07-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Free Member

I'm trying to preserve videos of my family from 20 years ago by putting them onto dvds/external hdd, I've been reading everything I can about the process and noticed you to be very knowledgeable and I am coming to you in hopes that you could help me.

I have a Hitachi VHS FX600 VCR. About 40x VHS-C TC-20 tapes (different types like ER, EHG, EX) using a VHS-C to VHS adapter, about 10x SKC T-120 SuperHQ VHS tapes, and a few 8mm tapes.

I'm not sure what the best approach is and could really use your expertise.

Sincerely,
Matt

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-25-2014, 08:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Those are excellent tapes -- TDK EHG, JVC EX, SKC S-VHS.

But that's not a good VCR -- especially not for S-VHS and VHS-C source! Ideally, you'd want a Panasonic AG-1980P for the VHS-C tapes. Most normal VCRs, even good VCRs like JVC S-VHS decks, eat the tapes. Repear, EAT THE TAPES! That's not good.

Having so few tapes as you do, about 50 total, it would cost the same (or less) to just send the videos to a good service, rather than try to DIY and hope for the best. It's easier for you, and a service should have experience and skill at transferring video. (Keyword: should, so be careful who you select!)

We have services here at The Digital FAQ, but I'm not trying to hard sell you anything. Just telling you the facts of the situation. (If interesting, Contact Us.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs