Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Free Member

Hi again,

realizing that eventually I may be asked for my project to convert PAL to NTSC, should I apply the same logic as for filters i.e. do it before the capture with a converter

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Leave it as PAL. Those converters do a pretty lousy job at PAL<>NTSC conversions. Such a conversion in real time isn't easy to do "good", thats why Snell and Wilcox Alchemist standards converters go for six figures. Convert to NTSC right before compression for your target media (eg: DVD).
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: kpmedia (01-16-2012), Mejnour (01-13-2012)
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mejnour View Post
Hi again,

realizing that eventually I may be asked for my project to convert PAL to NTSC, should I apply the same logic as for filters i.e. do it before the capture with a converter

Thanks
You do filters before capture because you capture in lossy DV. Otherwise you would've done capture -> filters -> PAL to NTSC. Now that you need to do conversion, you either do:
filters -> capture -> PAL to NTSC
or
capture -> filters -> PAL to NTSC.

Try both and see which one you like better.

Do not do PAL to NTSC prior to capture.

--Leonid
The following users thank metaleonid for this useful post: Mejnour (01-13-2012)
01-16-2012, 03:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Correct:
Hardware filters > capture > PAL to NTSC conversion
Capture > software filters > PAL to NTSC conversion

Or better yet:
Hardware filters > capture > software filters > PAL to NTSC conversion

In fact, you can often leaves PAL as PAL and NTSC as NTSC. The reasons to convert disappear more and more each years.
Many NTSC players now play PAL, because of universal manufacturing practices.
PAL players always played PAL as PAL-60.
Streaming videos are format agnostic, no comprehension of "PAL" or "NTSC".
In fact, all digital video is now standardized luma/chroma, with only framerate determining format. The analog era is gone.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.