03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I have been reading your posts and posts you left for others and I buymy equipments base of what you recommend. I have a situation that needs lightto this matter.

I bought a Jvc sr-v10u which works excellent when I receivedit. I just order the Datavideo TBC-1000 and awaiting its arrival. I could not makeup my mind on the capture card to purchase but I went ahead and purchased theATI AIW 650 PCI version not PCIe. My main goal is to record lossless recordingfrom the vhs. The computer motherboard today does not come with AGP slots whichI could not purchase the ATI AIW 9600xt 256mb and I did not feel the ATI 600usb will capture lossless since it doesn’t have the ATI Theatre chip.

I do knowthey make the ATI AIW 550 in PCI version. In one post you stated the 650 andthe 550 is junk and would not be happy with the purchase unless getting the ATIAIW 9600xt. Is this true since the new motherboard made today doesn’t come withAGP slots and I want to build my own computer just for video transfer?

I alsowant to purchase the TBC-6000 or TBC-7000 to have more flexibility but wouldlike to know your thoughts on it and how it compares to the TBC-1000.

Should Iupgrade the TBC or stay with the TBC-1000 I already purchased?
Should I try tofind an older computer with AGP to get the ATI AIW 9600 or would I be fine withthe 550/650 PCI version?

I can’t make up my mind and need your assistance.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Hi there, welcome to the site.

The JVC SR-V10U is a great VCR. We have at least 3-4 ourselves.
The TBC-1000 is a good one, too. Again, we have several TBC-100/TBC-1000 units here for our work.

ATI All In Wonder cards (AIW) are PCI, AGP and PCI express (PCIE).
I forget what ATI 600/650 cards are (PCI? PCI-E?), but they have both internal and external (USB2) models.
All of these cards are fine.

AVI is software capture anyway -- there is no AVI hardware capture cards from anybody.

I honestly don't remember why the 550 was crappy. It's literally been years. I do know the ATI 600 USB cards are fine.
There's one on my desk, to make guides this month.

There's no need for anything beyond a TBC-1000, unless its a TBC with an advanced proc amp. (i.e. not like the AVT-8710)

I find the best capture systems are the ATI AIW ones, only older P4 hardware, using Windows XP. So that's what I would do. It's what I've done. To me, the capture cards is the most important, and I build the computer around it. I don't build a computer, and then try to find a capture card.

In addition to anything you find on eBay, be sure to check out Amazon, too.

Hope that answers your questions.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Free Member

Wow, Thanks for the response. The picture quality from the JVC v10u is just amazing. I just received the Datavideo TBC-1000 today but haven’t had a chance to use it. I was able to get the Intel D865PERL P4 MOBO with P4 extreme 3.4ghz and 4gb of ram for $76.00 Ebay item# 230948623962, I will build it for the capturing of the video's. I did order 4 capture cards which I went overboard. It was the ATI AIW 600 USB”NEW”, AIW X1900”NEW”, AIW 9600PRO”USED” and AIW 9600”USED”. I bought 4 just to test which one will be best for capturing but what is your experience on those and which one will be best for capturing. Also, do you know which software would be best for creating DVD menus, I would like to create it from scratch rather than picking what the software came with?
03-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Just be careful with that motherboard. They are known to have defective capacitors. The board looks ok in the images, but its worth a double check when it arrives. You better have the proper power supply and case cooling, those Prescotts run super hot compared to modern CPUs.
03-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The ATI 600 USB -- I actually don't think it's an "AIW" -- is good. Watch for luma spikes. Some are defective, it seems.

The ATI AIW x1900 is good. Watch for dropped frames. It's not compatible with some motherboards.

The ATI AIW 9600 is good. Watch for electrical interference patterns in the image. This card isn't well shielded, and some motherboards are too noisy or "leak" power.

Those are thing things to watch for.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
03-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the heads up. Is there a way to fix the luma spikes from the ATI 600 USB? Is there a way to stop the drop frames from the ATI AIW X1900? IS there a way to stop the electrical interference from the ATI AIW 9600? I was reading in the forum that lordsmurf had the ATI 9600 modify, How can I do the same thing so I don’t have any issues?
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Free Member

im putting together a AIW PC right now that will be solely used for capture.
i scored a AIW9000 and a AIW9200 both brand new in sealed boxes.
are there any known issue with either of those 2 cards?
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksjager View Post
im putting together a AIW PC right now that will be solely used for capture.
i scored a AIW9000 and a AIW9200 both brand new in sealed boxes.
are there any known issue with either of those 2 cards?
No known issues with those cards.

(Not that the other cards are bad ... they just may have those errors.)

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: volksjager (03-27-2013)