Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Free Member

Hi folks.

Wauw, what a place I found here. So much useful info to be found - I love it.

My mother-in-law has ordered me to convert all of her and her late husbands VHS-C tapes into DVD. No questions to be asked - just get it done. Well, actually I think it could be a funny project, so I accepted (as if I had a choise).

Having read some of the golden threads in here, I feel I'm well of on the right track, but of course I can use some advice since I'm a complete newbie in this field... willing to learn though

So far I have managed to get my hands on a Panasonic NV-SV 121 vcr. It's in good condition and plays standard tapes very well. Btw I'm only going to do PAL conversions.

Now I'm looking for a vhs-c adapter, and here is where I could use a little help. I'm in doubt what to buy since I would like to get best quality... Can i settle with a (new) no-name model or should a go for a brand e.g. JVC?

Hope someone can give some advice
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Free Member

I've only ever used one VHS-C adapter, so I can't provide much insight about different brands and models... but I will say that the one I've used has worked great: Panasonic "VHS Playpak" ... I'm not sure if they're still manufactured (I'd guess not), but the only Amazon hit has obscenely high prices:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Play.../dp/B00006JPWT

I do see a Maxell VHS-C adapter for $24.99, maybe an admin can comment if they know anything about it:
http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-VHS-C-A...ds=vhs+playpak

I do note a couple of 1-star reviews, but as discussed elsewhere on this forum, retail website customer reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

Maybe look for the Panasonic one on eBay or Craigslist.

Last edited by jbd5010; 02-01-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Said "thread"... meant "forum"
02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

The Maxell one is crap, its one of the non motorized units. The old Panasonic and JVC motorized adapters command a high price now. In my case it was cheaper to buy a late model practically never used SVHS-C camcorder that came with the adapter on ebay.
02-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The adapter is the JVC C-P7U. You'll find them on eBay. I see a bunch now!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I've never shopped on ebay before, so just to make it clear to me. I am going for this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JVC-CASS...item3a7df85947

rather than this?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VHS-C-Casset...item4d090d7355 The pictures confuse me
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM

Yep. That looks to be it.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

I see prices are still high. Search for (S)VHS-C camcorders too. Many will include the very same JVC C-P7U adapter for less.

Examples:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281059411859
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160967269909

Who cares if the camcorder is busted, they have the adapter. The 2nd camcorder likely just needs the heads cleaned.
02-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Free Member

Thanks again.

Great idea with the bundled set. I think my lack of knowledge shows in my search criterias on ebay. I couldn't find anything So thank you for links
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

"JVC GR-SXM" will show late model SVHS-C camcorders, while "JVC GR-AXM" will show the VHS-C models. I am not familiar with Panasonic's models, but I'm sure there are a few up there with a play pack as well.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: Boeniz (02-01-2013)
02-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Personally, I gave up on my CP7-U. Although it worked, it always made worrisome noises upon inserting a tape and also while playing it, and I was generally unconvinced that it handled my tapes properly. Something just wasn't right.

I settled on the motorized Panasonic adapter that came with my (long dead) camcorder instead, its performance is smooth and it's proven its reliability. Even played in a JVC deck about 50x, but that's before I knew any better so I've only played it in an NV-FS200 since. Point is I'm not replacing what ain't broke.

Anyway nothing against the CP7-U, I guess I got unlucky, but never go putting valuable tapes in any adapter - even a good model - before giving it a test run. VHS-C is so fragile, you can't truly trust it with anything. Some people even just respool to a standard VHS shell.

I'm using a Panasonic VW-TCA7E, if anyone's curious.
The following users thank Jarvis for this useful post: kpmedia (02-03-2013)
02-05-2013, 05:03 AM
Free Member

Thanks for your input Jarvis. Would your advice then be to buy a Panasonic adapter, since I'm planning on using a Panasonic vcr?
02-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Regardless of brand, you should only use VHS-C adapters in a high-end Panasonic VCR. Don't put them in a JVC deck.

Regarding the CP7-U, that was just my experience, everyone else here recommends that model so I trust it's able to perform well. Maybe mine was defective, I don't know, but I'm satisfied enough with my Panasonic to not bother with another purchase of the CP7-U. They seldom show up on their own anyway, and at high prices. I can recommend my VW-TCA7E as a viable option, if you're inclined to try it out. But again, always try a test tape in your adapter first, before you trust it with anything else.
02-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

I have used both the Panasonic adapter (mid 90s vintage) and the JVC one. Both are pretty much the same adapter inside, although the JVC shows signs of cost cutting. The Panasonic is hard to find now because so many were killed by leaking batteries. VHS-C tapes aren't exactly durable or high quality. I had a few that were questionable even in a camcorder. The safest method is to re-spool the tapes into a high quality VHS shell, but that is very time consuming when you have piles of tapes to transfer.
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Free Member

I don't have that many vhs-c tapes to convert, so maybe the re-spool thing is a good idea. I think I have read something about that in here, but now I simply can't find it again... was it a guide??? Well, perhaps I just confused. Anyway, I just bought an adapter on Ebay (the Panasonic VW-TCA7E)... Thanks for your advise.

Next I have to decide in a capture device. I would really prefer doing it in Win 7. Can you guys recommend anything?
02-07-2013, 11:31 AM

How many are there? Because it's usually long-term more economical to pay a service (ours, etc) to convert those tapes for you. We tell anybody with less than 100 tapes to contact us. We have a huge number of high-end equipment, in top condition (regular maintenance), and many years of experience. You'll have to spend the same amount to DIY, and you still have to do all the work. So think about that, and save yourself the hassle.

Just an option.

02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Free Member

There are only about 20 tapes It is not so much a matter of price or time. I would simply like to learn how to do it Keeps me busy and out of trouble. If I can figure this out, the are a lot of regular VHS tapes to do as well, so I don't mind byuing the equiptment.
02-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

Some of the equipment you will want/need is:

a Time Base Corrector such as the AVToolbox AVT-8710 or DataVideo TBC-1000
a good VCR like a Panasonic AG-1980 or 5710. or a JVC SR-V10
a capture device such as a ATI AIW 9800 AGP or ATI 600 USB. OR a DVD recorder such as a JVC DR-M10 or DR-MV100 (You want a DVD recorder that has the LSI Logic Domino chipset)

(optional but recommended) a proc amp such as an Elite Video BVP-4 Plus or SignVideo/Studio1 DR-1000 Detailer
(optional but recommended) a soundboard such as a Behringer Xenyx 1002B

If you are going to do the work on a computer, then it is highly suggested to get an IPS monitor as they are color accurate. Such as a ViewSonic vp2365wb, a LG IPS, or an HP IPS.

And if you are looking for a good TV to monitor the output or simply as a good TV to watch the end product on, a Samsung UN55EH6000FXZA is one of the best LED TVs out for around $900

Most of the equipment listed minus the Monitors, TV, and ATI 600 USB won't be able to be bought new. You will have to use sites such as ebay, Amazon, ecost and the digitalFAQ.com Marketplace to find it all.

Keep in mind that video work like this is a long term project and it can take quite awhile to amass the proper equipment when starting out and can turn out to be costly and well into the $1000 plus range. VCR's you buy used may need to be serviced or repaired before even being usable, and you want to make sure that anything you do purchase used comes from a smoke free environment.

Hope this has been of help.
-JMP

- Check out my latest Editorial.
The following users thank JMP for this useful post: kpmedia (02-12-2013)
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Free Member

i do VHS-C tapes by respooling them too after i had an irreplaceable one eaten.
this also give you the advantage of being able to run them safely in a JVC deck.
it is easy.
just rewind the tape all the way on the the non-geared spool.
dissemble both the compact tape and the donor VHS
then snip the leader and clip it on to a full size VHS reel.
then assemble the VHS tape with the 1 little reel on the feed side.
then fast forward all the way to the end , then swap the feed reel as well.
04-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Free Member

I've been using the Maxell VHS-C adapter for over 10 years now. Works like a charm, and it is very easy to use, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a VHS-C adapter.
04-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomswift View Post
I've been using the Maxell VHS-C adapter for over 10 years now. Works like a charm, and it is very easy to use, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a VHS-C adapter.
then you have VERY VERY lucky.
but the 1st time that adapter destroys and irreplaceable tape you might not recommend it again.