Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Free Member

Hi,

Just joined! I'm looking for advice on putting my old vhs tapes and some old Disney tapes on my computer.
There's so much info out there... way too confusing... figured I would join to get accurate info for me.
One thread I read said to go back to the tape... my tapes are all in pretty good shape... old (early 90's), a couple may have flickering (not sure that's the right term)... there are horizontal lines running up the screen.
The only vcr I have is a sony slv n700.. just a basic vcr.
Budget is low range = $200
Computer is Dell d630 windows xp and an Imac 2.4gh intel core duo mac osx 10.5
I don't even know where to begin.... which computer would be better to use?
Do I need to upgrade my memory or software?
I do have a time machine for backups.
Should I be looking at getting a converter? advc110 or 300 seems to be mentioned alot.
Time based converter? Will that allow me to edit the flickering?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Free Member

A lot of answers here below.
The following users thank Mejnour for this useful post: kd19 (02-10-2012)
02-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd19 View Post
Hi, Just joined!
Welcome! And thanks for becoming a Premium Member.

Quote:
I'm looking for advice on putting my old vhs tapes and some old Disney tapes on my computer.
There's so much info out there... way too confusing... figured I would join to get accurate info for me.
Very understandable. So let's see what I can do to help un-confuse this process for you...

Quote:
One thread I read said to go back to the tape... my tapes are all in pretty good shape... old (early 90's), a couple may have flickering (not sure that's the right term)... there are horizontal lines running up the screen. The only vcr I have is a sony slv n700.. just a basic vcr.
What you've observed is most likely due to the VCR being a cheap consumer grade VCR. The VCR is the primary fail point, when it comes to tape quality. Ideally, you'd want to upgrade to one of the VCRs suggested for converting tapes: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html. Most of these VCRs have average prices in the $200-400 range, for a well-maintained quality unit. All high-end VCRs are used now -- there's nothing new available in stores. (What is found in store is pathetic, and you don't want those.)

Quote:
Budget is low range = $200
Tape conversion workflows generally require three main pieces:
  1. The VCR, to play the tape at the best possible quality, to extract as much video signal off the tape as possible, while not also creating noise in the process.
  2. A device to remove signal errors that prevent the digital conversion process -- aka, an external TBC.
    More on that topic here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html. These are often in the $200+ range.
  3. A quality digital conversion device, be it a good standalone DVD recorder (a good one! not just any old "name brand" junk), or a good computer capture card. A good card is usually $50-100 used; most new cards are not good for VHS-to-DVD work.
Quote:
Computer is Dell d630 windows xp and an Imac 2.4gh intel core duo mac osx 10..
I don't even know where to begin.... which computer would be better to use?
The Windows machine. Macs are weak in many areas, and video capturing is one of them. Trying to capture video with a Mac is like trying to walk a cat on a leash. It may happen, but it's going to be a huge ordeal to get that far.

Quote:
Do I need to upgrade my memory or software?
How much RAM does it have? (Memory)
How much disk space does it have? (Not memory, but some people still call disk space "memory".)

Quote:
Should I be looking at getting a converter? advc110 or 300 seems to be mentioned alot.
This isn't a very good device. It's massively overpriced for what little it actually does for you. If you search the forum for information on the Canopus ADVC, you'll find extremely detailed answers on why these converters are far from ideal for converting VHS to DVD.

Quote:
Time based converter? Will that allow me to edit the flickering?
TBC = time base corrector. It doesn't convert anything. Both a TBC and a better VCR will work to remove the various flaws and errors you see in your video. Flickering will most likely be removed.

Quote:
Any help is appreciated.
Another option is to buy the Disney movies/shows you want on DVD -- the retail DVDs will look much better than the VHS tapes you have converted to DVD with a homemade method. Consider even buying used Disney movies from Amazon.com or eBay.

Quote:
Thanks!
Glad to help. And we'll keep going for as long as it takes to help you get the project moving.

Since I think some other non-Premium members may have some good input for you, I'm moving this to the video project workflows sub-forum.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: kd19 (02-10-2012)
02-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This would be an excellent ~$125 investment: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...-jvc-mv1s.html

The VCR half of the machine is worthless, but the DVD recorder is perfect.
Just plug an external VCR into a TBC, and the TBC into the DVD recorder, and you'll get DVDs that look better than the tapes did!

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Free Member

Is this still available? My Dell has 4gb.... Also, suggestions on a TBC and where to get one? Thanks for your reply....exactly what I was looking for!
02-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Assuming you're referring to the DVD recorder, go ask the seller: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...-jvc-mv1s.html
He/she probably still has it, since it's not shown as sold.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: kd19 (02-10-2012)
02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Free Member

This is a great website!
The following users thank kd19 for this useful post: kpmedia (02-10-2012), lordsmurf (02-10-2012)