Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Free Member

I feel so completely dumb right now. I didn't want to post this question because I know it's something simple, but I'm done trying to figure it out myself.

I have the following connected in this way...

Source vcr s-video out----->s-video in TBC1000 (I have white/red component going from source vcr to tv-sound works)----->s-video out TBC---s-video in BVP4 ----->s-video out BVP4------>s-video in 2nd vcr ----->Component out 2nd vcr------>Component in Detailer III ----->Component out Detailer ---->Component in dvd recorder----->s-video out dvd recorder---->s-video in TV

Ok, so what's wrong? I have both vcr's on L 1. I can hear the sound (but that's clear why because the red/white audio go from the source vcr to back of tv), but no picture. Do I need to hook up another s-video from the source vcr to tv? Do I omit the s-video from the dvd recorder to the tv? It's been months since I had this set up and I'm frustrated. I thought it was hooked up like I have above, all chained together ending with the video to tv. The dvd recorder seems to be the only thing the tv "sees". Everything is on.. don't see any split screen for the bvp or detailer (both have that option).

Update: I meant composite above, not component. And I've figured out I need to run the audio (white/red) to the dvd recorder and bypass the rest. I'm going to have to check my cables I think. I know when I hooked everything up, one of the s video connections was a BEAR to get in.

Update: I unhooked the video from that second vcr and, although I know the bvp4 hates it, I took composite from it to the detailer. Voila, I had a picture. No sound, but a picture. So the issue lies with the second vcr, which works, but maybe I have no clue how a "pass-through" works. And sound... I thought I had figured out I needed to take the audio directly from source vcr to ending dvd but that's not working. Thank you to whomever can set me straight. I clearly don't know what I'm doing with the connections and I feel like such an idiot. But, I can tell you I won't forget how to do it again after I figure out my mistake cuz I'm gonna write it down AND take pics!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Free Member

Hmm.. I wonder if the reason no one has responded is because my setup should work? The main reason I have that second JVC vcr in there is because I wanted to have the digicraft detailer III for more options in the mix and the BVP4 doesn't like to go from s-video to composite. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. The only other thing I may try is switching the two vcr's around, but I don't know why that would work.. they're identical.
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
What are the models of VCRs that are being used?

Also note this on reply times: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...-regulars.html
Critical maintenance to equipment eating into staff time.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Free Member

JVC SRV10U

I turn them both on, have both on L1, both connected the same way. I cannot figure out why, when I have everything hooked up, it only picks up the equipment from the second vcr on to the tv. It's strange and I keep thinking I must have a setting wrong someplace? Also, please correct me on where the audio connection should be going from the source to ?

Thank you for helping me. I know some things are hard to diagnosis without seeing them in person.
03-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
one of the s video connections was a BEAR to get in.
That's not good. Try another cable that it's overly tight.
Otherwise you'll screw up the s-video port on the VCR, and it'll cost about $125 to fix it. That happened to one of our decks.

Your setup should work.
Did you remember to change the s-video/composite option in the JVC menus?

The input/output ports are not all always active. These are controlled through the menu.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!