video splitters/switchers harm the video quality to a minor degree, but I'm super picky on my attention to detail. Thoughts on cable extensions?
The TBC-1000 is not a perfect TBC. One of the major fail points is the front input panel. This plastic piece is a common fail point, and isn't easy to repair. I do have methods, after much trial and error, and many of my refurb units have my modifications in place. Both for a repair, and to be outright preventative. There are other issues with the TBC-1000 input block, but that's a longer conversation for another time.

But it's not just the TBC-1000. Certain JVC VCRs have similar issues with weaker solder joints. My 9800 broke about 10 years ago, due to constant push/pull from rewiring the workflow. It was not a cheap fix, about $300 at the time. The entire deck had to be gutted to fix both side of the mainboard, time consuming work.

After that, I got some short s-video extensions from Monoprice. Good gauge coax s-video cables, good shielding, no problems. And I've been using those ever since. Sadly, I don't think Monoprice sell those anymore. So when you find some, let me kow, I actually need to buy myself another couple of pair.

Few TBCs, the ones that accept consumer sources, have robust s-video that can handle constant in/out. The TBC-3000 is one of them, but you must be very careful with the headers. A big fat and tight s-video header will still screw that unit up. The lean s-video connections, which glide in and out, do not put pressure on the mainboard.

Anyway, your logic is good, your plan is sound.

I do it, you can too. Just test the extensions carefully, for no bad side effects.

I've actually mentioned this many times in the forums in the past 10+ years.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-16-2021, 08:39 PM
Free Member

To save wear to the connectors on you gear, use the shortest s-video cable (SVC) cable (SVC) you can find connected to the gear and barrel connectors (BC) to provide the links between the gear usign a s-video cable of the needed length (SVC2). Keep all cables as short as you can. Don't buy the cheapest cables and the most expensive are a waste of money. All connects and disconnects will happen with SVC2 saving wear on the gear connectors.

Audio connections (RCA plugs/jacks) are not as fragile as s-video but still can be damaged by frequent use, so a similar arrangement can help preserve them as well.

E.G.,
gear -> SVC -> BC -> SVC2 -> BC -> SVC -> gear

IMO High end cables may be of some value if you operate in an electrically noisy environment, but most people do not. A passive 4-in/1-out switcher with s-video and audio might prove sufficient for you, although purists would argue that point. It becomes a question of whether or not you can see (or hear) a difference.
08-16-2021, 08:42 PM
Site Staff | Video

I've never seen a switcher (or distribution amp, etc), not even "professional" ones, that didn't leak noise in to the signal. Both audio and video.

08-16-2021, 09:03 PM
Free Member

Mechanical switches do have some level of cross talk, especially for signals in the RF range. A mitigation is to turn off the sources that are not being used so there is nothing to cross talk.

Random noise pickup would be subject to how noisy the environment is and the routing and condition of the cables. Shorter is generally better. Ground loops are a potential issue with multiple gear connections. The issue becomes whether or not it works in the users environment to their satisfaction. Increasing the noise floor of a signal by 0.1 dB can be measured, but can it be heard or seen?
08-16-2021, 09:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Same here.
This plastic piece is a common fail point, and isn't easy to repair. I do have methods, after much trial and error, and many of my refurb units have my modifications in place. Both for a repair, and to be outright preventative. There are other issues with the TBC-1000 input block, but that's a longer conversation for another time.
Do we know if there's a way to make the input panel solid as a rock? Perhaps hot glue around the edges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Same here.
Anyway, your logic is good, your plan is sound.
Thanks!!

Each VCR I own has their own cable plugged into them so they never get moved, it's always the TBC that gets switched around (PAL to NTSC decks, etc)..

Monoprice has these ones https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=591 , but they're also 12 feet. Do we know if there will be any effects?

Here's another question- we know the TBC-1000 has 4 outputs at the back. Would it make sense to have 2 cables going to their respective capture cards whenever in use (PAL & NTSC), or would I have to make sure the TBC only has 1 dedicated output? Does this make sense..?
08-16-2021, 09:21 PM
Free Member

A potential source of short s-video cables. I have no idea if they are reasonable quality.
https://www.showmecables.com/by-cate...SAAEgIONfD_BwE
08-16-2021, 11:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

No, 12 ft is way too long. Mine are 2 ft, and I wish these were shorter.

08-17-2021, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

I've bought a number of cables and barrels from https://www.svideo.com/. The quality seems to be acceptable, in that they don't seem to be cheaply made. I'm not able to judge their performance though with my untrained eyes.
08-17-2021, 10:24 AM
Free Member

LordSmurf, you wanna try one of those out and see if it passes your tests? ^^

Tags
cable extensions, cables, capture, gear protection, longevity