11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Free Member

I have the following...

JVC SRV10U ---- TBC1000 ---- Elite Video BVP-4 ---- Vidicraft III ---- JVC DRM-10

My question is how best to connect the units. I thought connecting via S-Video from the source to the TBC, then S-Video from the TBC to the BVP, but then I'm confused on what I should do from the BVP-4 to the Vidicraft (or should I use this?). The Vidicraft has composite connections ONLY, and I've read the BVP-4 may not like the transfer from S-video to Composite? Is this true? My original VHS tapes are in relatively good shape, but I may need the additional help of the Vidicraft in places. I understand it should make things a little more crisp looking, but I have to be careful. Then from the Vidicraft to the DRM-10 I have to use Composite again? Is there any option to keeping the S-video all the way thru the workflow? Oh, and what brand S-Video cable should I get?

Thanks in advance! I'm finally ready to start this project! Thought I was NEVER going to snag a DRM-10, but it finally happened... and it's new in the box!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
JVC SRV10U ---- TBC1000 ---- Elite Video BVP-4 ---- Vidicraft III ---- JVC DRM-10
This is the workflow chain you want, in theory.
But given weakness of the BVP-4 composite output, it may need to be VCR > TBC > detailer > proc amp > DVD recorder

Quote:
My question is how best to connect the units. I thought connecting via S-Video from the source to the TBC, then S-Video from the TBC to the BVP,
For best quality, you really want s-video as much as possible. Rarely is composite a better choice, though it can happen. Much of this depends on the tape (or more directly, the recording quality of the camera/VCR that made it), the format (VHS, Laserdisc, etc), and the quality of the comb filter in the player. The JVC S-VHS VCRs are excellent at handling low-noise or no-noise s-video output.

Quote:
but then I'm confused on what I should do from the BVP-4 to the Vidicraft (or should I use this?). The Vidicraft has composite connections ONLY, and I've read the BVP-4 may not like the transfer from S-video to Composite? Is this true?
It's much worse than "not liking" the composite -- it tends to outright butcher the signal. The composite input to an Elite Video BVP-4 Plus is fine. It's the output that will flicker or go berzerk. It's a flaw of the chipset, as best as I can tell. Quality of the error varies from unit to unit. In this room where I'm sitting now, for example, it's much worse on the secondary unit, as opposed to the primary. The secondary unit can never be used on a composite workflow.

Quote:
My original VHS tapes are in relatively good shape, but I may need the additional help of the Vidicraft in places. I understand it should make things a little more crisp looking, but I have to be careful.
If the videos are very high quality and SP mode, yes, it can add some crispness. The video will more closely resemble the "DVD look" (720x480) as opposed to a software VHS quality.

Quote:
Then from the Vidicraft to the DRM-10 I have to use Composite again? Is there any option to keeping the S-video all the way thru the workflow?
This specific workflow is hard to deal with. Ideally you want an s-video detailer. Or bypass the proc amp and use a composite workflow with the detailer in the chain. Or reverse the chain. Another option is to use yet another VCR, to get a roundabout chain:

VCR > TBC > proc amp > extra/dummy VCR > detailer > DVD recorder
The second VCR acts as the s-video>composite converter.

Or VCR > TBC > detailer > extra VCR > proc amp > DVD recorder

The most important aspect is VCR > TBC > whatever else > recorder device
There's some give.

Quote:
Oh, and what brand S-Video cable should I get?
It doesn't really matter. Simply look for a cable that is not too tight, which can mess up the s-video in/out on your devices. I believe this is why at least one VCR here is screwed up -- the cable tried to meld with the port instead of just fit in the slot. As such, every in/out action slowly ruined the port to the point where it has to now be repaired or replaced. All for a cheap s-video cable.

Quote:
Thanks in advance! I'm finally ready to start this project! Thought I was NEVER going to snag a DRM-10, but it finally happened... and it's new in the box!
Nice find.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: cc4npg (11-15-2011)
11-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Free Member

I bought two JVC SRV10U's. So will it be better to have this as a dummy vcr in the mix between the BVP-4 and the detailer? Or would it be best to reverse them and have the detailer first, then do the composite to the BVP-4 and then S-video to the dvd recorder? I notice you have the dummy vcr in the mix on both workflow's, so I can only assume I really need to have this in the mix regardless. Taking into consideration your comment that the proc amp usually does fine accepting composite IN and S-video OUT, I wanted to clarify the necessity if I have the proc amp at the end of the workflow.

I suppose I could run a test and record using various workflows to see if my proc amp is like your primary or secondary unit, and then use whichever yields the better outcome.
11-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
JVC VCR > svideo > TBC > svideo > proc amp > svideo > another JVC VCR > composite > detailer > composite > DVD recorder

Do that.

Quality should be excellent that way, given the equipment in the workflow.
Several DVD recorders are known for quality switchover, too -- the RCA DRC-8030N, for example, should an extra VCR not be available.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: cc4npg (11-15-2011)
11-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Free Member

Thank you so much for your help! Thank you for this website!! Will let you know how it goes as I'm certain I'll have additional questions along the way. Have a blessed, safe and Happy Turkey Day!