digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Project Planning, Workflows (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/)
-   -   Video Editing Home Studio Setup Ideas (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-workflows/4229-video-editing-home.html)

VideoTechMan 05-23-2012 03:31 PM

Video Editing Home Studio Setup Ideas

2 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for some input on some setup ideas where I can have a modest setup for all my video and audio gear for my studio. I am using the master bedroom area for the studio since its pretty much the largest space I have available to use. The room size is about 11'x9' and as of right now, I have an L-based table setup, but I probably will build an AV shelving system for the VTR gear to set atop one of the tables (one being a door and the other an 48" foldout table.

I would figure as part of the project planning process I figure a good work area would be just as valid for good workflow. Plus it will also serve as my audio workstation too as I also want to get into podcasting and music composition.

Does anyone here have any pics of their video editing/workstation setup that they would like to share? I am more technically minded as I am not very good on the decorating end of things. The two pics I attached is what I have currently so far, but keep in mind, most of the stuff on the tables will be moved around and eventually organized as i can't stand a messy work environment.

Thanks for any help. :)

lordsmurf 05-25-2012 11:01 PM

I need to write something very long, and it would address this. I need another week on it.
Part of the reason it's taken so long is because I do want to shoot some images of hardware and setup to accompany the editorial.

I will say this: I hate tables. Unstable, flimsy crap. I want a high-density PB or wood (maple or oak) desk. When I clumsy around the room -- WHEN, not IF -- I'd be doubly pissed off if the whole table of expensive hardware went crashing down to the floor. So it needs to be trip proof, knee proof, etc. If I can jump up and down, and it moves, it's too weenie for my needs. I want Fred Flintstone build quality, not Walmart quality.

NJRoadfan 05-25-2012 11:44 PM

I have an IKEA GALANT system desk with a corner piece. Not cheap (my setup cost over $300) and made of quality materials. In the basement I have an old folding table, the ones with the steel folding legs and wood grain finish top. I don't think you can buy ones like that anymore, its likely 40 years old by now. Nice and solid, and I think people danced on top of it in the past without any problems.

VideoTechMan 06-04-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordsmurf (Post 20960)
I need to write something very long, and it would address this. I need another week on it.
Part of the reason it's taken so long is because I do want to shoot some images of hardware and setup to accompany the editorial.

I will say this: I hate tables. Unstable, flimsy crap. I want a high-density PB or wood (maple or oak) desk. When I clumsy around the room -- WHEN, not IF -- I'd be doubly pissed off if the whole table of expensive hardware went crashing down to the floor. So it needs to be trip proof, knee proof, etc. If I can jump up and down, and it moves, it's too weenie for my needs. I want Fred Flintstone build quality, not Walmart quality.

Definitely agree. If I had more woodworking skills I surely would build my own, beats anything store-made. Especially for the weight of the heavy gear we use so we need a good solid table that can deal with the weight. Look forward to seeing the finished editorial.