05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Free Member

So I finally have all my gear. To summarize again I have: JVC S9900U > datavideo TBC-1000 > SignVideo PA-100 Proc Amp. I added the Behringer Xenyx 1002B mixer to the set up. My pc has the Turtle Creek Santa Cruz audio card internally connected to my AIW7500. My processor is a 3.6 ghz P4 with a 1tb WD black "capture drive". I have a separated "system drive". I think the hardware is as close to a perfect set up as I could do?

My capture software is the VirtualDub 1.9.8. My MMC is 8.7. I am using Huffyuv v2.1.1 w/patch 0.2.5

AIW:
I have it set up just as the guide has it. Capture setting at 704 x 480. Works well, doesn't crash and looks like I don't have any audio/video synch issues. It's very easy to use.

VirtualDub:
First thing- it can be very confusing with all the settings. I think I have all the settings correct based on the guide.
- When I am in capture mode, under VIDEO, should I use "overlay" or "preview"? With overlay, the picture is choppy. With preview, the video plays smooth. I thought under the guide, I should have checked "overlay"?
- I think just about every capture clip- the audio/video is out of synch? Not sure what causing it?

A few questions:
1. Since I feel more comfortable with MMC, should I just stick with that? Or should I continue to try to get VirtualDub working? Is there much of a difference?
2. If I end up using MMC, can I then still use VirtualDub for running some filters after initial capture?
3. That leads me to the "filters" portion. Can you recommend some basic "universal" filters I should use for each tape? and the basic settings? I am pretty lost at this point with filters. Any help with this would be appreciated.
4. If I can get a hold of adobe premiere CS, could I use this without using VirtualDub filters?
5. When I open a file captured from AIW capture MMC, I get an error "AVI Stream 1 (audio) has a non zero start position of...... VirtualDub does not currently support a non-zero....". What is that and what should I do?
6. Alot of my captures, the audio/video is just a little off. Under file info (in VirtualDub) I can see that the length is always off. How can I fix this?

Audio mixer:
I can definitely tell that this can be very helpful. Just trying to grasp it's settings.
1. Under main tab(sound card)- what should be my "record settings" level be? Right now I have it at about 50% to 75%.
MAIN: Channel fade is at 0 or the top 10 level. Is this correct?
9/10: again, I have the channel fade at 0 to top 10 level. It looks like the channel fade and audio card "record" settings work hand in hand? The higher the "record settings" and channel fade, the higher the capture volume is?
Gain Line: the higher you move it (clockwise) the higher the capture volume. But more hiss? Counterclockwise = less record volume but also less hiss?
High/mid/low frequencies: it seems like I have all three at around -9 to -12. Is this correct? Looks like the "high" makes the biggest difference. Is this correct? Where should my settings be?
I realize every tape will require individual settings, but I am just looking for "basic settings" to start with, and from there I can adjust.

--

I am very eager to start this, and I feel like I am the closest I've ever been to making a complete capture file.
Ultimately I want to capture AVI > light filter/color adjustment > save to DVD.
I still plan on purchasing Mainconcept Reference (to convert). For mild color correction, can I use Adobe Premiere elements 10? Or do I need the CS? Or can I just use VirtualDub filters then Mainconcept?

I hope this all makes sense.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rappy View Post
I have: JVC S9900U > datavideo TBC-1000 > SignVideo PA-100 Proc Amp. I added the Behringer Xenyx 1002B mixer to the set up. My pc has the Turtle Creek Santa Cruz audio card internally connected to my AIW7500. My processor is a 3.6 ghz P4 with a 1tb WD black "capture drive". I have a separated "system drive". I think the hardware is as close to a perfect set up as I could do?
Looks good to me.

Quote:
My capture software is the VirtualDub 1.9.8. My MMC is 8.7. I am using Huffyuv v2.1.1 w/patch 0.2.5 AIW: I have it set up just as the guide has it. Capture setting at 704 x 480. Works well, doesn't crash and looks like I don't have any audio/video synch issues. It's very easy to use.
Excellent.

Quote:
VirtualDub: - When I am in capture mode, under VIDEO, should I use "overlay" or "preview"? With overlay, the picture is choppy. With preview, the video plays smooth. I thought under the guide, I should have checked "overlay"?
This is just the preview, so being choppy isn't an issue. The recording should not be choppy. However, you'll usually want to capture with the audio preview turned off. Audio preview has been known to drop frames, which in turn causes audio sync problems.

Quote:
- I think just about every capture clip- the audio/video is out of synch? Not sure what causing it?
See above. Confirm audio preview is off. You'll need to do mixer work prior to capture. Should you need to constantly tweak the mixer during capture, you'll want to find a way to split the mixer output to two devices -- (1) the capture card, and (2) something else for listening.

Quote:
A few questions:
1. Since I feel more comfortable with MMC, should I just stick with that? Or should I continue to try to get VirtualDub working? Is there much of a difference?
If ATI MMC works for AVI capturing, then use it. ATI MMC doesn't keep sync on AVI files on all cards and all systems, but it does for most. It's rarely (never?) out of sync on MPEG capturing. But when you want AVI, you want AVI.

Quote:
2. If I end up using MMC, can I then still use VirtualDub for running some filters after initial capture?
Yes, VirtualDub can be used at any time to process the lossless Huffyuv AVI files. In fact do not try to run filters during the VirtualDub capture, as that can lead to dropped frames, audio sync issues, etc. Capture vanilla, process later.

Quote:
3. That leads me to the "filters" portion. Can you recommend some basic "universal" filters I should use for each tape? and the basic settings? I am pretty lost at this point with filters. Any help with this would be appreciated.
For what? ATI MMC or VirtualDub? Even then, there's no such thing as a universal filter. The only time I'm able to create a "universal" type of filter is when every tape in a process batch has been shot/recorded and stored under identical or near-identical conditions. That's rare. The only thing that's really always required is to mask the overscan.

I've created a new mini-guide on masking the overscan in VirtualDub: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...erly-crop.html

Quote:
4. If I can get a hold of adobe premiere CS, could I use this without using VirtualDub filters?
Adobe Premiere is best used for color correction only, not any kind of noise removal. Never use Premiere for capturing.

Quote:
5. When I open a file captured from AIW capture MMC, I get an error "AVI Stream 1 (audio) has a non zero start position of...... VirtualDub does not currently support a non-zero....". What is that and what should I do?
The AVI file is corrupt. The file made during capture was bad. This should not happen. Were you using Huffyuv, or did you accidentally capture with uncompressed YUY2 video? That's a common issue on fully uncompressed video. Sometimes the write speed of the drives doesn't want to keep up with 75GB/hour YUY2 capturing, and audio is screwed up in the process.

Quote:
6. Alot of my captures, the audio/video is just a little off. Under file info (in VirtualDub) I can see that the length is always off. How can I fix this?
This usually means something is wrong with the I/O (disk writing), audio card, or the compression settings. Outside of that information, I don't know what else to tell you.

Quote:
Audio mixer: I can definitely tell that this can be very helpful. Just trying to grasp it's settings. 1. Under main tab(sound card)- what should be my "record settings" level be? Right now I have it at about 50% to 75%.
That's fine.

Quote:
MAIN: Channel fade is at 0 or the top 10 level. Is this correct? 9/10: again, I have the channel fade at 0 to top 10 level. It looks like the channel fade and audio card "record" settings work hand in hand? The higher the "record settings" and channel fade, the higher the capture volume is?
You don't want to use fade -- as in "fade in" or "fade out". That's a transition effect.

Quote:
Gain Line: the higher you move it (clockwise) the higher the capture volume. But more hiss? Counterclockwise = less record volume but also less hiss?
Yes. The louder the volume (gain), the more noise can be heard.

Quote:
High/mid/low frequencies: it seems like I have all three at around -9 to -12. Is this correct? Looks like the "high" makes the biggest difference. Is this correct? Where should my settings be? I realize every tape will require individual settings, but I am just looking for "basic settings" to start with, and from there I can adjust.
There's really no advice to give here. You have to let your ears judge. Just be sure the speakers being used to listen are good, too. You don't want to correct for bad speakers. Start from the defaults, and make changes as needed. Yes, the high setting will have the biggest effect on hiss, because that's the area where most hiss is.

Quote:
I am very eager to start this, and I feel like I am the closest I've ever been to making a complete capture file. Ultimately I want to capture AVI > light filter/color adjustment > save to DVD.
It sounds close to me, too.

Quote:
I still plan on purchasing Mainconcept Reference (to convert).
It's an excellent converter. If you want to try free methods first, you can also look at Avidemux.

Quote:
For mild color correction, can I use Adobe Premiere elements 10? Or do I need the CS? Or can I just use VirtualDub filters then Mainconcept?
For very minor color correction, VirtualDub's ColorMill filter works well.
It's included in the download here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...lters-pre.html

For more advanced color correction, it's hard to beat Premiere. And I don't know how advanced the current version of Premiere Elements is, in terms of color corrective filters. You'll want to download the free demo/trial from Adobe.com and give it a try. It's been a few years/versions since I did anything in Premiere Elements (and even then, it was just for testing). I've been using Premiere Pro since before it was called "Pro", and before an "Elements" even existed.

Quote:
I hope this all makes sense.
It does.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg virtualdub-overscan1.jpg (57.6 KB, 20 downloads)
File Type: jpg virtualdub-overscan2.jpg (43.3 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg virtualdub-overscan3.jpg (32.3 KB, 8 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.