Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Free Member

Hi, I have been reading your posts and posts you left for others and I buymy equipments base of what you recommend.

I have a situation that needs lightto this matter. I bought a Jvc sr-v10u which works excellent when I receivedit.

I just order the Datavideo TBC-1000 and awaiting its arrival. I could not makeup my mind on the capture card to purchase but I went ahead and purchased theATI AIW 650 PCI version not PCIe. My main goal is to record lossless recordingfrom the vhs.

The computer motherboard today does not come with AGP slots whichI could not purchase the ATI AIW 9600xt 256mb and I did not feel the ATI 600usb will capture lossless since it doesn’t have the ATI Theatre chip. I do knowthey make the ATI AIW 550 in PCI version. In one post you stated the 650 andthe 550 is junk and would not be happy with the purchase unless getting the ATIAIW 9600xt. Is this true since the new motherboard made today doesn’t come withAGP slots and I want to build my own computer just for video transfer?

I alsowant to purchase the TBC-6000 or TBC-7000 to have more flexibility but wouldlike to know your thoughts on it and how it compares to the TBC-1000.
Should Iupgrade the TBC or stay with the TBC-1000 I already purchased?
Should I try tofind an older computer with AGP to get the ATI AIW 9600 or would I be fine withthe 550/650 PCI version?

I can’t make up my mind and need your assistance.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Did you get the 600 or the 650?

Because those cards are NOT the same -- the 600 is fine, while the 650 has uncorrectable AGC issues that ruins the video image quality. It cause the picture to have incorrect brightness and darkness levels all through the captured video. It was a design flaw.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Free Member

I was able to purchase 2 ATI AIW 9600 New in the box for $60.00 with free shipping. I purchased the AIW USB 600 first and was disappointed in the quality since it capture with interlaced on all the recordings. From then I purchased new AIW X1900 but didn't bother using it yet since I came across the AIW 9600. I am using TBC-1000 with JVC V10u and capturing with the AIW USB 600 at the moment. Is there any setting in Virtualdub with Huffyuv to deinterlacing while capturing the videos? That is my major problem at the moment.
10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Free Member

Oh dear. Let me put it this way: if you are truly interested in lossless capturing, then you WANT to capture your VHS tapes in interlaced form. That's the native format of the signal.
10-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Site Staff | Video

You want interlacing -- why do you want to deinterlace?

10-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Free Member

This is the problem I am getting in the videos below when transferred from VHS to AIW 600 USB. I get the same result when finalize transferred to DVD. Is there any way to fix this problem, all my capture videos are the same way?

1.JPG
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

2.JPG
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Free Member

What are you using to view these DVDs that you've created?

None of your screenshots are the correct resolution (or match each other), causing the interlacing to display corrupted.
10-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

Note: The forum has a max display size of 850px so it doesn't stretch the page. It's shrinks all image to that size. To show anything larger, stick it in a zip, and attach the zip file. But that's not causing. The above images are 709x425, which is odd.

Interlace lines ONLY show on a computer, not a TV. To "fix" it on a computer, watch the DVD with the free VLC media player and enable to the deinterlace filters on playback. The 2x Yadif is one of the best methods in use right now.

If you deinterlace video, you throw away information. For DVD, that's bad!

For streaming, however, it's required. You must do this for video on Youtube, Hulu, etc.

But here the things -- even studios screw that up. I have MANY botched videos converted "professionally". The last one I saw was the Hulu release of the 2003 L.A. Dragnet with Ed ONeil from Married With Children and Modern Family. I have a home recording that's superior! How is that?

Deinterlacing create ugly jaggy lines on screen. In August, I bought the DVD box set of That 70s Show (it was only $30 from Amazon.com).They really screwed up several seasons -- S6 especially -- by deinterlacing! And S7 has horrible audio compression issues. If studios can easily screw it up, think about how easy it must be to do! How many home consumers have totally mucked up their videos?

Again, leave interlacing alone. For DVD, it should be there. You get 100% of the video image this way.