Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Free Member

Hi Lordsmurf,

Not sure if you remember me but been a long time. Have a question for you I would like some insight on.

In a few months I will be building an i7 workstation for my video and audio work. Currently right now I have the Sony SLV-R1000 SVHS deck that I've had for almost 10 years and still works well to this day.

I would like to know if there would be some other equipment I would need to make the best transfers I can from the VHS and SVHS tapes. I'm sure a TBC would be ideal for starters. Would you have some ideas on other equipment that may be necessary? I know I will have to look into some good monitors I can use in a dual monitor setup that's color accurate as possible.

Thanks!

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Not sure if you remember me but been a long time. Have a question for you I would like some insight on.
I do remember you, and I'll be glad to help as always.

Quote:
In a few months I will be building an i7 workstation for my video and audio work. Currently right now I have the Sony SLV-R1000 SVHS deck that I've had for almost 10 years and still works well to this day.
Nice VCR, nice CPU. Looking good so far...

Quote:
I would like to know if there would be some other equipment I would need to make the best transfers I can from the VHS and SVHS tapes. I'm sure a TBC would be ideal for starters. Would you have some ideas on other equipment that may be necessary? I know I will have to look into some good monitors I can use in a dual monitor setup that's color accurate as possible.
Quite a bit of this has been covered here lately.

You know me from my heavy VH days, but I spend most of my time at dFAQ now. If you've not been here in the past year or two, you're missing out on some great information.

A full run-down on TBCs is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

Mejnour and Erik have been asking a lot of questions lately about good monitors and calibration.
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ggestions.html
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ost-audio.html (scroll to post #12)
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ty-vhs-dv.html
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...hs-family.html

Look at a lot of posts from the past 30 days: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/sear...tdaily&days=30

In terms of a brief overview of other equipment, see this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-transfer.html
I did a brief rundown of hardware worth considering.

If you need anything else, just post here on the forum.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Free Member

Hi LS,

Thanks for the reply! Granted I never knew you had your own forum until I gotten your reply. I known from the past that you knew your stuff when it came to video restoration. I managed to make my username here so that I could reply.

I'll have a look at the links you provided and read up on the info that I've missed out on (and quite alot too). Haven't been on any forum in quite a long time so lots of catching up to do. Thanks again, i'll try to post here more often when i can!
02-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Granted I never knew you had your own forum until I gotten your reply.
The forum was added to the site in February 2004.

Quote:
I known from the past that you knew your stuff when it came to video restoration.
Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
I'll have a look at the links you provided and read up on the info that I've missed out on (and quite alot too).
Haven't been on any forum in quite a long time so lots of catching up to do.
Not a lot has changed in the past 6 or so years, in terms of the "good" technology that you'll want to be using. So you probably won't have to re-learn or forget anything. Just try to recall what you once new, and then start adding to that knowledge. I remember we occupied the same space at VH some years and years ago, but I don't remember on what topics or anything else now. Surely we interacted in posts.

Quote:
i'll try to post here more often when i can!
Please do!

It's always nice to have experienced posters here. There's several valued members at this site, and I'd like to add you to that list.

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The forum was added to the site in February 2004.

Thanks for the compliment.

Not a lot has changed in the past 6 or so years, in terms of the "good" technology that you'll want to be using. So you probably won't have to re-learn or forget anything. Just try to recall what you once new, and then start adding to that knowledge. I remember we occupied the same space at VH some years and years ago, but I don't remember on what topics or anything else now. Surely we interacted in posts.

Please do!

It's always nice to have experienced posters here. There's several valued members at this site, and I'd like to add you to that list.

Thanks.
Will be happy for you to add me to the list. In the meantime I got some reading and catching up to do.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: admin (03-05-2012)