Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The problem with this approach is that EDIT doesn't always provide the cleanest image quality, which is the main reason to own a JVC S-VHS VCR. In fact, you generally should keep it in NORM (never AUTO, as that means Calibration is on, which is bad). Never SHARP, rarely SOFT. Chroma noise will especially disappear when the TBC is engaged, and NR is set to NORM. And the removal of chroma noise is very desirable to do in hardware, as software is largely unable to process this noise out effectively.
I did some small videos test using metaleonid and lordsmurf suggestion. I wondering if I post some pictures if it can help or I need to post the videos? The aim was to test my JVC HR-S7600EK. Since I still don't have my set-up hardware for my X600pro card, I used the canopus ACDV-300 with filters (3D and 2D off).

This test bring me one question. I was able to play with "speudo filters" via CANOPUS to correct saturation, brightness, contrast etc. Since JVC VCR filters are only on/off switch, what would be the equivalent CANOPUS filters in my X600 pro set-up?
Do I need to find a rare VERY RARE PAL pro amps or image enhancer?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post
You don't understand. From losslessly compressed AVI you can restore the full information. I.e. you can recreate the uncompressed AVI without loss of any information. From DV you can create uncompressed AVI but with loss of the information that was thrown out when the file was compressed to DV.
"Lossless" is essentially a type of compression that does not discard content data.

The math is simplified/wrong/butchered, but this is a great way to illustrate it:
  • Lossless: 2+2+3+2+4+4+4+4+5+4+4+5+4+4+4 = (2x3)+3+(4x9)+(5x2) .... See how much smaller the equation is?
  • Lossy: 2+2+3+2+4+4+4+4+5+4+4+5+4+4+4 = (2x4)+(4x11) .... It's much smaller, but some numbers were rounded (data lost/changed).
Transcoding works the same way.
When you get down to it, video encoding is nothing more than complex math equations.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: Mejnour (01-13-2012)
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
I used the canopus ACDV-300 with filters (3D and 2D off).
3d noise reduction filter strong? Be careful with it by the way. It does filter out VHS noise, but you might notice some artifacts during scene changes. Load the footage into VirtualDub and find the scene change. Observe the end frame of the old scene and the new frame of the new scene. These 2 frames are next to each other.
The following users thank metaleonid for this useful post: Mejnour (01-13-2012)
01-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Free Member

Concerning my last post,
Reading again about TBC It is specified that full frame TBC like AVT-8710 act just to purify the signal quality. Do it mean that video Adjustments: Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint (NTSC) and Sharpness are useless on this device?

I mean they cannot do the job of pros amp and image enhancer (signvideo)?
01-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
Concerning my last post, Reading again about TBC It is specified that full frame TBC like AVT-8710 act just to purify the signal quality. Do it mean that video Adjustments: Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint (NTSC) and Sharpness are useless on this device? I mean they cannot do the job of pros amp and image enhancer (signvideo)?
Useless? No, not entirely.
The AVT-8710/CTB-100 proc amp abilities are maybe 10% of a real TBC. If you only need a mild little tweak, it will work.

Of course, you generally need more than a mild little tweak, when the source is problematic enough to merit work. Also, colors can meander and change over the course of the workflow, when VHS source is involved. It has to be interpreted and mutates a bit as it's passed through capture hardware and filter hardware. That's one reason 4:1:1 DV is so harmful to NTSC video, because it obliterates half of the color data immediately. Minor little tweaks tend to get lost between the proc amp and the final video. Nuanced color work is best left for the software editor (NLE), just prior to mezzanine archiving, which serves as the source for distribution encoding.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I've moved the ATI All In Wonder vs ATI 600/650 question here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-cards.html
Continue there. Thanks.
Remember to try and keep unique questions is separate forum threads.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!