Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Went to another thrift store and I found another copy of Land Before Time. No case, but it says 1989 on the spine label. Still not the right one?

Some other tape was described on the packaging as being recorded in the "best quality EP mode"...
Yeah I think that's common with budget distribution houses or companies selling "priced to own" tapes back when renting was usually the most economical option. Media Home Entertainment and Video Treasures actually had a ton of slow speed releases in the mid 1980s.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-27-2013, 02:31 AM
Free Member

Here are the two tapes I have. Does yours only say 1988, LS?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg land-spines.jpg (139.5 KB, 100 downloads)
File Type: jpg land-top1.jpg (29.5 KB, 96 downloads)
File Type: jpg land-top2.jpg (48.5 KB, 96 downloads)
03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Free Member

Hope everyone's interest doesn't wane before we even get one capture done... Still picking through thrift stores and haven't found Flashdance locally, or anything from before about 1988 for that matter.

Home Alone is surprisingly noisy, or at least the copy I got plays back with a lot of noise. The wavy-type rather than the grainy/particulate-type, if that makes any sense. Not necessarily a bad thing for a comparison like this to include some iffy sources as long as they are reproducible.
03-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Hope everyone's interest doesn't wane before we even get one capture done... Still picking through thrift stores and haven't found Flashdance locally, or anything from before about 1988 for that matter.

Home Alone is surprisingly noisy, or at least the copy I got plays back with a lot of noise. The wavy-type rather than the grainy/particulate-type, if that makes any sense. Not necessarily a bad thing for a comparison like this to include some iffy sources as long as they are reproducible.
I'm still interested! I'm letting you guys lead the way though -- as results start to come in, I'll chime in with mine as well.
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Same ISBN, but the UPC is different: 047897808647
Visited four more thrift stores over the past two days. Looks like the copy of The Land Before Time that I have matches the one with this UPC, as I found another copy that actually included the jacket; top and spine stickers match the one I have.

Looked through boxes and shelves and boxes and boxes, but there's very little around here from the pre-Macrovision years. No luck on the Flashdance front but I did find an HBO Video copy of The Dark Crystal that Wikipedia says is from May 1984.

The Dark Crystal | ISBN 1-55803-325-4 | 026539196638
04-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
I'll be posting my caps this week or next. It just takes me a while to do things these days.

FTP access to CDN4 can be provided for uploading PNGs or sample clips.
That's one of the servers used to store files. It's better than Dropbox, whatever, because we control it, and it'll never get deleted.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Free Member

Dedicated space sounds great!

I wonder if we might also be able to create a consumer-grade test tape that we could ship to one other? With recordings of say, DVE patterns, the MiscTestPatterns stills that were previously shown on VideoHelp, a pattern of straight vertical lines recorded on a crappy wobbly VCR, and some TV or movie content. Each person could even add their own recording to the end of the tape before mailing it to the next guy.

Just a thought I had. Maybe crazy.
06-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Free Member

Have you been able to get any captures done, LS?

For aligned screenshot displays with as much data as possible packed into one frame, I created a script that stacks together the original frame, Y, U & V (since the greyscale resolution can be good while the color sucks), Y scope, and UV scope. The resolution fits onto a 1920x1080 monitor but is too big for the forum's current attachment limits.
06-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Yes I did! I'm going to start this, plus other tests, in July. I'm finally ready!
I want to test each VCR, on each of several capture cards, with various types of source. I've found some interested things!

We can attach large forum images in a RAR or ZIP.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Free Member

Any of you guys still around? I'm almost ready to share a few comparisons myself.

Shockingly, The Matrix: Collector's Edition fullscreen VHS appears to be Macrovision-free! Does anyone have the regular edition to check? Should be a widely available tape that would make a nice comparison for dark scenes.

The Matrix: Collector's Edition | ISBN 0-7907-4260-8 | 085391698531
11-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Free Member

Never mind, the CE is actually the regular wide-release retail version. Only the rental-exclusive version lacked the extras. Good stuff.

I checked out another 1999 WB VHS, You've Got Mail. Also Macrovision-free. Did WB give up trying to protect VHS once DVDs became the target of piracy?
11-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Any of you guys still around? I'm almost ready to share a few comparisons myself.

Shockingly, The Matrix: Collector's Edition fullscreen VHS appears to be Macrovision-free! Does anyone have the regular edition to check? Should be a widely available tape that would make a nice comparison for dark scenes.

The Matrix: Collector's Edition | ISBN 0-7907-4260-8 | 085391698531
I was around, but now I just stop in once awhile to see what's changed. My :

1) Doesn't seem like any of us can come to a consensus on similar videos for comparison purposes. It makes it easy when EVERYONE can obtain and have a copy of the same VHS tape. The thread is called "Who wants to compare our VCR's"? How do we compare VCR's if we don't have something similar to use as a comparison? MONTHS ago, I suggested we come up with a list. Then, I, you, and everyone else can obtain the same VHS (or as close as possible) and digitize the same scene. Who should choose the tapes? Well, we just need to come to an agreement. I don't care if LordSmurf is the one who chooses them for us (since he's one of the PRO's). So my question is therefore, what are we comparing?

2) If we came up with VHS tapes to compare, maybe noting the time positions in the VHS where the scene was captured saves me and everyone else time when they try to capture the same scene. You captured Titanic at time 01:15:00 (hour:minute:seconds) then I know where to go to capture the scene at the same position. You then post your captures...I post mine close to nearly the same....everyone is happy.

3) I was very excited about this project, but then what was said on my part out of the enthusiasm was taken the wrong way (ego of my VCR vs your VCR being better which I meant in a sporting sort of way got taken personal...as if I was trying to put others down) . We worked it out, but I just decided to walk away from this thread since then.

There's no coordination despite me suggesting we come up with a list. For example, 1 or 2 videos EVERYONE should make sure they have for comparison purposes. Then, others can go that further mile by comparing other video's not on the list. That makes it fun and productive.

Hey but don't listen to me. I suppose that's why since March of 2013, there's hardly been much action or others people helping to contribute to this thread. I love the idea! It's a fun way to see which VCR's really produce quality transfers to digital. It helps you...it helps me...it helps everyone. But, in my , there is no coordination.

I look at this thread and go, I have no clue which video's we are comparing? I have no clue what the time positions in the scene people are comparing (even approximations would help). For example, the Titanic scene captures...where are they within the movie? It just makes it very complicated and cumbersome. Again, just my

When and if I see action from others contributing, then I'd be happy to chime in. Meanwhile, I'll just check in once and while and see what others choose to do .